• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margaret McArthur (maggiethecat) retires

Dave the Cook

Closing out an amazing and long-running stint as a Society volunteer, Margaret McArthur has resigned her post as Editorial Director of the Daily Gullet. It's not possible to thank her enough for her service, but I'll try.

Thank you, Maggie.

I'm sure that she will be the first to tell you that she's far from satisfied, but convincing her to take on the job was one the smartest things I've done in my work for the Society. During her tenure, she published more than 70 articles, many of which have been featured in other media outlets, a few of which have led to book deals and awards, and all of which underscore our mission of being the best place to discuss food and promote food literature anywhere.

She worked tirelessly to present interesting content, cajoling writers -- old-timers and new talent -- and prodding publishers to grant the Daily Gullet exclusive content and access to many notable authors. And anyone who worked under Maggie's editorial tutelage knows what a gift she has for finding the right phrase, sequencing an exposition and for knowing the difference between "further" and "farther."

Let's hope this gives Maggie more time to post -- after all, she started many of the most popular and interesting topics in eG Forums.

Thanks again, Maggie. See you on the boards.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

And to think I had spent most of my time online today reading your "recipes of 2008" thread today.... What a very useful human being you are maggiethecat. Thank you for all you've done for this poor backward cook, I now spend too much of my disposable income on cookbooks (add 45 to your count and growing by several a month).

Thanks again,

BH

Many thanks, Maggie, and I hope we'll see a lot more of your posts!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh Archie, such sad news you deliver

How will Daily Gullet live without her.

The champion of the little black dress

And tales of our own MOB seamstress.

Swans and streusel , onglet, bacon and eggs

Smoking outside with sandals and bare legs.

Aunt Martha’s hot iron transfers, my dear

The artisnal prezzie season is near.

Caring for mother as she watched her die

Aterwards, her cooking mojo did lie.

Margaret, our own poet laureate

Everything you’ve written is just so great.

Three days in iambic pentameter

A big loud round of applause is due her.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Such a great deal to thank you for, Maggie. Hard to sum it all up....

But, thanks.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks, Maggie, for all you have done. Your contributions are incalculable. Your tremendous work here helped define eGullet.com and eGullet.org. Your dedication has been exemplary.

But most importantly, you are a friend for whom I have great respect and admiration. I am lucky to know you, and those who have enjoyed reading these forums -- which you greatly enhanced via your work here -- are just as fortunate.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Maggie thank you for your encouragement and your willingness to give honest feedback. I appreciate it. And looking forward to some delicious posts from you in the future. Thanks. dr.

Villanelle

I humbly read each article you sent me

How otherwise, because I know how hard

It is bare the literary thee?

It felt as if with sadness or with glee

You’d shown us through the Inside Aisles with Mom

Or shaken golden loquats from their tree.

Tim Hayward, Steven Shaw and Rachel D

Ivy and her pillows, Babbling Brooks

Chris Amirault, Dave Scantland, Janet Z.

A letter in my mailbox from Miss P.

A neighborhood in Pittsburgh from Diane

Those silly Smackdowns – Sunday evening glee!

And many thanks to you, dear Peter G.

To point out one missed tercet first time round

Where would I be sans readers such as thee?

A Villanelle’s too short to thank each writer

Who wrote and dropped those adverbs and rewrote.

My gratitude’s enormous, don’t you see?

I felt as if each word was just for me.

Write. Read. Discuss!

edited: Oops. Emotion made me forget poetic structure.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Those are some big 3" purple heels to fill . . .

THANK YOU -- volunteers make the world go round.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Maggie's done so much behind the scenes to support the Daily Gullet that I don't know where to start. I'll just say this: she's been the most honest, supportive, and helpful editor I've ever had. (Chicagolanders, take note: she's also a great dining and drinking companion. )

Thanks, Maggie. You're the beans.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Maggie:

What can I say? I only hope this means you'll have more time to post along with the rest of us mere mortals. eGullet just wouldn't be the same without your own special brand of wit, wisdom and smarts. Not the same at all...

Best wishes to you and I hope we've not heard the last from you. And I still hope to break bread and raise a glass again some time in the not too distant future. It was a distinct pleasure meeting you. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Maggie, thanks so much for all the time and effort you have dedicated to the Society over the years. I'm glad you will at least be staying around to inject your insightful wit and good humor into the discussions here, though your work with the Daily Gullet will be sorely missed.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Usually, a person must be markedly less smart and interesting than Maggie is to be as widely beloved -- she embodies in my life a crucial counterexample to the tyranny of the mediocre.

The other day, folding out of the dryer a newly-scored vintage pink kitchen towel I mused idly is this huck or some kind of small-gauge pique, came down on the side of pique, and then thought I would take up with Maggie in future correspondence the relative merits of the two weaves.

If she wasn't too busy making paper from scratch before writing on it in iambic pentameter or hand-rolling a hem on a silk charmeuse evening gown or re-reading one of the classics because she couldn't swear 100% whether the allusion on p. 313 was Biblical or Greek. No rest for the unwicked.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Thanks Maggie! You have contributed so much to the Society and our enjoyment through sheparding articles for The Daily Gullet. Probably the greatest bunch of personal essays on life with food by emerging food writers anywhere.

Maggie has been, for me, a scrupulous editor, a generous tour guide, a delightful dining companion and a tireless coworker. Also a great friend. I'll miss having her as a fellow volunteer, but I look forward to her smart and thought-provoking topics and posts.

Oh my, I had to take out my frilly apron and sully it today! I wore heels and had a martini as well.

Thanks. A real role model.

PM me your address. Who knows what apronly frilliness might show up USPS?

Signed,

Apron Lady in LBD with a martini and aching bunions from wearing the heels. Anne, your job here is really important. I salute you.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com