• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Tea house/shop-Pacific NW&Alaska

Hello- we are developing an index to the best tea houses and tea shops for the eG Coffee and Tea Forum. It will include the best of the Pacific Northwest & Alaska. So, where do you go for a good "steeping".

Also, what do you like about your favorite tea house or tea shop? The tea? The ambiance? The service? Do you have a favorite tea at your favorite place?

[Moderator's Note: Edited at the request of the posting member.]

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 1 month later...

This overall PNW board is sleepy, so thought I'd chime in.

I also like Panama Tea House. Can't say I like a specific tea, but I like the variety - though the prices have climbed quite high from a few years ago. Beautiful interior with great photos of old Nihonmachi. I also like the different seating spaces, including a large table where it's fun to spread out papers and work if no one else is around.

I also like Panama Tea House. Can't say I like a specific tea, but I like the variety - though the prices have climbed quite high from a few years ago. Beautiful interior with great photos of old Nihonmachi. I also like the different seating spaces, including a large table where it's fun to spread out papers and work if no one else is around.

Do you have a favorite tea when you go here?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Do you have a favorite tea when you go here?

No...like I wrote originally, I can't say I like a specific tea. I like to try different ones.

I'm not a big visitor to tea houses, but two I enjoy are Remedy Tea http://www.remedyteas.com/ and Panama Hotel Tea http://www.panamahotel.net/

What do you like about each of them?

The Panama Hotel Tea is, as noted, in an historic building on the edge of the International District (old Japantown) across from the hillside carved into a community garden. They do have some lovely teas, unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with them to name any. I just select based on a whim or advice from the server. I believe they are served in the heavy iron pots. They also have unusual snacks like matcha pound cake with red beans. The space is just very interesting and there is always street parking close by, metered. You find the parking enforcement guy taking his break, someone taking a meeting, and in the corner, probably someone working on a book.

Remedy Tea is new to me, on Capitol Hill. They have an extensive list of straight tea as well as interesting blends. Also, some simple food including salads and soups, sandwiches and pastries and desserts from some good bakeries. They also have Theo chocolates and nib brittle by the ounce. The space is a little too cool, basement and lots of white, but they do good service in individual glass pots with infusers to be removed when the tea is steeped well. And tea lights to keep the pot warm. They identify which teas can be re-brewed with another pot of water, if you have the time to sit all day (you will find people spending the day at a table with laptop, writing, or I really like watching the guy embroidering (needlepointing?) what looks like circuit board patterns onto muslin. They have good magazines to borrow, a couple of soft sitting areas, a place for kids to play out of the action. And they are responsive if you come in and say you need stress relief, or feel a cold coming, or are celebrating. They have something for every occasion.

One of my favorite spots (beyond Panama Hotel, which has already been mentioned) is Miro Tea in Ballard (www.mirotea.com). Great selection of teas (I love Jasmine Pearl) and the space is beautiful and comfortable, decorated with recycled and reclaimed materials.