• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderate dining in LA-near Financial districit

azurite

I'm going to LA for a meeting in early November--we'll be staying and meeting in the Wilshire Grand, which (according to its website) is between Wilshire & 7th, or near/on Wilshire & Figueroa St. Friday evening we're on our own, so I hope I can get some suggestions for some interesting places for dinner that are moderately priced & not far from the hotel. Unless we could take the subway (is that what it's called in LA? Metro?) most of the way to a restaurant further away. We won't have cars but taxis (if there are taxis in LA) or vans are a possibility although it'd be easiest if walking or taking the subway/metro is possible. Not that I know what areas of LA are ok to walk around in during the evening & which aren't (perhaps one of you will know?).

Moderate means around $35 for an entree. Asian, Middle eastern food, it's all ok. Some of us come from areas that may have restaurants that serve fairly good regional (US regional) food but anything else is mediocre--so any suggestions for good Chinese (all regions), Indian, Peruvian, Iranian, Thai, Russian . . .. will be well received. The hotel seems to have several eating places but I have no idea how good/bad they are. It'd be nice not to have to eat in the hotel as we are already spending so much time there/inside.

I'm hoping that LA (including the part of LA I'll be staying at) is like Manhattan & Queens (the boroughs I know best even though I just visit NY these days), you can eat well w/out spending alot.

TIA,

azurite

I'm going to LA for a meeting in early November--we'll be staying and meeting in the Wilshire Grand, which (according to its website) is between Wilshire & 7th, or near/on Wilshire & Figueroa St.  Friday evening we're on our own, so I hope I can get some suggestions for some interesting places for dinner that are moderately priced & not far from the hotel.  Unless we could take the subway (is that what it's called in LA?  Metro?) most of the way to a restaurant further away.  We won't have cars but taxis (if there are taxis in LA) or vans are a possibility although it'd be easiest if walking or taking the subway/metro is possible.  Not that I know what areas of LA are ok to walk around in during the evening & which aren't (perhaps one of you will know?).

The Wilshire Grand is located on the northwest corner of 7th and Figueroa (aka "7th & Fig"). Yes, the bus/rail system is called Metro. An all-day pass costs $5.00. The Metro Red Line to North Hollywood takes you to Hollywood, if you're into seeing celebrities, stars, etc.

Moderate means around $35 for an entree.  Asian, Middle eastern food, it's all ok.  Some of us come from areas that may have restaurants that serve fairly good regional (US regional) food but anything else is mediocre--so any suggestions for good Chinese (all regions), Indian, Peruvian, Iranian, Thai, Russian . . .. will be well received.  The hotel seems to have several eating places but I have no idea how good/bad they are.  It'd be nice not to have to eat in the hotel as we are already spending so much time there/inside.

The Korean restaurant at the Wilshire Grand is pretty good.

Ciudad is a really fun restaurant, serving Nueva Latina cuisine by the "Too Hot Tamales" (Susan Feniger & Mary Sue Milliken). It's located on 5th and Figueroa, two long blocks away from the Wilshire Grand hotel.

Chinatown is at the very northern part of downtown (Take the Metro Red Line or Purple Line to Union Station, transfer to the Metro Gold Line and get off at Chinatown Station, the first stop). Empress Pavilion, Full House, Ocean Seafood, Sam Woo ... Yang Chow is very popular, but quite Americanized IMO ...

Little Tokyo is located on the eastern section of downtown LA. Several sushi places, izakaya, shabu shabu, teppan-naki ...

Thai Town is outside of downtown LA, near Hollywood. If you take the Metro Red Line (not the Purple Line) to North Hollywood, get off the Hollywood/Western station, you're at the western edge of Thai Town. Just walk eastbound along Hollywood Blvd. and there are many Thai restaurants to choose from. They're all open until 2:00 a.m.

I'm hoping that LA (including the part of LA I'll be staying at) is like Manhattan & Queens (the boroughs I know best even though I just visit NY these days), you can eat well w/out spending alot.

The closest thing to Manhattan in downtown LA is a deli called Langer's. Take the Metro Red or Purple Line to the next station going west, which is Westlake/MacArthur Park Station. Langer's is half-block away from the station, on the corner across the street. Great pastrami & beef brisket. Excellent rye bread. "If Langer's were in New York, there would be a shrine," as one co-worker said.

I hope this helps you.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Just to clarify one thing from Russ, Langer's is the best for pastrami and the rye bread is to die for. However, they are closed for dinner and I believe they are closed on Sunday's.

Other places close by your hotel you may like are Engine Company 28 (obviously an old fire station) just across Figueroa from your hotel. There's also an Italian restaurant on the north side of 7th street just a 1/2 block east of the hotel. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the name right now. Also, one day, walk south on Figueroa a few blocks to "The Original Pantry" for old, old LA. Not fancy but basic stick to your ribs food. I enjoy meeting people for breakfast there.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Rjwong & JFLinLA,

Thanks for your suggestions-sounds as though we'll have quite a few places to choose from. I probably didn't make clear that we'll be free to choose a place to eat on Friday evening & perhaps again on Sunday. I'm staying a little longer than some of the other committee members so I may be able to eat breakfast outside the hotel (if I wish) before continuing on to side trip for members. Then I'll be catching a train going north.

I'll pass on your suggestions.

azurite

If you want one really nice fine dining restaurant, I recommend the Water Grill. It's my favorite restaurant in downtown LA. Chef David LeFevre used to work under Charlie Trotter.

Another fine dining restaurant is called Noe, located inside the Omni Hotel. Noe was first started by Robert Gadsby and is now under chef Glen Ishii. Progressive American with Japanese aesthetics.

If you need more info, just say so.

Azurite -- Another one of my favorite places downtown is Cafe Pinot. It's located in the lovely McGuire Gardens at the Central Library. That's on Flower Street at 5th, just 1 block east of your hotel and 2-3 blocks up. The gardens are gorgeous and, if you're lucky, you can sit outside and enjoy lovely LA weather -- even in November. You also get good food from one of the Joachim Splichal restaurants and you can visit our Central Library which is worth poking around in to see the old part (restored after a fire) and the new part which I think was added on after the fire in a great way.

Of course, if you want the Splichal flag ship, you can head to the Disney Concert Hall a few more blocks uphill in the Bunker Hill portion of downtown and dine at Patina but, I've not eaten there.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I don't live in LA, worse luck, but I have a foodie/historian daughter who does, and has taken me to most of the nice establishments you've mentioned. I'm gonna mention another, which may make LA natives roll their eyes into their heads,but I have to put a plug in for Phillipe's a short cab ride from the financial center.

Maybe Phillipe's was where the French Dip was born, maybe not. But the sandwich is delicious, the sides and desserts are retro (as are the prices) and it is so Old LA -- like being transported into "Mildred Pierce." " It's the real deal, as the Berghoff in Chicago was before family troubles and greed shut it down. I can't tell you how much I heart Phillipe's.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I don't live in LA, worse luck, but I have a foodie/historian daughter who does, and has taken me to most of the nice establishments you've mentioned. I'm gonna mention another, which may make LA natives roll their eyes into their heads,but I have to put a plug in for Phillipe's a short cab ride from the financial center.

Maybe Phillipe's was where the French Dip was born, maybe not. But the sandwich is delicious, the sides and desserts are retro (as are the prices) and it is so Old LA -- like being transported into "Mildred Pierce." " It's the real deal, as the Berghoff in Chicago was before family troubles and greed shut it down. I can't tell you how much I heart Phillipe's.

First, you need to move out to LA.

Second, Philippe's just celebrated its 100th anniversary this month. Apparently, it was a looooong line there,

as they were serving French dip sandwiches @ 10 cents. No, I didn't go. I'm partial to Langer's, and it's all JFLinLA's fault. Thank you, JFL.

And another oldie but goodie is The Original Pantry, two blocks away from Staples Center on Figueroa.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. It looks as though I'll be arriving too late to go out for dinner on the one free evening we have, but I've been passing along all the suggestions listed to the several people I would've been eating with were I arriving in LA about 3 hours earlier.

They say thank you too.

azurite