• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best restaurants in NY if NOT doing a tasting menu

LPShanet

I'm being taken out tonight for a meal at a place of my own choosing. However, some of the others involved will almost certainly not want to do a whole tasting menu (they tended to be intimidated by the sound of them in past experiences) , so unless the place allows participation from just part of the table, we'll be doing either a la carte or the standard prix fixe offered.

Most of my experiences with my fave places in town (Jean Georges, EMP, L'atelier de Joel Robuchon, Masa, WD-50, etc.) have been only with their degustations in the past, so any thoughts on which of the top places happens to shine with their "regular" menus, and which ones tend to be less appealing unless you can go whole hog would be greatly appreciated.

I think that any restaurant that is only good with the tasting menu, and is not good a la carte, is unworthy of respect.

Totally agree. Was looking for places that especially shined on the standard front. All of them should be good, but in some cases, it's much more fun to do a tasting and you miss out if you don't. At others, you get a very similar experience.

I'm pretty sure Cru's menu allows for flexibility among diners in terms of # of courses you order.  The food is phenomenal.

Thanks, Daisy...had almost forgotten about Cru...not sure why. Is Shea G. still the chef?

I know what you mean, it's not always on my radar either, but it's so damned good. He is, according to the website.

Cru