• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Annual Barbecue Festival, Lexington, NC

TheBoatMan

The 25th Annual Barbecue Festival is October 25th.

http://www.barbecuefestival.com/home.html

Has anyone been in prior years?  Comments?  Is it worth the drive up from Charlotte?

I went once, maybe six or seven years ago, and never returned. Perhaps it has improved since then but it was really kitschy, with lots of booths selling things that had nothing to do with BBQ. There were a few stations set up where you could get a BBQ sandwich or a plate but the food was nothing special.

It wasn't like other festivals where you could get food items that are otherwise unavailable or where there might be competitions to produce certain food items.

If somebody has a more recent and better experience, pipe in.

Never been, but you can't go wrong at any southern BBQ festival. Lexington has impressive barbecue bragging rights. Charlotte ain't but a stone's throw as the crow flies.

Curious that Lexington #1 Barbecue is not one of the official restaurants.

Another plan would be to avoid the crowds, pick a different weekend and load up the GPS with all the Lexington Barbecue joints and take your own tour. Of course do that and you'll miss the "Guitar Pull."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Never been, but you can't go wrong at any southern BBQ festival.  Lexington has impressive barbecue bragging rights. Charlotte ain't but a stone's throw as the crow flies.

Curious that Lexington #1 Barbecue is not one of the official restaurants.

Another plan would be to avoid the crowds, pick a different weekend and load up the GPS with all the Lexington Barbecue joints and take your own tour.  Of course do that and you'll miss the "Guitar Pull."

Agreed, Ive made the drive to Lexington plenty of times to try the various Barbeque joints. Have never been to the festival and was curious.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Ever since moving to Charlotte a year ago, I was hankering to try some good Carolina Barbecue. Last year I was extremely excited to go to the Lexington barbecue festival.

It was a let down and definitely not worth my time to go. For a barbecue festival, I expected a large amount of barbecue vendors, but I was sorely disappointed.

If I recall, there were three vendors. The largest one with a large section in the middle of the festival was horrid. It only offered a barbecue pork sandwich. The barbecue pork was basically mush with a bad sauce. Not worth the time.

There are two small vendors. One at the beginning of the festival. The barbecue was also pulled pork, but they came in chunks, and definitely had a better flavor and texture. I would recommend them if you go. The other small barbecue vendor is deeper into the festival and they also only had barbecue pork sandwich. Their pork was good, a little soft and mushy, but definitely had a better texture than the large vendor.

For a barbecue festival, I expected all types of barbecue, not just pork sandwich, which was the only type offered. So overall, I was disappointed and have decided never to go. If I ever change my mind, I would go for the smaller vendors, not the big vendor.

not worth the trip. Do as Holly Moore describes and get a map some addresses and go cue hunting. It is basically a fall harvest festival with kitschy country odds and ends. Focus is decidely un que-centric

Junehl, I think you may have to realize that any que fest in this part of the country(sc, nc, va) will primarily feature pork que

More of a street fair than a bbq festival. The bbq vendors are all the same q from what I was told, and it is nothing special. Ive been twice. The draw is all the vendors and some country music headliners. I will not be back myself, but it is decent for a street fair. If q is what you want, get a map and hit Lexington on another date. Dont miss Cooks, BBQ Center, and #1, and then go from there. There is a bit of gas cooking going on there these days, so if there is no wood, move on, it aint real q.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I went last year, and while a fun experience it wasn't worth it for the barbecue alone, and I don't think the festival fairly represents the quality of the barbecue that can be had in Lexington. You are better off going to Lexington on a non-festival weekend to directly hit the barbecue joints, and then taking a jaunt over to East NC for their version of 'cue. I stayed for a year in Raleigh and went barbecue hunting on several weekends (as well as to the festival) - my write up is here, using this site's recommendations as well as Holly's:

Here.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Junehl,  I think you may have to realize that any que fest in this part of the country(sc, nc, va) will primarily feature pork que

I do believe you're right. I had hoped they would have had something beyond just bbq pork sandwiches...maybe ribs.