• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minnesota Meat Markets

I hope no one takes me wrong. We liked the smoked fish at Northern Waters. Their plain smoked salmon was a bit salty.

But, I'm sorry, we've been doing Russ Kendall's for some 30 years. There is the atmosphere. There is the Finish Grand-daughter with dread locks. There is the location. Its not chic. Next time, it's Russ's. We're accustomated to the taste of their fish, and it wasn't as salty. Call it tradition. Hopefully, the road construction on scenic 61 will be done soon, but it won't deter us. We know the backroads well.

But, we did get bacon and sausages from Old World Meats in Duluth, and I will report after we've eaten them. Their Bloody Mary beef sticks are wonderful, as is there jerky. Not too wet, but tjust the right amount of dry.

One of the things that got me about Old World Meats is that even the young men behind the counter know their way around meat. A 25 year old man that knows all about a tri-tip! We'll be back.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 9 years later...

Bump!

We have still been meat marketing, and since I'm not working and spending lots of time at the cabin, F&D remains my most common stop.  Everything there is good, and I think I'll stop on my way home for one of their little boneless half hams. (But no more detours to the 32 Degree Freeze for the tallest $2.00 soft serve twist cone anywhere; they close for the season on Monday. Outstanding soft serve, btw.  Not as good as Connie's Creamy Cones in St. Paul, or the Deep Freeze in New London, which heysy best in state award.)

I've never stopped at the place in Eveleth, do should stop on Tuesday. 

Zups in Cook burned down and hasn't been rebuilt yet, and Babbitt is too much of a detour

I discovered the hard salami and the smoked hot Italian sausage strips in Gilbert, so that's another regular, especially since it's barely off the beaten path.  These are both outstanding treats.

A couple of years ago, we went to Zumbrota for a funeral and stopped at the Wanamingo Meat Locker and had what I believe to be the best meat sticks in the state.  Warning that this is a meat locker.  They have an upright glassed fridge thing (ala convenience store for beverages), and some packages of meat sticks shared space with pop, a couple if hams, and maybe a couple of other things.

Then, this past spring, we drove out to Delano to see the new flood wall and stopped at their meat market, Rieder's, and their meat sticks were on a par with Wanamingo's.  Sadly, the Peppermint Twist wasn't yet open for the season, so no soft serve.  

Finally, @Smithy, have you had any smoked fish from Russ Kendall's lately?  The two recent takes (within the last year) weren't nearly as good as we remember.

Edited by snowangel (log)
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, snowangel said:

Finally, @Smithy, have you had any smoked fish from Russ Kendall's lately?  The two recent takes (within the last year) weren't nearly as good as we remember.

I've stopped there once or twice since their fire and rebuilding. I haven't noticed much difference in their smoked fish from previous years, but keep in mind that I (still) prefer the Northern Waters Smokehaus fish so I'm not as tuned to the quality of Russ Kendall's fish as you would be. I do think it's great that they're around, and so much a part of the community that everyone chipped in to help them rebuild after the fire. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I've stopped there once or twice since their fire and rebuilding. I haven't noticed much difference in their smoked fish from previous years, but keep in mind that I (still) prefer the Northern Waters Smokehaus fish so I'm not as tuned to the quality of Russ Kendall's fish as you would be. I do think it's great that they're around, and so much a part of the community that everyone chipped in to help them rebuild after the fire. 

We stopped a couple of weeks ago to see the tall ships (if the sails aren't up, they aren't very impressive), and stopped at Northern Waters.  To buy fish, not a sandwich.  It was 11 am, and the line was awful.  And, since only a couple if incoming customers can see the sandwich menu (which is long with many multi ingredient choices), the line wasn't moving.  We watched one couple take 6 minutes to decide!  Holding up the line. I sure with they'd post the menu outside and offer a line for those buying smoked fish/sausages.  (We ended up at Love Creamery.  Note worthy ice cream flavors.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowangel said:

We stopped a couple of weeks ago to see the tall ships (if the sails aren't up, they aren't very impressive), and stopped at Northern Waters.  To buy fish, not a sandwich.  It was 11 am, and the line was awful.  And, since only a couple if incoming customers can see the sandwich menu (which is long with many multi ingredient choices), the line wasn't moving.  We watched one couple take 6 minutes to decide!  Holding up the line. I sure with they'd post the menu outside and offer a line for those buying smoked fish/sausages.  (We ended up at Love Creamery.  Note worthy ice cream flavors.)

It's true that their busy times are waaay too busy. I'm able to avoid their busy times, but you wouldn't have had the luxury, especially during a big tourist weekend like the boat festival weekend.

Love's Creamery makes great ice cream! Were you in the LIncoln Park area, or at the end of Park Point where they have a stand, or do they have another place I haven't found? Do they offer sandwiches also? I was only aware of the ice cream. The Lincoln Park area (general vicinity of Superior Street and 27th Ave. W.) is developing into a wonderful craft brewery and food area. I don't think that OMC Smokehouse sells meat by the pound, but they have excellent food -- locally sourced, locally cured and smoked as the case may be.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown