• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Autumn Truffle Festivals in Piedmont

Sampaguita

Its autumn again in Piedmont and the scent of white truffles are in the air. This year promises to be a good year for the prized “Tuber magnatum pico” as we have had a cool September and (a lot) more rain then last year. White truffles can be found in Asti market at 2 euro a gram, which is relatively cheap.

Here is a list of this year’s Truffle festivals in Piedmont’s provinces of Asti (AT), Cuneo (CN), Alessandria (AL) and Torino (TO).

Festivals marked with an asterisk* are major Truffle Fairs (Fiere Nazionali) or Giornata del Tartufo, which indicate a big local festival day in which truffles are part of the whole event.

·Oct 4 to Nov 9th, every weekend, Alba* (CN) international truffle fair.

·Oct 5 - Montigliole Monferrato (AT)

·Oct 11 - Odalengo Piccolo (AL)

·Oct 12 - Montigliole Monferrato (AT); Odalengo Piccolo (AL); Bergamasco (AL); Castagnole Monferrato* vendemmia del nonno (AT).

·Oct 19 - Mombercelli (AT); Moncalvo* (AT); Tagliole Monferrato* Sapori d’autonno (AL)

·Oct 26 – Moncalvo* (AT); Incisa Scapaccino (AT); Trisobbio (AL); Brignano Frascata (AL); Sardigliano (AL); Bene Vagienna (CN).

·Oct 30 – Nov 2 - Mondovi (CN)

·Nov 2 - Montechiaro * (AT); Nizza Monferrato* Barbera & Cardo Gobbo(AT); San Damiano d'Asti(AT); Cella Monte (AL); Avolasca (AL); Serralunga di Crea (AL)

·Nov 7 – Nov 9 - Paroldo (CN)

·Nov 8 – Tortona (AL)

·Nov 9 –Canelli (AT); Costigliole d'Asti (AT); Alessandria (AL); Avolasca (AL); Rivalba (TO)

·Nov 16 - Asti* Cucina e Cantina (AT); Murisengo (AL)* San Sebastiano Curone* (AL); Villafranca d'Asti (AT)

·Nov 23 - Castelnuovo Don Bosco* (AT); Acqui Terme (AL); Montegrosso d’Asti;; Ottiglio (AL)

·Nov 23 – Nov 30 - Vezza d’Alba* Vini del Roero (CN)

·Nov 29 – Nov 30 - Casale Monferrato (AL)

·Dec 7 - Cortazzone (AT); Santo Stephano Belbo (CN).

·Jan 27 – Scagnello – black truffle (CN)

Buon appetito!

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

So glad to see you posting. I posted a question to you a few weeks ago regarding some dinning questions. I can be in the area on Sunday the 19th . Do you recommend one fair over another? I will drive up from Montalcino that morning and can be there by noon. I was thinking Moncalvo as I do not know Tagliole Monferrato. But would be willing to learn .

I would like to talk to you more about other ideas for the area. I am free from Sunday till Weds with no plans yet. I have a friend (as you may remember me saying last year) in Treiso that I usually visit but would love to see more of the Monferrato this time. I have wanted to try Tre Colli but have not yet. Any thoughts on that?

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Dfunghi, we have been without internet for almost 2 weeks due to a major problem with Asti's server and also this is very busy time for us so I haven't been on the forums much, I will look for your earlier post.

Moncalvo truffle festival is usually very good and a big festival with all kinds of local foodstuffes and wine. I don't know Tagliole, but I saw a brochure for their autumn truffle fair and its looks a scenic almost medieval town, quite pretty. I suppoe it depends if you prefer Barbera d'Asti (Moncalvo) to Dolcetto d'Ovada (Tagliole) as your wine to go with the truffles. And of course where you will be staying.

Villa Sampaguita

Mark, I think that it will get much better as the season progresses, and when it starts raining. Its unusual to have so many truffles and so cheap so early, but it has been cool with moist mist, but no rain yet (which is a blessing as the Nebbiolo's and even Barbera's are being picked late this year. So dar the truffles are quite small, should get bigger as the year progresses. Orange,am I would love to post pictures, just have to remembr how to on this forum.

Villa Sampaguita

Blissful,

all good restaurants throughout Piedmont (and there are so many listed if you scroll through this forum) will be serving truffles on their menus in October and November. I personally like the smaller Osterie and Trattorie who will offer you a basket of truffles for you to pick, and then weigh it and shave it over your food until you cry uncle. They usually leave the truffle and shaver on the table in case you are tempted for more. When you are finished they weigh the truffle (if any left) and you pay for the weight of the truffle you consume. Bigger and fancier restaurants often just offer a truffle option in which the truffles are pre-shaved on the dish in the kitchen - I don't care for this as I can't see the truffle and don't know how fresh it might be (or if its a Piedmont truffle and not from another area).

In Alba the best restaurants are reputed to be (but I can't personally say as I haven't eaten at either) La Libera and Osterie del Arco. If you can get out of town try the Osterie Vignaiolo in Santa Maria on the road to La Morra.

Villa Sampaguita

Can anyone point me towards a thread where I can find a place in Alba for a white truffle dinner? Thanks in advance.

While Alba is a wonderful place to stay and wander (especially on market days), the best restaurant options require a car and short drives into wine country. I would consider heading for Antine or Vecchio Tres Stelle in Barbaresco (20 minutes away), Il Centro in Priocca (15 minutes away) or Antica Corona da Renzo in Cervere (a bit further, but the best of all in my judgment). Lunches are likely to be more enjoyable than dinners. And just think of the great Barberas, Barbarescos and Barolos you can order with those truffles.

P.S. Keep it simple when ordering your truffles -- egg dishes work very well, as do simple fresh pastas like agnolotti del plin and taliarin.

Mark, I think that it will get much better as the season progresses, and when it starts raining. Its unusual to have so many truffles and so cheap so early, but it has been cool with moist mist, but no rain yet (which is a blessing as the Nebbiolo's and even Barbera's are being picked late this year. So dar the truffles are quite small, should get bigger as the year progresses. Orange,am I would love to post pictures, just have to remembr how to on this forum.

Thanks Sampaguita!!

We will be staying @ La Villa - is Il Caffi(sp?) still worth a dinner? Any other good spots in the area?

We will be staying @ La Villa - is Il Caffi(sp?) still worth a dinner? Any other good spots in the area?

I haven't been to I Caffi since they moved from Cassinasco to Acqui Terme, but reports say that the cuisine is still as good as it was whe I ate there (maybe easier to get home as the drive through narrow hill roads was quite tough). Also they are open for lunch, which is maybe a good thing for driving home at night too.

I think the folks who run La Villa should have a number of good reccomendations, Nizza M would be the closest town, and I really used to like La Rotonda a few years ago when I was last ate in those parts. Also not too far from Calamandrana (Violetta and Bardon would be my picks).

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update -- Acqui Terme is still a most charming town - Il Caffi - was terrific as was Bacco and La Cornu(sp?) - I seem to always forget what a great town Acqui T is.... FWIW, for us yanky ex-pats - Piedmonte is, to me like wisconson - charming, good food, pleasant,friendly, educated,open minded and fairly wealthy....... just my perspective from a guy who lives near detroit and has a flat in cap ferrat france......

Just a quick update -- Acqui Terme is still a most charming town - Il Caffi - was terrific as was Bacco and La Cornu(sp?) - I seem to always forget what a great town Acqui T is.... FWIW, for us yanky ex-pats - Piedmonte is, to me like wisconson - charming, good food, pleasant,friendly, educated,open minded and fairly wealthy....... just my perspective from a guy who lives near detroit and has a flat in cap ferrat france......

I agree, I love Acqui Terme! When I first came to Piemonte a few years ago many on eGullet pushed me in the direction of Alba instead of Acqui Terme so AT was late on my discovery list. That was a mistake. AT is lovely!