• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Reports: 2008 Food TV NYC Wine & Food Festival

Welcome to the first installment of a new component of eG Features, eG Reports. I'm heading south to Manhattan's meatpacking district as the Society's man on the scene at the Food Network NYC Wine & Food Festival. I'll be at the event starting Friday and ending late Sunday, and there's a lot to cover.

To do the Society proud, I'm going to need your help. Your intrepid reporter will have behind-the-scenes access to a number of different festival events (more on that in a sec), and I'd like to ask the questions and explore the issues that Society members care about the most. So let's use this topic to start a conversation about what elements of this festival would be most interesting to you.

Here are the events to which I've got press access:

Beverage Media Trade Tasting
Fri Oct 10, 2-5p
Meatpacking Uncorked
Fri Oct 10 6-9p
Sake Tasting at ONO
Sat Oct 11 2-4p
Cocktail Clinic with Dale DeGroff & David Wondrich
Sat Oct 11 3:45-5p
The Line at Le Cirque
Sat Oct 11 5-6p
Beef Tour
Sun Oct 12 1-3p
Everyone's Talking About Food and Restaurants - But Who Do You Trust?
Sun Oct 12 2:30-5:30p

Along with other events, I've also got a few surprises up my sleeves -- more on that later.

As I get started, I've been wondering about a few questions of my own, some of which are related to the events themselves (what the heck happened at the railroad terminus in the meatpacking district, anyway?) and some of which are about the festival. As you can see from the website, there are going to be a lot of Food Network "personalities" at these sessions.

What sorts of questions could go beyond fawning over the personalities and get to the heart of what food media is about in the 21st century? For whom are these events designed, and what purpose do they serve? Does the Food Network have a legitimate role in the serious culinary world -- and if so, what is it?

I'm just getting started with my questions, and I'd love to see yours. Wondering how Dave Wondrich did all that crazy research for Imbibe!? Got a beef with Gael Greene? Anything in particular you want me to ask Dale DeGroff or Eric Ripert?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I am particularly interested in hearing about the "Everyone's Talking About Food and Restaurants - But Who Do You Trust?" session, especially in light of the fact that it is both sponsored by Zagat at moderated by Nina Zagat. Which to me brings up the question: who can you trust about who you can trust? I will be curious to hear how pro-crowdsourcing the panel appears, or whether you really feel that it is being moderated impartially.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

This should be an interesting event, especially in light of all he global economic turmoil. It will be interesting to see if that is glossed over or a major topic as it inevitably will become.

The event I am most personally interested in and wish I could be at is the conversation between Bourdain and Adria. I would ask Ferran about his incredible, grueling, upcoming travel schedule.

Have fun!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I am particularly interested in hearing about the "Everyone's Talking About Food and Restaurants - But Who Do You Trust?" session, especially in light of the fact that it is both sponsored by Zagat at moderated by Nina Zagat. Which to me brings up the question: who can you trust about who you can trust? I will be curious to hear how pro-crowdsourcing the panel appears, or whether you really feel that it is being moderated impartially.

I second that session!

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I'm very interested in the "Who do you trust?" panel as well. The Zagat and Michelin NY guides are just out, and I imagine that will be part of the discussion. However, I'll be interested to know if anyone has any reliable data on where diners really go to get opinions about food and restaurants. Methinks that the Old Media types may make the case for -- surprise! -- trusting Old Media types, and Josh may make the case for trusting the democratic masses via the New Media (save himself, of course, when he publishes a book). Eric Ripert is an interesting outlier, so... who knows.

Alas, I can't make it, but I'd have loved to get up to the west side for the Bourdain/Adria discussion, particularly given what John has posted about Bourdain's comments about tasting menus during his session with the very critical Marco Pierre White at StarChefs 2008. I can't imagine the Tony & Ferran Show turning into a real debate, but boy wouldn't that be interesting to watch if they did.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I don't think Bourdain is with Adria to be an antagonist. Tony is a fan of Adria's. In fact, one can say that Adria helped put Tony on the map as AB's show on elBulli got a lot of critical praise early in AB's television career. It certainly got a lot of play here. Still, it would be interesting to see if the issue of his conversation with MPW comes up and what AB's response will be. I really wish that I could be there for that.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Ok people I did what I felt was almost the hopeless and expensive task of getting tickets to the NYC FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL BURGER BASH in Brooklyn Friday night...If you have been under a rock here it is:

http://www.nycwineandfoodfestival.com/2008...ts.php?event=91

NOW...I am surprising my girlie with the tickets and she is a stickler on dressing to the occasion, what the heck do I tell her to wear? I mean its a "Burger" event, jeans and sneakers come to mind but then again its should be celeb studded being the Marquee Event of the whole festival. Should I dust off the Brioni sports coat and cufflinks...HELPPPPPPP!!!

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated...I will update this post after the event on what we wore with pics and all if anyone cares...

"I bid you peace, until we meet again"

~Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith

You got the most buzzed about ticket that's for sure! I think nice dark jeans with a button down blouse or black pants with a basic blouse with scarf and accessories could be a good way to mix it up. Of course, not too fancy as it's possible to get food on them and you want to be comfortable (not too tight of course!). That's my wild guess / suggestion. Tell us how it is. I'll be at the Sweet party, Chelsea Market After Dark, Grand Tasting, and the Mohegan Sunset party and have been contemplating what to wear too. I'll post some comments here and will be blogging about it on my site as well. It's my first time trying out a lot of the more famous local chefs / foods so I'm excited about that. I regret that wine makes me sleepy since it looks like there is a LOT for the wine enthusiasts to enjoy.

I chose them because my focus is desserts and I think there will be sweets at all of those events, I do a dessert column in comic strip format for The L Magazine and even more coverage (art, photos, writing) on my website citysweettooth.com. I think the Sweet party especially will be a great opportunity to try lots of great desserts at once. Usually when covering an event I like to pick out my favorite 4 or so dishes and draw them for my comic. For buzz: I agree that the Bourdain event looks good and the "Who Do You Trust" looks good too. I'm not as much into it for the celebrity appearances, mainly to try new foods so I didn't go out of my way to get celeb. event passes.

Yeah, I'm hoping that some of the things I'm attending are actually worthwhile. That Le Cirque event could be really interesting or a back-slapping wash, for example.

I'm increasingly eager to attend the meatpacking district event. The more I read around the more interesting it seems.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

So, I had a fabulous time at the Chelsea Market After Dark event. I think if they do it again next year it would definitely be worth the $75. There was a fun party vibe (live music, DJing and some dancing too), lots of great food and samples, some of my faves were Eleni's Caramel Apple Mini Cupcake special, Morimoto's Lamb Carpaccio, the Bobby Flay burger (though if I was alone I probably would not have bothered struggling through the crowd to get one, my friend got it for me), Chelsea Thai's Mango salad, and much more. There was just so much to try including all of the wines - so it was definitely a good value for attendees. For me the best part was meeting some of the people behind the food. I met Eleni's icing manager, Christine, and Franky the artisan of L'Arte Del Gelato. It's just so nice to meet them in person and you could see they were having fun getting to interact with everybody. I did an extensive blog post here about it with loads of photos if you want to check that out.

http://www.citysweettooth.com/?p=83

Edited by CitySweetTooth (log)

Just checked in at the press lounge at the Gansevoort Hotel and about to head over to the Beverage Media Trade Tasting at Pier 54.

Abby, that Chelsea Market After Dark event looked pretty busy. The crowd around Flay makes me wonder what that burger bash will be like....

ETA: Due to a ticket mix-up, I think I'm not going to be attending the Zagat panel Sunday afternoon.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

ETA: Due to a ticket mix-up, I think I'm not going to be attending the Zagat panel Sunday afternoon.

Bummer! You should be on that panel.

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm very much looking forward to reading your reports, Chris. In particular I'll be interested to see your take on the overall level of seriousness of the events.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm very much looking forward to reading your reports, Chris. In particular I'll be interested to see your take on the overall level of seriousness of the events.

I would expect that the events will be geared much more to the general public than to culinary professionals with perhaps a few exceptions. Nevertheless, it should be a good party.

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes but events aimed at the public can vary in gravitas, ranging from the highbrow content the 92nd Street Y provides to total garbage. Ditto for events targeted at professionals.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Beverage Media Trade Tasting

Fri Oct 10, 2-5p

Pier 54, Hudson River Park

(Entrance at 10th Avenue and 15th Street)

Well, this one didn't start out so well. See if you can guess what Big Box Retailer sponsored the, um, opening park distribution area:

gallery_19804_437_229240.jpg

gallery_19804_437_137556.jpg

gallery_19804_437_69155.jpg

Yes, it's a Target World, and we are all only passing through it. Extra credit for the Not Quite Top Chef shown above.

After that red-n-white gauntlet, we crossed the street and had a rather odd walk up to Pier 54:

gallery_19804_437_137512.jpg

The event itself is in two tents encasing two long aisles:

gallery_19804_437_109513.jpg

Overall, there's a lot to poke fun at. Evian has dressed up models with pink skirts and white-rimmed sunglasses to hand out water; Bertolli and Ferrero Rocher and Viva paper towels are out in force. And it's clear that the beverage industry has an affinity for 80s-cut pinstripe suits. It's a fun vibe, though, with a few celebs mingling with the hoi polloi, and I think that lot of folks are ending a damned rocky week here.

After all, better 80s-cut pinstripe than barrels and suspenders or sandwich boards.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

The event is sponsored by (Shop Rite and) by Southern Wine Distributors, which doesn't distribute in RI. You'll have to get your wine info elsewhere, as I've been focusing on liquors. Some highlights:

The higher-end cachaca market is broadening out, and while I've not had much past LeBlon and the other usual suspects, some of the bottles I've tried here have been excellent. Matti Anttila, the founder and distiller behind Cabana cachaca, chatted with me a bit about his fine product, and I was also impressed with Moleca's golden cachaca. There were quite a few good rums around, including the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, a Montecristo 12 Year Aged that I liked a lot, and the Vizcaya VZOP Cuban Formula that was 80 proof nuanced brown sugar and oak.

I tried a few other interesting things that I liked enough to note: a prosecco brut from Mionetto and the Tombo Shochu with lots of fruit in it stand out. I would have liked to spend an hour at the Salumeria Rosi stall eating and asking about fermentation and pork cuts, but apparently such questions were annoying and I got the brush-off. However, I had a great conversation with one purveyor of a fine product.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Meet Johnny Neill, distiller behind Whitley Neill London Gin:

gallery_19804_437_75877.jpg

I confess that I'm a bit of a gin nut, but this stuff is fantastic:

gallery_19804_437_115117.jpg

There's a lot on the website about the product's use of unusual elements like cape gooseberries and baobab fruit, and reading the press I was worried it would be candy-like and too sweet. It's not at all (though it's less dry than, say, Plymouth): rather, the citrus oil smoothness has a terrific interplay with the juniper notes, and it is as smooth as can be. It's only been available in the US for about four months, but Johnny said that they're playing around with it in the NYC area (he mentioned Pegu Club in particular). I can imagine it being a fantastic gin for citrus-forward cocktails like the Bennett Cocktail, and if you have the right vermouth it'd make a good Fitty-Fitty with a fat twist.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Whoa, nice pics! I guess I'll be seeing all of that tomorrow on the way to the Grand Tasting. I think I may have tried Choxie once and wasn't impressed, but we'll see... I'm going to check out some of Meatpacking Uncorked tonight but as a very light drinker I think it'll mostly be wasted on me. It should be interesting seeing the inside of all of those boutiques as well, since I didn't really have reason to before. I had my friend who knows wine outline the ones that he thinks I'd like (mostly sweet ones like Reisling) so I'm going to check out a few of them. Probably best to rest for tomorrow since the Grand Tasting and Sweet party will likely be nuts.

Meatpacking Uncorked is a rather odd affair, with hordes of festival goers trudging from one small boutique to another and annoying the staff within, who clearly didn't bargain for this barrage. The wine tastings are all set up in the backs of stores and you can't leave the stores with your wine, which means that lots of uninterested wine drinkers are wandering around the uber-expensive merchandise. I started saying "Hang in there" to the store's staff out of empathy.

Wine notes to follow. However, because of a major flaw in the planning, there's no food at nearly all of the wine tastings. To avoid falling over I had to stop at Fatty Crab to get the "Festival special." More on that in a bit.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

In the year 2000...

Humans will build coffee shops/marketing tools from steel shipping containers:

gallery_19804_437_121174.jpg

In the year 2000...

They will feature white modular seating that is very difficult to photograph in low light.

gallery_19804_437_62695.jpg

In the year 2000...

The hydraulic shafts that expand and contract the box will be design elements.

gallery_19804_437_52390.jpg

In the year 2000...

The coffee will really, really suck.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory