• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jewish Holiday Centerpieces

Lior

Lior, those are some nice centerpieces. I've never thought to do anything beyond apples in glass cylinders.

Quick question, though: aren't the seven species a Sukkot thing? What's the derivation of that tradition anyway?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hi! The mini pomegranates are just picked a bit early and there also really are mini pom trees- adorable. Olives are picked off the trees around. And yes, usually te seven species are for Tu Bishvat and Sukkot, however, if you follow the season, many are perfect for this time of the year and fall in well with whatis eaten now- pomegranates- a partof theRosh Hashana seder and ripe now, dates- part of the Rosh Hashana seder as well, figs- are ripe mid summer to autumn, so perfect now. Hence they are always apart of this season. As I mention in the cooking section of rosh hashana, our fav part is the seder. Honey is also often considered a part of the seven species, although it was more date honey (a land flowing with milk and honey...) So there are the reasons why we feel :smile: it perfect!

This year we drew the fish head as my youngest would not put up with a fish head....

Edited by Lior (log)

Thank you! The pomegranates are from my cousin's farm. Every Rosh Hashana he gives me a whole carton full as I just love this fruit- its looks, ist flavor... I use it a lot this time of the year, even in chocolate. To me it is the ultimate gift! If I get one with a perfect crown, I can look at it forever. Dates grow all over so it is so easy to get them. These are a kind called Barhi. You can only eat tehm after you freeze them well. When they defrost they are ready to eat, the more they defrost the softer and more honey-er they get. I love using the season's food for each season. Now it is pomegranate and date season.Also figs, which are considered also a special fruit as there is no pit or peel to waste- you eat it all. New figs are constantly growing and ripening from May to October- always a new fig to pluck!! Again, no waste! Its silly but I love these things!! :raz:

For Yom Kippur Eve:

To all taking part in this holy day, May you be inscribed in the Book of Life.

On this day of repentance, I would like to apologize to anyone I may have hurt, annoyed or insulted. It was never intentional and please know that I am sorry if I caused any hurt.

gallery_53591_4944_137666.jpg

Edited by nakji (log)

Hey, we used the 7 species for centerpieces for my son's Bar Mitzvah which was right around Shavuot. They were gorgeous. We actually used dried pomegranates and had them left over a few months later to hand in the Sukkah.

So long and thanks for all the fish.