• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food gifts from America

mrsadm

I have two business colleagues in Denmark that I'd like to send a holiday food gift basket to. I am trying to think of what would be (1) American in origin and perhaps interesting a different for them; and (2) items that won't melt (like chocolate) or need refrigeration.

I'm sure many of you will have great ideas!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

If it were me (and I am a foreigner!) I would love some:

Chipotle in Adobo ( can only get intermittently..sadly)

Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (ok..I know! :biggrin: )

Dried Cranberries

American specific BBQ Sauce ( not Tabasco, it is universal nowadays)

Californian Wine ( can get also but there is sure to be a special vintage or two!)

Some Arepa flour would go down well for me but its not Nth American. :biggrin:

Good luck, and Im sure you will have heaps of ideas.

Edited by Sentiamo (log)

I went to college in Iceland. My colleagues there used to request American fruitcakes to be brought back when I returned from Christmas break. I don't know why, I'm not a fan of it myself, but they were all curious about it and had to have one every year.

Agave syrup

Tupelo honey

Blue corn meal

Pralines

Hush puppy mix

a selection of California rices - the Wehani, mahogany, black and etc. that are grown only in the Sacramento delta.

Some of Rancho Gordo's beans and things.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Dried Blueberries, Cranberries, Cherries (from Maine/NJ/Mich)

Salt Water Taffy

Peanut Butter (candy, cookies, brittle)

Local made jams/chutney/relish/salsa/butter (apple or peach butter)

Small Batch wine/bourbon

Jack Daniels soaked fruit cakes

Dried smoked tomatoes

Hawaiian coffee or macadamia nuts (candy, cookies, brittle)

Brownies (we have had exchange students visit from Austria, Italy, France and Germany - and all of them loved Brownies - I was surprised that they did not have them in their countries - they really liked the little bite size Costco brownies)

I agree, we have friends in France that ask us for dried cranberries every time.

Also, Macademia nuts from Hawaii they ask for.

And, interesting wild rice combinations from the American Indians.

How about chocolate covered pretzels from Pennsylvania?

(Pa General Store ships)

Philly Francophiles

• 4 weeks later...

Good suggestion all, but you can get the majority of the things mentioned if you work at it in Europe.

What I prize (see post over on the Kitchen Consumer thread) is cling film, just good old saran wrap. Costco's own brand with the cutter is great.

The stuff you get here is pretty pathetic. Believe me any friend in Europe will appreciate it.