• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher recommendation in Northern NJ

ChefJeff

He might mean Harding township. I'm not sure I would call it as northern NJ. Between Basking Ridge and Madison, close to the great swamp. Anyway, I know of no decent butchers in the area. Sorry. I used to live a couple towns away and faced the same issue. Best you could do is Wegmans in Bridgewater and even that is pushing it. Kings meat in my opinion has gone way down. Except for a limited few finding a great butcher in any part of NJ is a problem. Have to go to the city in my humble opinion.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Hi folks -

Relatively new to NJ and could use a recommendation for a good butcher in the Harding area.  Ossu Bucco on the menu for this weekend, so need some equally sized lamb shanks.

Thanks !

I'm assuming from your post you're a chef in a restaurant in Harding. If so call:

Call D'Artagnan and ask for Maureen 973-344-0565 or

Far Hills Seafood and ask for Rick 973-578-2820

Welcome to egullet and good luck ChefJeff

That area (Bernards - Mendham - Madison) should have good butchers, but none come to mind.

Several people have spoken well of Esposito's in Hanover, on Ridgedale, just north of Route 10. I've not used them myself.

I've been exceptionally happy with Vila Meats in Caldwell, used them for several years. Pleased to provide custom cuts.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks Nick, but in my excitment to post after my imposed self-exile I mis-read the question. See I've had nothing to do in the afternoons on my break and started wine tastings for my usual suspects at the bar.

Be cool, Lou

Rail--where is Vila meats?

On Park Avenue about 100 feet in from the corner of Bloomfield Ave. Faces onto Park. They own the tiny lot with the FotoMat kiosk on the corner.

Nice people, although it takes them a while to warm up to customers. As with most butchers, if you tell them about what you want to spend, and what you want to do with it, they'll guide you along.

Lreda - I've driven by Esposito's 1000 times, but never stopped in. I should.

I wonder if they are the same family that ran the butcher shop in Madison? On Main Street, down from what is now Il Mondo Vecchio. Always had live chickens in the windows. Gotta be...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks folks -- I'll give Espositos a try and make a Costco Run while I'm at it. Wegmans (complete opposite direction) will be my fall back.

I did indeed mean Harding Township, adjacent to Chatham/Madison/etc. Would you call that Central NJ instead of Northern NJ ?? This area is screaming for a quality butcher shop...surprised that demand has not been filled.

:cool:

Call Marty Powers at Wayne Meat  973-835-0211

I  have never seen lamb shanks at Costco.

Wayne Meat is a good suggestion, do they do retail?

I know they have several restaurant clients in Madison and Morristown, their truck is around most days

rancho gordo

The A&P in Woodcliffe Lake (definitly Northern NJ) has a butcher that will cut 21 day wet aged shell steaks and will special order other beef and pork. I wonder if other A&Ps do the same? This a very large store.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Call Marty Powers at Wayne Meat  973-835-0211

I  have never seen lamb shanks at Costco.

Wayne Meat is a good suggestion, do they do retail?

I know they have several restaurant clients in Madison and Morristown, their truck is around most days

I think so.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Lreda - I've driven by Esposito's 1000 times, but never stopped in. I should.

I wonder if they are the same family that ran the butcher shop in Madison?

Stopped there tonight. 2# sirloin @5.29 #, about three inches thick. Fine piece of meat, grilled well. Served with fresh arugula and spinach from the Madison Farmers Market. Will definitely go back to Espositos.

Large selection of French, Italian, and Argentine (!) cheeses, in wheels. Rabbit @6.99, various sausage combinations. Nuts, peppers, various pasta, etc.

Not derivative of the Madison store, they told me.

rancho gordo