• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Tea houses/shops-California

Naftal

Hello- we are developing an index to the best tea houses and tea shops for the eG Coffee and Tea Forum. It will include the best of California. So, where do you go for a good "steeping".

Also, what do you like about your favorite tea house or tea shop? The tea? The ambiance? The service? Do you have a favorite tea at your favorite place?

[Moderator's Note: Edited at the request of the posting member.]

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

What do you like about Teance, Shel_B?

I like the tea selections - quite a wide range in a broad price catagory, the free sampling, the great conversations around the tea bar, the wonderful staff and owners, the great decoration of the place ... the personal attention that is given to the customers. I'd been going there since the place opened, although since the move to FourthStreet I don't get there very often. For me, the place is a haven - it has a very warm, close, personal feel to it.

... Shel

For many years I have relied on the recommendations of members of the TEAMAIL Discussion Group

I have been a member for ten years+.

And the world-wide listings and reviews of tea shops and etc., at The Cat-Tea Corner

I like Chado Tea Room in Pasadena, although before this one opened, I used to make periodic treks down to Los Angeles to the original.

Devan Shah, who founded Chado, teamed with James Norwood to found the Nilgiri Tea Society, devoted to importing "bespoke" teas. He has since gone on to become an importer.

Chado has always been attractive to me because they never try to "push" a particular tea but will spend as much time as one needs, answering questions and explaining how to get the most out of a particular tea.

The ambiance in the tea room is comfortable and friendly and the tea and foods are served properly.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love Vital T Leaf in Chinatown San Fran. Ming is the ultimate showman, and his knowledge is near the top of what I've experienced. His selection is outstanding...always something new to show me and always has what I want. His showmanship is what drew me to his shop. Before I walked in the first time I would have considered myself tea-phobic, but he wiped away that fear almost instantly.