• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiny Lobster

heidih

I had my first of the season today- actually am still working on the beast with different preps. I eat the legs and body first and then use the tail in different preps. I am very happy. My source was Quality Seafood in Redondo Beach. Anybody else enamored of these guys?

Heidi,

I didn't even know that there were Pacific lobsters.  I'll have to look at the market next time.

Fuzzy-

These guys do not have the 2 giant claws, but their tail is really thick and I find it "meatier". Some call it less delicate but I am somewhat obscessed. When I was waiting in line at the open market where they are in open bins with circulating sea water, invariably one of them would start flicking his tail and spray water all over us. It is a short season and you may have to search them out in a fish market, but try them at least once. I paid $24.89/lb. Sometimes it drops later in the season.

The FL spiny lobsters are in season now. I saw some at the fish market last weekend and almost bought them, but realized I really don't know how to prepare them! I've enjoyed them in restaurants, but have never cooked them.

I've never seen very large ones here... usually around 2 lbs is as big as they get in the restaurants. I'd guess the ones at the market were smaller than that.

So, tell me how to cook them?

The FL spiny lobsters are in season now.  I saw some at the fish market last weekend and almost bought them, but realized I really don't know how to prepare them!  I've enjoyed them in restaurants, but have never cooked them.

I've never seen very large ones here...  usually around 2 lbs is as big as they get in the restaurants.  I'd guess the ones at the market were smaller than that.

So, tell me how to cook them?

Sounds like our Pacific ones are similar to yours but I think our water is colder. Anyway- I have them steamed at the seafood vendor. I eat the meat from the legs and body plain with maybe a mayo based mustardy dip. The tail ended up in soft tacos, pasta, risotto, etc. Any way you would use shellfish. Oh man... I can still taste it and it has been days...

• 2 weeks later...
I had my first of the season today- actually am still working on the beast with different preps. I eat the legs and body first and then use the tail in different preps. I am very happy. My source was Quality Seafood in Redondo Beach. Anybody else enamored of these guys?

I love these. Generally I split the tails and grill them, brush with a little garlic butter just prior to serving.

Running $17.95 a lb as of yesterday @ pearson's port.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I love these. Generally I split the tails and grill them, brush with a little garlic butter just prior to serving.

Running $17.95 a lb as of yesterday @ pearson's port.

Kind of like the Puerto Nuevo prep in Baja? $17.95 is better than what I paid. Will have to check if prices are dropping.

Kind of like the Puerto Nuevo prep in Baja? $17.95 is better than what I paid. Will have to check if prices are dropping.

Similar to Puerto Nuevo but not deep fried as theirs tend to be. I don't know if prices are dropping or not -- Pearson's is fisherman direct so no middleman.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

• 1 year later...

The season is open. I just called Quality Seafood in Redondo Beach. It was hard to hear the guy but it sounded like $34 or $36/lb and they are averaging 2 pounds. Anyone enjoyed them yet this season, and where are you procuring?

I used to night dive for these off the Channel Islands of S. Calif., but stopped as a matter of conscience when it became clear even then commercial and sport overfishing was a horrible problem...our local community college had a propagation program that was working hard with local regulatory and fishing interests to try to curb the depletion. That was close to 25 years ago...I shudder to think on the current situation off the Calif. coasts..and may explain the prices?

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Hi Heidi - I was piqued to look more into this, and think I am frozen in a time that is no longer current, very happy to say. I also need to be careful to say I was talking about a very limited area, the Channel Islands, my only direct experience.

If my cursory read is right, since I left Ca. a long time ago, not only has there been enacted a much more stringent Channel Islands protected area standard, but the overall health of the species' population is indeed being monitored quite well, as you say, and signs seem good. Just came across this, from the Monterey Bay Aquarium....basically, an official "dive in!" (warning...PDF):

Monterey Bay Spiny Lobster report

My mistake...and very heartened to find out so. Now....I'm sweating some onions for an Americaine....

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

• 1 month later...

Rock lobster season just opened in Victoria. According to the report I read, prices will be about $80 a kilo. I think I'll pass.

eta: Just for comparison to CA.

Edited by haresfur (log)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 years later...

I am referring to our local spiny lobsters which (in my humble opinion) are pretty spectacular. These are sold live and taken from local waters. It is a very regulated fishery.

It is a limited catch. Scrolling up I see that in 2010 it averaged $35/lb I used to have a diver friend who put on lobster BBQs in the season. His back is shot so he does not get the license anymore....

I often have it cooked at the market in the giant "autoclaves" - steamed or cook them at home as I would a Maine lobby. The tail is quite thick and meaty. There is a lot of meat in the body and you can suck some pretty sweet flesh out of the legs. Just over the border (about an hour an a half from San Diego) there is a destination spot for them split in a garlicky fried prep http://www.puertonuevolobster.com/