• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent Chocolate prices

pagosselin

Hello everyone, I have been checking my suppliers for Callebaut milk #823 and the dark #811 (which I usually use) for this years pricing. It has really gone up in price. :sad: The best price so far is $95.05 for the 10K milk from one supplier in PA. and $91.16 for the dark 10K from a supplier in Md. In the past the dark choc. is usually more. Last year I paid $84.25 for the same 823 milk and $87.90 for the same 811 dark. (These are wholesale prices). Is everyone else experiencing this price increase for chocolate you buy?

Pat

Hello everyone,  I have been checking my suppliers for Callebaut milk #823 and the dark #811 (which I usually use)  for this years pricing.  It has really gone up in price.    :sad:  The best price so far is $95.05 for the 10K milk from one supplier in PA. and $91.16 for the dark 10K from a supplier in Md.  In the past the dark choc. is usually more.  Last year I paid $84.25 for the same 823 milk and $87.90 for the same 811 dark.  (These are wholesale prices).  Is everyone else experiencing this price increase for chocolate you buy?

Hi: Yes, cocoa prices have gone up substantially over the last two years, just like every other commodity. So you're right, chocolate prices are moving up worldwide.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

I just got a quote from my supplier in Bangkok that Valrhona had gone up more than 20% since the last quote in July, but the claim was supposedly because of import taxes. Luckily they are going to give me the old price this time, it's already $20 a pound after shipping and more taxes. :blink: I'm going to have a really hard time justifying those bonbons at any higher price. Soooo glad I'm not paying the bills!

White Chocolate is usually more expensive in my experience, most likely because it has only cocoa butter and no cocoa solids. Cocoa butter is about twice as expensive as chocolate where I am (Ecuador) $8/kg., chocolate is around $4 kg. Since cocoa butter is used frequently in industry, cosmetics, pharmaceutical, etc. it is pricey.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

actually, the cheapest ccb goes to pharma - cocoa butter prices are more a reflection on demand, and the ratio of cocoa butter:cocoa powder inventories...of course it's a lot more complicated than that (isn't everything?) - ie futures, the fact that ivorian elections are scheduled for the end of november, shipping prices are up due to availability of ships and increased fuel costs, etc etc etc

Don't forget about milk prices as well. ugh.

• 2 months later...

Qzina out of LA on Dec 4 2008:

Callebaut 811NV-595 10 kg (22.046lb) $104.20 = .295/oz

Cacao Barry Guayaquil pistoles 5 kg (11 lb) $67.14 = .380/oz

Callebaut Pure Cocoa Butter 4 kg (8.818lb) $69.72 = .494/oz

Prices do not include shipping. These prices have held consistent for the past 6 months.

Currently I'm paying around $13.00 per kg for Lindt 70% Ecuador, but I'm looking to purchase direct from Lindt via toronto and cut out the middle man.

I do know of several independant guys in the Vancouver area paying around $4.00 per kg for Callebaut 70/30, but they bring it in by the pallet,--usually one pallet per year, still.....

My last quote for Callebaut 70/30 from Qzina Vancouver was $11.30 per kg, on Dec 20th. In the summer I was getting it for around $8.00. I still use them (Qzina) for PCB and other hard to get stuff, but I think the leash and choke collar belong on my dog, not on me--the customer.

Chocolate is a commodity-demand goes up, so does price,and demand before Christmas is THE time to really yank the prices up, and those boys really yanked up the prices.

Now I understand a supplier has to mark up, they have overhead and profit to make, but what's fair? 35%? 40%? 70%? Certainly not 150%. And those boys buy by the container--not pallet, heckuva negotaiting tool to get good prices.....

I was born in '64, not yesterday, so I won't listen to any B.S. about they US$ or the Jap Yen going up, all the chocolate is European, in Euros, and shipping cost have dropped dramatically since the price of oil dropped too.

Like I said, I'll be putting my money where my mouth is and negotiate a volume based price with Lindt in the next few weeks.....

Currently I'm paying around $13.00 per kg for Lindt 70% Ecuador, but I'm looking to purchase direct from Lindt via toronto and cut out the middle man.

I do know of several independant guys in the Vancouver area paying around $4.00 per kg for Callebaut 70/30, but they bring it in by the pallet,--usually one pallet per year, still.....

My last quote for Callebaut 70/30 from Qzina Vancouver was $11.30 per kg, on Dec 20th.  In the summer I was getting it for around $8.00.  I still use them (Qzina) for PCB and other hard to get stuff, but I think the leash and choke collar belong on my dog, not on me--the customer.

Chocolate is a commodity-demand goes up, so does price,and demand before Christmas is THE time to really yank the prices up, and those boys really yanked up the prices. 

Now I understand a supplier has to mark up, they have overhead and profit to make, but what's fair? 35%? 40%? 70%?  Certainly not 150%.  And those boys buy by the container--not pallet, heckuva negotaiting tool to get good prices.....

I was born in '64, not yesterday, so I won't listen to any B.S. about they US$ or the Jap Yen going up, all the chocolate is European, in Euros, and shipping cost have dropped dramatically since the price of oil dropped too.

Like I said, I'll be putting my money where my mouth is and negotiate a volume based price with Lindt in the next few weeks.....

With Qzina I've found that every time the price goes up you need to call your sales rep and negotiate.

Did that, and the sales rep re-confirmed the price. Rep is very knowledgeable and quite good, but I did tell him to tell the boss his mark-up is too rich for me.

And then, back in November Qzina put out a "Christmas special" flyer. Prices looked fishy to me, so I called the reception to confirm on prices and unit quantity. Hmmm..... $9.00 for 1(one) dipping fork? $54 for one(1) litre bottle of Sucrea Mauritous Vanilla (I buy usually at $19.00/lt btl.) I thought the price was for a case of 6, but no, reconfirmed, $54 for one bottle. PCB schtuff was a bit higher than what I paid a few months back too.