• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Tri-tip ?

dockhl

I've recently sen pork tri-tip at our local groc stores, can't get a good look to see if it looks like the beef tri-tip or not.

Is anyone familiar with these? Can you cook them the same way or are they better cooked long and slow like other pork this size? Any input would be appreciated !

I've recently sen pork tri-tip at our local groc stores, can't get a good look to see if it looks like the beef tri-tip or not.

Is anyone familiar with these? Can you cook them the same way or are they better cooked long and slow like other pork this size? Any input would be appreciated !

They do resemble beef tri-tip is shape and probably are the same cut of meat. I have grilled them several times in the same manner as the beef version on a Weber kettle with indirect heat. The few I have cooked were lacking in flavor, but I may have missed on the rub. I subbed one for the pork roast I used in the past for pozole and it was very disappointing--again, no flavor. I'm very open to suggestions on using this cut. It is very lean and inexpensive and readily available. No doubt I'll try again.

Sounds to me that if the roast comes from a commercial, flavorless pig, it will be fairly flavorless once cooked. So, brine it or dry rub it overnight before cooking, and maybe that will help. Low and slow doesn't seem right either, as it sounds as if there isn't a whole lot of connective tissue or fat to break down.

This might be a good candidate to cut up, marinate and use in a stir fry or on skewers.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

. . . .

They do resemble beef tri-tip is shape and probably are the same cut of meat.  =

. . . .

They are the same cut of meat -- the tail end of the sirloin. The problem is that while the sirloin from a steer is a tasty, if not-too-tender cut, the same thing can't really be said for the hog sirloin. It's a knot of homely muscles that are pretty much tasteless -- witness the relative unpopularity of the sirloin chop versus the loin and rib chop.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Costco here sells these and labels them Sirloin tip roasts.

I "tri"d them and I think bland is not a strong enough word. They would be Ok for posole if you really spiced up the posole. No, they would ruin perfectly good hominy. Maybe you could use them in a recipe that called for that textured vegetable protein stuff the health food stores carry.

Robert

Seattle

Costco here sells these and labels them Sirloin tip roasts. 

I "tri"d them and I think bland is not a strong enough word.  They would be Ok for posole if you really spiced up the posole.  No, they would ruin perfectly good hominy.  Maybe you could use them in a recipe that called for that textured vegetable protein stuff the health food stores carry.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Or, maybe not..................

• 4 months later...

Crap.

I just bought a bone-in 3 pounder at a buck a pound. Couldn't resist the price. Maybe a braise with lots of garlic, onion, oregano, booze and orange juice? Pernil style?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Yar.  I get skinless/boneless Ck.Br. for $ 1.77.  that's at least 11 % cheaper.   :raz:

but wait, to be fair, there are up to two tendons I remove. factor that in, the Ck.Br. are at least $ 1.84 a lbs.

my labor I write off as cheaper than Psychotherapy and much more effective. Skilled Knife Work generally is,

Ive found.

so its over 8 % cheaper.  probably a bit tastier, but not a lot.  I'll be generous, I wont factor that in .

so over all :   :raz:

Cr.Br. works good SV, too.  In Bulk.  add in's later : the sandwich, the Ck.Salad, the Ck. in the salad. etc.

Edited by rotuts (log)