• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Magazine Top 100 UK Restaurants

I particularly like how No55. "The Best Restaurant in Wales" is apparently in London.

Cymru am byth

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Quite a weird list. Anyone know what the criteria are.

For example #36 Porthminster cafe is a fantastic location with good food, whilst #58 The Walnut Tree is very good food in quite an austere dining room. I love them both, but would go to The Walnut Tree for the food, but Porthminster for the views and a bottle of wine on the deck. Is it a list that gives as much weighting to the ambience etc as it does to the food?

#3 is interesting - especially given the panning the FOH service received on the board over the last few days.

I particularly like how No55. "The Best Restaurant in Wales" is apparently in London.

Cymru am byth

I see The Square has moved to Knightsbridge. That'll bring down the house prices :cool:

(The Square isn't my favourite for those who haven't had the patience to follow the odd posts I've made about it over the years).

H

I think that is possibly the most useless ranking that I have seen!! Arbutus better than the Capital, Sat Baines et al!!! Bonkers!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Ramsons better than Locatelli, does better mean more authentic :smile:

Fifteen better thane Deanes, Purnells, Vineyard, Ledbury, The Capital etc. What better for pseudo ethical issues?

26. Panoramic Restaurant Liverpool!!!!! Best for panoramic views of Liverpool.

A fairly arbitrary list, adjusted to give the provinces a tickle then poorly proof read before publication.

There's nothing to see here. Lets move on.

:-)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Marc at Fraiche rightly beats a lot of big names.

Agree with adey on this. Which means the list can't be all wrong - in spite of a couple of rather odd north west inclusions at 82 & 93. Not bad places - but in the country's top 100??

John Hartley

I know its no 100 on a list of 100 but Hungry Monk?

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

At least the fat duck didnt come first for a change. Northcote better than fat duck? And I see Rocco Forte has moved the entire Balmoral hotel from Edinburgh (East Lothian) to Aberdeenshire, which was nice of him. I'l also want to know what the criteria was/is. I guess this will keep us unecessarily busy for a while

Nice to see Sharrow Bay on there at least, probably just because Renee Zellweger stayed there mind.

I've slept in her bed.

Or, at least, the same bed she slept in when at Holbeck Ghyll. An exceptionally expensive and wonderfully civilised anniversary treat Mrs H & I gave ourselves. Two dinners there were none too shabby but the highlight was being in the hot-tub whilst it was pissing down and no-one but the sheep watching us.

John Hartley

From my experience there are some good restaurants on the list. However, with no information given on the criteria used in its compilation, it lacks overall credibility.

A specific example which illustrates this for me is the inclusion of Alex Aitken's Simply Poussin and the non appearance of his superior le Poussin.