• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Prime Rib

Marlene

Somewhere around here is a topic on this, but I'll be damned if I can find it! We have a 9 lb bone in prime rib that we are thinking of smoking today. We figure the temp to be around 225-250. My question is timing. How long do you think? 4hours? 6 hours? For rare.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Somewhere around here is a topic on this, but I'll be damned if I can find it!  We have a 9 lb bone in prime rib that we are thinking of smoking today.  We figure the temp to be around 225-250.  My question is timing.  How long do you think?  4hours?  6 hours?  For rare.

Is this what you are looking for?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not exactly. :smile: There is a thread where Snowangel and I did go ahead and smoke a couple of prime ribs and we had pics and stuff, but I can't find it.

Marlene

Probably 3.5 hours or so smoke time (much depends on the actual temp and what the meat temp is when it goes in) to about 15˚ lower than your target. Then either do a finishing sear direct or stick in a 500˚ oven to sear.

Kevin

Probably 3.5 hours or so smoke time (much depends on the actual temp and what the meat temp is when it goes in) to about 15˚ lower than your target. Then either do a finishing sear direct or stick in a 500˚ oven to sear.

Ok that makes sense. As to searing. Not sear first? And can I sear it on the grill before or after? My oven will be taken up with yorkies. :biggrin:

Marlene

Sear to finish. Easier and shorter (since surface cooking has occurred), and searing at the end means the meat has a slower temp rise at the beginning. This helps with tenderness.

Enjoy your rib roast. Was thinking of doing a brisket today but just haven't gotten it together.

Kevin

Ok that makes sense. As to searing. Not sear first? And can I sear it on the grill before or after? My oven will be taken up with yorkies. :biggrin:

Hi,

If you sear first, your roast will not take on as much smoke flavor.

Tim

Kerry, you're welcome anytime!

Thanks to everyone for their help. It took 3.5 hours on the smoker, and we used apple for the wood. Gave it a quick sear on the grill after we took it off the smoker. We will do this again and again, especially here at the cottage where I only have one oven.

gallery_6080_205_91312.jpg

gallery_6080_205_40306.jpg

Marlene

:wub:

I'd cut off the top well-done part plus the fat of each piece and eat all of them by myself dipped in nuoc cham.  Because the fat's the best part!

Where's the gravy?  :smile:

The picture is deceiving, but that top part is not well done and is still pretty pink. Couldn't do a gravy with this one, so I did a red wine and port reduction sauce.

Marlene

The picture is deceiving, but that top part is not well done and is still pretty pink.  Couldn't do a gravy with this one, so I did a red wine and port reduction sauce.

Not well done? Darn. I actually like that part when it's well-done--not dry, but not pink anymore. It creates a nicer balance when you eat it with the fat. I'm all about the fat, doncha know!

I miss the gravy. I've been craving it like crazy, and seeing yours would have been a good substitute!

sorry. I'll make it a point to figure out how to do gravy with this method next time. :smile:

And the fat is very crispy, even if the top wasn't well done.

Marlene

:wub:

I'd cut off the top well-done part plus the fat of each piece and eat all of them by myself dipped in nuoc cham.  Because the fat's the best part!

Where's the gravy?  :smile:

You can have the well-done part and the fat and I'll take the rest! I think the next line should be "and together, and together you see they licked the platter clean!" :cool:

It sure came out wonderful, I think I'll have to go out and buy one to cook myself.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Looks damn fine to me too.  I wonder if putting a tray under the meat would give you enough smokey rendered fat to make a smokey gravy?

I don't see why not.

OK,3 /12 hrs in the smoker, but at what temp, please?

Sorry. The smoker ran at 250 the whole time.

Marlene

• 8 months later...