• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jambalaya Revelation

Doodad

We eat jambalaya alot. It and fried rice are our favorite clean out the fridge usage.

So, I had a thought one night about that. And it works great. Make jambalaya like fried rice. No worries about rice texture or the thick and thin of the "sauce."

I make the tomato base with the usual spices and ingredients and browned sausage and chicken. I cook rice ahead of time so it has a chance to cool. Then, at dinner time, I stir fry the trinity, add the rice and then the sauce and shrimp like it was a stir fry. It comes out great. :smile:

We eat jambalaya alot.  It and fried rice are our favorite clean out the fridge usage.

So, I had a thought one night about that.  And it works great. Make jambalaya like fried rice.  No worries about rice texture or the thick and thin of the "sauce."

I make the tomato base with the usual spices and ingredients and browned sausage and chicken.  I cook rice ahead of time so it has a chance to cool.  Then, at dinner time, I stir fry the trinity, add the rice and then the sauce and shrimp like it was a stir fry.  It comes out great. :smile:

That's really interesting! Do you feel like the rice gets that flavor really seeped into it, or is it that it's impossible to tell since it's all coated with the sauce??

Got a quick idea for gumbo? :biggrin:

Microwave roux is easy--almost so easy that it is no fun. Combine flour & fat in a microwave safe pyrex measuring cup (big enough for stirring) and nuke in increments until browned as you like. Nothing to it.

Jambalaya, fried rice style--now, you won't convert me on that one. First off, I would never-ever-ever put tomatoes in jambalaya. I'm firmly in the brown jambalaya camp, and I think that much of the flavor of the dish results from browning the seasonings & meats deeply, then parching/toasting/browning the rice before the liquid is added to the pot. You need a good fond on the bottom of the pot in order to fully develop all of the flavors.

Your quick jambalaya sounds like what I know as congris. Seasonings are smothered down, odds and ends are added to the pot, and cooked rice is added to the mix. The usual congris ingredients are leftover ham/tasso/smoked sausage and blackeyed peas (or crowder peas or field peas or baby limas), though you can add whatever is hanging around the kitchen. I've had it with leftover diced chicken, fresh corn kernels, a little chopped tomato and petits pois on many occasions.

Microwave roux is easy--almost so easy that it is no fun.  Combine flour & fat in a microwave safe pyrex measuring cup (big enough for stirring) and nuke in increments until browned as you like.  Nothing to it.

Jambalaya, fried rice style--now, you won't convert me on that one.  First off, I would never-ever-ever put tomatoes in jambalaya.  I'm firmly in the brown jambalaya camp, and I think that much of the flavor of the dish results from browning the seasonings & meats deeply, then parching/toasting/browning the rice before the liquid is added to the pot.  You need a good fond on the bottom of the pot in order to fully develop all of the flavors.

Your quick jambalaya sounds like what I know as congris.  Seasonings are smothered down, odds and ends are added to the pot, and cooked rice is added to the mix.  The usual congris ingredients are leftover ham/tasso/smoked sausage and blackeyed peas (or crowder peas or field peas or baby limas), though you can add whatever is hanging around the kitchen.  I've had it with leftover diced chicken, fresh corn kernels, a little chopped tomato and petits pois on many occasions.

See I am in Atlanta and grew up with low country style cajun foods.

I am definitely checking out congris.

This seems as good a place as any to ask this: does anyone have a really good on-line/mail order source for tasso and/or andouille? Over the years I've tried several, and too many tassos, for instance, are just poor-quality pork butt coated with spices. I remember a deeply smoked, delicious one I used to get fifteen or more years ago, but have no clue where it came from.

This seems as good a place as any to ask this: does anyone have a really good on-line/mail order source for tasso and/or andouille? Over the years I've tried several, and too many tassos, for instance, are just poor-quality pork butt coated with spices. I remember a deeply smoked, delicious one I used to get fifteen or more years ago, but have no clue where it came from.

You could start here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Tasso is like beer--everybody I know has a favorite brand, and loyalty runs deep. I'm partial to the tasso from the Best Stop Supermarket in Scott, LA. Pork and turkey versions are available; both are excellent.

http://www.thebeststopsupermarket.com/ I don't think you can order online, though you can place an order by phone. It's way cheaper than the guanciale I recently bought from Niman Ranch!