• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mashed potato

Another potato question Heston.

On one of the Kitchen Chemistry programs you made what you considered the perfect mashed potato. Does this mean you consider every other version of mash, even in 3* kitchens, as inferior to your own?

Not at all.

In general, I was happy with the series as it did not try and trivialise this approach to cooking.

There were a few points that I did not entirely agree with and one of them was relating to descriptions of dishes in this manner. I had however resisted so many things that if these were to stay, well there could have been worse things left in!

The word perfect does definately suggest that it cannot be improved.

I do not think for one minute that this is so.

It is however, when the temperatures are stuck to rigorously, the best method that I have come accross of making mash potato.

One thing that should be said though is that with bad ingredients, do not expect good results. This method will still not help the wrong type of potato or second rate butter to make a great puree

Heston Blumenthal

The Fat Duck

The Fat Duck website