• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee-infused lemonade

Tri2Cook

After reading about it on Ideas in Food a while back, I went to the source, found the recipe and made it. I really liked it so I kept the recipe. I made a new batch today. So, anything in the cocktail world that would be good with coffee lemonade as a base? It tastes like not-too-sweet lemonade with a coffee background and definite coffee in the nose and finish. It's very refreshing and possibly a bit on the tart side for some as written. I'm not usually a cocktail guy, few and far between gin and tonics are about it, but I want to try to do something with this for an upcoming party.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around this flavor combination, but I really like the way that rum, particularly medium-bodied amber rums, go with coffee and related flavors. Nearly as good as rum with coffee is brandy with coffee, and rum and brandy go with each other like pie and ice cream. So even though it's a bit difficult for me to imagine coffee lemonade as a flavor, on paper I'd start with rum and work my way from there. Wish I could be more help, I'm sure somebody around here has something worthwhile to add.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Weird. OK, two quick thoughts. I wonder if Audrey's Earl Grey MarTEAni principles would work (simple, lemon juice, egg white) -- though tea ain't coffee and gin ain't either.

The other thought I had involved Averna or some other amaro, but that would take a lot of fiddling.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Weird. OK, two quick thoughts. I wonder if Audrey's Earl Grey MarTEAni principles would work (simple, lemon juice, egg white) -- though tea ain't coffee and gin ain't either.

The other thought I had involved Averna or some other amaro, but that would take a lot of fiddling.

i used to put small spoonfuls of seagram's distillers reserve in my espresso because the contrast of flavors was really great. i also like to pair lemon and coffee with mirto from myrtle berries... mirto is a sardinian specialty but they sell it all over the amalfi coast along side lemoncello... your flavor combination isn't too weird, its just kinda ethnic...

i would first try and mix something like...

1 oz. piney gin...

.5 oz. mirto

3 oz. coffee lemonaide

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Hmmm...I've been thinking of this one. I really like espresso with a little twist of lemon peel, so I think I kinda get the flavors. Plus on Thursday night I had a beer that was infused with coffee and lemon (I think it was called Giddy Up), so I'm all set to hear what you find out. I, too, am having trouble thinking of other flavors to go with it. If you really want to "cocktail-ize" it, especially for a party, maybe just vodka? The lemon and coffee might already be too strong of flavors.

Although...Maybe something fruity like a blueberry or smoky to finish the whole breakfast idea of your drink. A new Liquid Breakfast?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I did the full process. Steeped the coffee in cold water (I went with 24 hrs. on that part), sieved it, heated a small part of it, dissolved in gelatin at .5% by weight and mixed it into the cool part, chilled it, froze it and drained it out. I use gelatin filtration frequently so I'm used to preparing ahead for things that require it.

Question about the coffee "consomme" did your own variation of it, or just followed his? Seems like a multi-day event. Though would deem promising if made correctly.

Jim

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks for the great ideas so far, I'm going to experiment with some of them (the ones that use things I can actually get in my area). I was initially leaning towards the old standby of vodka because I'm happy with the flavor as is but knowing that I'm not a cocktail expert I thought I would enlist the help of those who are in case there were some ideas that might enhance it without drastically changing it.

I used to make a Spanish coffee-lemon water ice thing that I'd douse in tequila to make a slushy type thing.

This was a very concentrated mixture, and I'd call it more lemon flavored coffee than 'coffee lemonade' (i.e. the coffee taste was very strong).

Still, the basic flavor combination of coffee and lemon makes tons of sense.

I'd consider tequila as a spirit.

Possibly pisco too?

Rum of course would also have potential. I'd try a Martinique rum.

I created an espresso-infused Pernod sour for a guy writing a book about coffee drinks. Sounded weird as hell but turned out delicious. Coffee, anise and lemon, and the egg white fantastically melded everything together. So maybe try some absinthe or other pastis? Good luck! Coffee lemonade sounds delicious...

Small Hand Foods

classic ingredients for pre-prohibition era cocktails

So far I've tried...

vodka - didn't really add anything but didn't take away either, a contender

rum - another contender, changed the character a bit but not in a bad way

tequila - didn't care for that one but in all fairness I have to confess that I'm not a tequila fan under the best of circumstances so it may not have been a fair test

gin - the only one I had on hand was Bombay Sapphire and it was somewhat buried in the mix with an odd (couldn't decide if it was unpleasant or not) finish, no mirto available here to try the combo bostonapothecary suggested

...I'm curious about bourbon. I like it with lemonade and I've heard of it with coffee (but never actually tried it) but I can't grasp the three together in my head. Any thoughts on that one? I guess there's an easy way to find out.

I know these are inadequate tasting notes but, as I mentioned, I'm not generally a cocktail connoisseur.

• 2 weeks later...

Great experiment! My first instinct in this one was to add vodka -- and maybe some whiskey barrel bitters too?

It sounds a little like an Arnold Palmer (tea and lemonade). I tried a version at Lure where the bartender steeped Earl Grey tea bags in vodka, and then combined it with lemonade and fresh mint.

I'm also thinking vodka because it will make the drink a little like limoncello; and because coffee would probably overpower a delicate spirit like gin.

Maybe a stronger, richer spirit like a reposado tequila or bourbon might be the way to go.

I think the question is: which is the dominant flavor in your infusion, lemon or coffee? If it's lemon, I'd go with a lighter touch, maybe even a citrus-infused vodka to amp up the lemon flavor. But if coffee dominates, I'd steer toward richer, darker spirits and/or liqueurs.