• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martin Picard's "The Wild Chef"

Pam R

It shouldn't be that surprising to see Martin Picard and sous chef Hugue Dufour of Au Pied de Cochon in a new show on Food TV. I caught the last third of a show this afternoon. I watched them setting traps with beaver meat and then cooking rabbit over a camp-fire with all of the ingredients frozen (winter in Quebec is cold, eh). According to the website, today's show also included muskrat spare ribs, partridge grilled cheese and pemmican.

Even less surprising is that The Wild Chef has upcoming shows on foie gras and wild goose.

Has anybody seen a whole show? Thoughts?

I really enjoyed it. I found Chef Picard and Hugue really funny. This is must see tv for any Picard fans. This was the Courier du Bois Adventure...can't wait to see more.

Great... just great. Not only is this show NOT airing in the U.S., but the freakin' FoodTV.ca website won't let me see a preview of it 'cause I'm not in Canada! :angry:

Edited by Beto (log)

The 'wild chef' shows are shorter versions of the French 'Martin sur la Route' shows (available on DVD).

Interestingly, these shows skipped some of the best bits of the French shows (e.g. general tso bobcat, BBQ squirrels, the historical context discussions...). I am guessing Food TV thought it was a bit too hard core for their viewers or that the jokes were not politically correct enough (e.g. general tso bobcat) or hard to export.

I think this show would be a hard sell in the US considering the strong French accents of the two cooks (something politicians got us used to in Canada) and the provocative nature of some of the dishes.

That being said, this show, and particularly the French version, is a piece of food tv anthology.

So far, my favorite episode is the moose hunting one