• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lindt Chocolate

cakedecorator1968

Have you ever worked with Lindt chocolate?

I've noticed that Lindt chocolate seems to be quite fluid when melted but also seems to be quite a soft chocolate compared to other brands when molded or even just tasted out of the bag? Especially milk and white.

It's always a little soft for me on the tooth....sort of like a cadburys milk chocolate bar at the grocery store ....very soft and creamy. Not really a hard crisp snap like some chocolates but from the fluidity seems to be loaded with cocoa butter.

Comments?

My best suggestion is to compare ingredient labels. I have read different ingredient labels from different brands of chocolate, and was unhappily surprised by what I read from brand to brand.

If you are buying your chocolate by the block, you can request that information from the seller or directly from the manufacturer. Ingredients lists are required to be disclosed, but sometimes companies only do this upon request.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

If the chocolate contains anything other than cocoa butter, it won't temper the same. I am tempted to just say that it won't truly temper, since that process plays off aspects of the strcture of cocoa butter fats, which despite the name, have nothing in common with butter.

You're looking for cacao, cacao butter, and sugar - with the addition of milk solids in the case of milk chocolate, and cacao butter & milk solids in the case of white 'chocolate.' There may be vanilla. If there is any fat other than cacao butter, you are not going to really get a temper - even though it may eat well.

Lindt may well produce a chocolate for the trade that contains only cacao butter ... you might want to contact a rep to find out. But the stuff containing butter won't do it.

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I work pretty much exclusively with Lindt couvetures, and to the best of my knowledge, Lindt does not produce any couvetures with any cocoa butter replacements.

Both milk and white couvetures contain milk fat which is part of milk powder, obviously the dark couvetures don't contain any milk fat. Milk fat has a lower melting point than cocoa butter, and this is reflected in virtually every manufacturer's instructions of a slightly cooler tempering curve and working temperture (usually 30-31 C) for milk and white.

As a side note, cocoa butter expressed from beans say, from Malaysia will have a much harder consistancy at room temperature than cocoa butter from beans from the Ivory Coast or Ghana. Since white "chocolate" is a concoction of only cocoa butter, milk powder, and sugar (alright, some vanilla...) no manufacture will have bragging rights to say that "Our white cocoa beans come exclusively from the area of ________"...

Hope this helps

I work pretty much exclusively with Lindt couvetures, and to the best of my knowledge, Lindt does not produce any couvetures with any cocoa butter replacements.

Both milk and white couvetures contain milk fat which is part of milk powder, obviously the dark couvetures don't contain any milk fat.  Milk fat has a lower melting point than cocoa butter, and this is reflected in virtually every manufacturer's  instructions of a slightly cooler tempering curve and working temperture (usually 30-31 C) for milk and white.

As a side note, cocoa butter expressed from beans say, from Malaysia will have a much harder consistancy at room temperature than cocoa butter from beans from the Ivory Coast or Ghana.  Since white "chocolate" is a concoction of only cocoa butter, milk powder, and sugar (alright, some vanilla...) no manufacture will have bragging rights to say that "Our white cocoa beans come exclusively  from the area of ________"...

Hope this helps

I believe El Rey's Icoa is fabricated entirely from Venezuelan cacao ... so would there not be an origin source available?

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Have you ever worked with Lindt chocolate?

I've noticed that Lindt chocolate seems to be quite fluid when melted but also seems to be quite a soft chocolate compared to other brands when molded or even just tasted out of the bag? Especially milk and white.

It's always a little soft for me on the tooth....sort of like a cadburys milk chocolate bar at the grocery store ....very soft and creamy. Not really a hard crisp snap like some chocolates but from the fluidity seems to be loaded with cocoa butter.

Comments?

I used to use Lindt when I first started doing more chocolate work. It was the first chocolate I bought in larger quantities.

I did find it quite fluid when melted, indicating the cocoa butter content, but as you say, quite soft when molded or coating truffles. It worked quite nicely for the chocolates I was making at that time.

The Callebaut milk chocolate that I moved on to from there was somewhat similar, not quite so soft but with a nice caramel taste.

I use lindt chocolate all the time in my recipes, because it's the only quality chocolate i can find in grocery stores. i worked with the dark chocolate melted for cakes and chopped for cookies and the resaults were good. Frankly speeking i had a fluid consintisty when i used there white chocolate as a ganache for topping cakes, i had to put the melted white chocolate in thr fridge a while to work with it.