• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paul Bocuse enameled cast iron

prasantrin

I've posted this in the France forum rather than Kitchen Consumer because I think distribution is rather limited, but moderators, feel free to move the topic!

I was at Carrefour today and found Paul Bocuse enameled cast iron pots. They only had a few left, and I was very tempted to pick up the 20-cm pot. It's about the same weight as Le Creuset, but it has a metal knob (so no worrying about the knob melting in a very hot oven).

I haven't been able to find any information about Paul Bocuse cookware, specifically the enameled cast iron pots. I found that he endorses Staub pots, but these are not Staub and are most definitely branded "Paul Bocuse".

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with these pots? They're about 1/3 the cost of Le Creuset (at least at the store I went to), but since I'm trying to be frugal, I don't want to spend the money unless I'm fairly confident in the quality of the product.

(I should clarify that I was at Carrefour in Japan, and although it is no longer owned by Carrefour, it still gets many of its products through Carrefour channels.)

Paul Bocuse just puts his name on the stuff as you certainly imagine, and has very little to do with the actual design or making. But he endorses it with good reason.

The Paul Bocuse cocottes (cast-iron dutch ovens) are made by Nomar, a small brand from Saint-Etienne (near Lyon) that was bought by Staub in 1988. So technically they are not Staub (actually I think they are a little more user-friendly than Staub) though they belong to them. The quality is high (which explains why Staub bought them) and the price is low. So I'll say, go for them. They're so cheap because they are made by a small company. Le Creuset pans are very, very overpriced anyway. Staub is expensive too but you do get your money's worth.

I used some of the Bocuse cocottes while teaching at the Pourcel's cooking school some years ago (the school is where they use up all the cookware their chef friends give them) and I have found them to be very well made. I love the one with the wooden knob inserted into the iron handle. Excellent for cuisson à l'étouffée, Iranian rice and byrianis for instance. Makes superior tajines and daubes.

Paul Bocuse just puts his name on the stuff as you certainly imagine, and has very little to do with the actual design or making. But he endorses it with good reason.

Thanks Ptipois!

I hope they're still there when I go back. They had very limited quantities (only 1 or two each of three different sizes).

Felice--keeping in mind that I visited Carrefour in Japan, the 20cm pot was Y7900 and the 22cm one was Y8900. There was also an oval one, but I can't remember the details on that one. I would imagine the prices in France would be quite a bit cheaper than in Japan.

I've posted this in the France forum rather than Kitchen Consumer because I think distribution is rather limited, but moderators, feel free to move the topic!

(I should clarify that I was at Carrefour in Japan, and although it is no longer owned by Carrefour, it still gets many of its products through Carrefour channels.)

Can someone inform me if Carrefour in France carries them? Elsewhere? Maybe this should be in Kitchen Consumer? Thanks.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris