• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paper liners

Lior

Hi. My pilot now wants paper liners. In the end he gave up on planes. We now have a thin square of chocolate, with MY logo on it!! He wants 4 squares, each a different chocolate color, one on top of the other - divided in my box with paper liners, upon which he has his logo! Any suggestions of sells these liners? Thin ones, not pads.

Thanks!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Qualita Paper might have something close to what you're looking for. But he'd need to order 12,000 pieces if he wants it personalized. But look around there site for some interesting customizing ideas. The link to their confection line isn't working at the moment, but I think you can download their catalogue.

Instead of imprinting the entire paper with his logo, how would he feel about one sticker with his logo? It can go on top where the liner overlaps (assuming the liner I'm thinking of is the same that you are), and if the boxes are wrapped, it can also be used to seal the wrapping paper.

nice idea! However he wants a liner in between each square. The 4 squares are one on top of each other. And this liner that you mention- where do I find it? I think plain liner is good as I can use for other things, and a sticker somewhere somehow for his logo. Thanks for thinking for me!!

I don't really understand what the final product is supposed to look like (a drawing would help!), what size the squares are, or... but...

I'm thinking skip the liner and use card stock, instead. Use lightweight card stock (I think vellum would be nice) that can run through a computer printer. Then scan the logo, print it on the card stock so each logo fits into one square, cut, and place between squares of chocolate.

Or if you want to use some kind of waxed parchment paper, then you can put the logo onto stickers like these Avery stickers (you can print a whole sheet of logos), cut them out, and affix them to the parchment paper (the parchment would be the same size as the sticker). Would that help?

To figure out how to do the logos on one sheet of stickers, the Avery site has templates you can use to design your seals.

Here's a website that has a bunch of different types of tissue paper that might be what you're looking for.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Ok. The squares are about 0.5 cm in height and 4.5 X 4.5 cm width. He wants a white, milk, dark and milk with orange flavor , one on top of the other. Here is a picture of the box with one square:

gallery_53591_4944_144937.jpg

I cut out a square of paper as an example of what I need between squares of chocolate!!!

I will look up vallum as I don't know what it is. Do stickers stick to parchment? This could be an idea...

Thanks so much for your interest and trying to help out!! :biggrin:

I don't know if vellum is food safe, but I don't see why it wouldn't be (of course, I don't know much about what constitutes something as food safe, nor do I know much about paper making). There are two types of vellum, though, so be careful of what you buy. True vellum is made of leather and is expensive, but what you would find in a stationery or office supply store is probably made of wood fibre (and is much cheaper).

Glassine might be another option. It's usually used to package foods. However, it's most commonly available in the form of bags, so you'd have to cut up a bag to get the sheets of paper you need (a bit of a pain, I think, but not so bad if you have a paper cutter). I also don't know how well one could print on it or how well stickers would adhere. They're pretty cheap, though, so no harm in getting a few to try out!

From The Glassine Webshop

Candy Box Inserts & Padding with Chocolate Brown Glassine and Black Glassine Sheets

I wonder if glassine paper is that type of paper you were looking for in the first place!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Since chocolate is so high in fat, grease stains may be a problem on vellum --- and I wonder how printer inks would react to grease. Glassine may be your best option; Rona's source has quite a variety. An elegant (but costly) way to add the logo to the liners is embossing; you would need to have a die made and buy the base machine.

Here is the thread on glassine.

I picked up a large roll from a company in Montreal - they just charged me shipping (which was around $80 - we are talking a large roll). Mari cut's it, then uses her label to close the fold.

Yes! I think it is glassine that I want!!

Mari cut's it, then uses her label to close the fold

I am not following something here... Who is Mari and how does she use her lavel? Sorry!

I wonder if these can be made with a logo on. Embossing is lovely but I bet super expensive.

Thank you so so much!! I have a lead! Yay!

Yes! I think it is glassine that I want!!

Mari cut's it, then uses her label to close the fold

I am not following something here... Who is Mari and how does she use her lavel? Sorry!

I wonder if these can be made with a logo on. Embossing is lovely but I bet super expensive.

Thank you so so much!! I have a lead! Yay!

Sorry - I'm a little thick here, just assume everyone knows who I know. I was looking for a picture of one of Mari's boxes to show you, but can't find it.

Mari was my first chocolate student - her business is Coco Chocolates www.cocochocolates.com

She takes a box, cuts a piece of the dark brown glassine the same size as the box width but long enough that she can fold it over on top of the chocolates. Then she affixes her label to the edge of the paper to hold it closed.

Thank you Luis! Is this food safe? And what about the printer ink? Would it be okay if a chocolate was placed on it? Do you use it? Thanks,

Ilana

I use it occasionally for weddings. I don't have the chocolate touching it directly though. In the box the chocolates are in paper cups, then I usually have glassine on top of the chocolate, then the printed velum on top of that.

Luis

• 2 weeks later...

Lior,

New York Central Art Supply sells sheets of glassine paper in several colors. If you call them (800.950.6111) they will send you some samples (free, if I remember right). Also, if you're looking for glassine candy pads, which offer a bit of cushioning (usually I see a sheet of this laid over the top of the chocolates in a box) you can get it from Murnane Companies. They have it available in different thicknesses, shapes, colors, etc:

http://www.murnanecompanies.com/softcell.html

Custom printing usually sends prices through the roof, so I've researched like crazy to come up with alternatives.

PSA Essentials makes custom rubber stamps and embossers for a reasonable price. I've tried the stamp on vellum and it looks fabulous (just be careful about smudging).

http://www.psaessentials.com/stamps.htm

I've been printing my own labels with my OLD, like 5 years or more, HP deskjet 940c printer. I'm using the HP ink that's recommended for my printer. The paper I use is from Epson and it's sold at Target, but you can get it online as well. There are a lot of variables to consider, like exposure to light, moisture, handling, etc, but this is working well for me right now, especially if I keep the labels away from sunlight. The colors are great, the ink dries quickly and it's water- and smudge-resistant.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2037...tion_Paper.html

I print the labels (several per sheet) and then cut them with this:

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t_deskt...ry-trimmer.aspx

Then I apply adhesive to the back of the label with this fantastic little non-electronic, no-batteries gizmo. The little gizmo is an inexpensive investment, but the adhesive is pricey, more than 30 cents to apply it solidly across the back of a 2" x 6" label, but it works so well it's thrilling! You can choose a machine in the width that's right for your job and whether you want repositionable or permanent adhesive. This site has the best prices I've found:

http://www.createforless.com/search/search...txtSearch=xyron

This info might be too late for your pilot packaging, but maybe it will help at some point.

Good luck!

wow!! What a wealth of info. Thank you ever so much!! It is late by me now, so tomorrow I will go through all these links. If you have a picture of your labels and/or stamp on vellum- it would be great. I am not 100% sure Iknow what vellum is- I suppose here it goes by another word... I will look for a picture on some sites.

Thanks again for theeffort and info!! :smile:

Hi> Just to update. I contacted Murnane mackenzie -told them I got the referral from egullet- and I got alovely email in response. Iwill be getting free samples of the items I am interested in and they do it all custom cut so size and etc is not an issue. So thank you very very much!! :smile:

Hi Lior,

you may well be sorted now but there is a confectionery packaging firm in Belgium that supply glassine and custom printed labels.

this is the link to their main cataloge for 2008

bsd belgium

I think the glassine sheets are on about page 65.

You may find it as cheap to ship from the US; when I convert euros to GB pounds some of the items are expensive compared to a UK supplier but they have a nice range of things I cannot find in the UK.

cheers