• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dinner party ideas

pam claughton

Am having some friends over for dinner Saturday night, either 4 or 6, so a small group and only one is a true foodie. So am looking for ideas, and it made me curious to check in here. What are your 'sure thing' favorite dinner party dishes?

Thanks!

:biggrin: Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

I don't really have a "sure thing" because I'm always going through some kind of new kick. These days I like to serve dinner guests something grilled, something steamed and something baked. I'm also a fan of having all the food on the table in communal bowls and plates. I give them smallish plates so they help themselves a few times, adds to the conversation.

Can you provide more info such as occasion, type of cuisine, theme, etc?

If I had 4-6 for dinner this weekend I'd give them:

1. roasted beef marrow bones (with herb garlic bread for smearing/dipping)

2. grilled fish steaks (like char, shark, halibut)

3. oven-roasted veggies (parsnip, beet, squash, sweet potato)

4. a grain (such as quinoa, green or red rice, couscous)

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I don't really have a "sure thing" because I'm always going through some kind of new kick. These days I like to serve dinner guests something grilled, something steamed and something baked. I'm also a fan of having all the food on the table in communal bowls and plates. I give them smallish plates so they help themselves a few times, adds to the conversation.

Can you provide more info such as occasion, type of cuisine, theme, etc?

3. oven-roasted root veggies (parsnip, beet, squash, sweet potato)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions! The occasion is a friendly get together and interestingly, one of the people I haven't met before but successfully played matchmaker, setting up a friend with another friend's roommate and both of them will be at the dinner party. All good eaters, one person doesn't do shellfish, so will likely steer clear of that...otherwise anything goes. Will likely have guacamole as one of the starters as they all love it.

~Pam

I tend to cook "to the crowd" - roasted beef or pork for non-adventuresome MIL, all out for anything goes MIL, experiments for friends who are close enough to say that it didn't work and not mind breakfast for dinner in that case. That said, here are some links for dishes that I've served over and over again to raves and requests for recipes. They are particularly suited to the cooler weather, too.

James Beard's Pastitsio is a huge, satisfying and delicious casserole.

Braised Lamb Shanks w/ Caramelized Onions

Grilled Leg of Lamb w/ Feta-Herb Salsa is unusual, impressive and really easy to make.

Short Ribs w/ Caramelized Onions and Hoisin

Chicken w/ Marsala, Figs & Goat Cheese

Hope these are of some help! Let us know what you do and how it went!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions! The occasion is a friendly get together and interestingly, one of the people I haven't met before but successfully played matchmaker, setting up a friend with another friend's roommate and both of them will be at the dinner party. All good eaters, one person doesn't do shellfish, so will likely steer clear of that...otherwise anything goes. Will likely have guacamole as one of the starters as they all love it.

~Pam

Pam, when you say "good eaters" do you mean hearty appetites, or adventerous palates?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

3. oven-roasted veggies (parsnip, beet, squash, sweet potato)

Please invite me for dinner! :wink:

I think braisés and stews are always a good option for groups unless you have an enormous stove or plan to use the BBQ.

Since you plan on having guacamole, you might want to explore mexican cuisine. Pork or poultry with mole can be particularly good. A side of mashed winter squash would complement nicely anything a bit spicy by providing some seasonal sweetness.

If you plan on grilling fish, as Peter the eater suggests, you could make an easy salsa verde with tomatillos to go with it.

You could also play on textures that contrasts with the smoothness of the guacamole by making crispy dishes like the now classic coconut prawns or a salad with toasts.

I might grill a tri-tip (goes great with salsa and guacamole) and add roasted potatoes (with olive oil, garlic and rosemary) -- but then a Santa Maria Barbecue would have beans instead.

Or, roast a pork sholder so it's sliceable (about 165 internal temp), and add twice-baked potatoes en casserole.

And a salad.

They may not be adventuresome, but should appeal to a broad group.

Michael

Hi Peter,

~Pam

Pam, when you say "good eaters" do you mean hearty appetites, or adventerous palates?

I mean easy going, not fussy. Not sure if all are as adventurous as I am. :)

I tend to cook "to the crowd" - roasted beef or pork for non-adventuresome MIL, all out for anything goes MIL, experiments for friends who are close enough to say that it didn't work and not mind breakfast for dinner in that case.  That said, here are some links for dishes that I've served over and over again to raves and requests for recipes.  They are particularly suited to the cooler weather, too.

James Beard's Pastitsio is a huge, satisfying and delicious casserole.

Braised Lamb Shanks w/ Caramelized Onions

Grilled Leg of Lamb w/ Feta-Herb Salsa is unusual, impressive and really easy to make.

Short Ribs w/ Caramelized Onions and Hoisin

Chicken w/ Marsala, Figs & Goat Cheese

Hope these are of some help!  Let us know what you do and how it went!

Kim,

Thank you! These all sound good, and thank you for the links.

:)

I think braisés and stews are always a good option for groups unless you have an enormous stove or plan to use the BBQ.

Since you plan on having guacamole, you might want to explore mexican cuisine. Pork or poultry with mole can be particularly good. A side of mashed winter squash would complement nicely anything a bit spicy by providing some seasonal sweetness.

If you plan on grilling fish, as Peter the eater suggests, you could make an easy salsa verde with tomatillos to go with it.

You could also play on textures that contrasts with the smoothness of the guacamole by making crispy dishes like the now classic coconut prawns or a salad with toasts.

Magictofu,

Thank you, I am tempted to go Mexican, and like the idea of mashed winter squash and something crispy sounds good too.

:) Pam

I might grill a tri-tip (goes great with salsa and guacamole) and add roasted potatoes (with olive oil, garlic and rosemary) -- but then a Santa Maria Barbecue would have beans instead.

Or, roast a pork sholder so it's sliceable (about 165 internal temp), and add twice-baked potatoes en casserole.

And a salad.

They may not be adventuresome, but should appeal to a broad group.

Michael

Michael,

Grilling a tri-tip sounds delicious...and twice baked potatoes too, which I could make ahead.

thank you!

Pam

I agree with a braise in this cooler weather. Braised or slow roasted short ribs, mashed potatoes with carmelized onions or shallots, maybe glazed carrots.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Or, just go for it and do a roasted whole beef tenderloin (tuck the tail end under to keep the thickness even) potatoes au gratin and whole fresh green beans almondine. Always a classic! HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I like to do at least a few courses or small dishes. That lets me experiment with new projects (in my house, dinner guest=guinea pig), and then ease any anxieties with some standbyes that are more reliable.

And I keep in mind who's coming. Not based on adventurousness--my neighborhood is enough to filter out the unadventurous--but on food preferences. If my mom is coming, there will be a fennel dish. She's a sucker for it. If my godmother is coming, there won't be any olive oil. If my girlfriend is coming, there will be lots and lots of meat.

The biggest decision is whether the evening will be more about food or about hanging out. If the former, I'll resign myself to spending more of the meal in the kitchen, doing sauté and pan sauces and a la minute preparations that I think are fun. If the latter, I'll do braises, soups, or stews ... as many things as possible that can be prepared in advance, so I can act like a guest at the party instead of a staff member.

Notes from the underbelly

Lately my go-to party dish is a layered polenta casserole, usually with a veal/sausage ragu, though there are variations. The key is that it is a make-ahead dish that is assembled before the party. The ragu is even better the next day, naturally, but even the polenta can be made ahead of time; I just smooth it out in the casserole that I will be using, about 1-1/2" thick, and refrigerate it. The next day pop it out and slice it across as you would do with a layer cake, then layer it with your meat, cheese, sauce, whatever, and bake. This lets you get other things ready while your main dish is cooking itself.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

As our first storm of the season approaches I'm thinking braised short ribs & polenta with a crisp salad & crusty bread.

Beef, pork, or chicken slow simmered in a red chili sauce, lots of fresh corn tortillas, a quick saute of black beans, hominy, diced jalapeno & red onion with lots of fresh lime juice and cilantro. A slaw with cabbage, peppers, onions, carrots, & a vinegar based dressing with lots of oregano (make the day before). Of course sour cream (or crema), shredded cheese, salsa, and lime wedges to garnish. Perhaps a chocolate chili pots de creme for dessert????

:smile:

As our first storm of the season approaches I'm thinking braised short ribs & polenta with a crisp salad & crusty bread.

Beef, pork, or chicken slow simmered in a red chili sauce, lots of fresh corn tortillas, a quick saute of black beans, hominy, diced jalapeno & red onion with lots of fresh lime juice and cilantro.  A slaw with cabbage, peppers, onions, carrots, & a vinegar based dressing with lots of oregano (make the day before).  Of course sour cream (or crema), shredded cheese, salsa, and lime wedges to garnish.   Perhaps a chocolate chili pots de creme for dessert????

Sharon my mouth is watering at the thought of chocolate chili pots creme for dessert, that sounds right up my alley. I may have to look into finding a recipe for that...do you have a favorite? If not, I'll see what google brings.

Here's what I've decided on,

For appetizers, fresh guacamole and chips, and a selection of cheeses and crackers

salad, mixed greens with toasted walnuts, goat cheese and dried berries with a balsamic dressing

braised short ribs in red wine and dijon mustard sauce....from epicurious. Have it going now, here's the recipe Will serve with creamy mashed potatoes and crusty bread.

I was torn between that or this months Bon Appetit cover recipe that has rave reviews at Epicurious, Texas Beef Brisket Chili. It has no beans and has butternut squash, which I thought has a unique seasonal flavor.

So, I bought all the ingredients for that too as a backup...will make tomorrow and either use or freeze. Here's therecipe

For dessert, I was thinking of making a family favorite. It's basically a flourless chocolate cake, rich and decadent, made with equal amounts of chocolate and butter and super easy. This recipe is from Orangette's blog. I am intrigued though by the idea of chili chocolate pots de creme so am not 100% yet on dessert.

Thanks everyone for all of your great suggestions.

If you like the idea of chile and chocolate, why not add a pinch of cayenne, or chipotle or ancho to your flourless chocolate cake? I've altered a regular brownie recipe (for an 8x8 pan pan) with half a teaspoon of cayenne and a teaspoon of cinnamon, for a "Mexican brownie" version. It's a hit whenever I serve it.

Beef, pork, or chicken slow simmered in a red chili sauce, lots of fresh corn tortillas, a quick saute of black beans, hominy, diced jalapeno & red onion with lots of fresh lime juice and cilantro.  A slaw with cabbage, peppers, onions, carrots, & a vinegar based dressing with lots of oregano (make the day before).  Of course sour cream (or crema), shredded cheese, salsa, and lime wedges to garnish.  Perhaps a chocolate chili pots de creme for dessert????

Sharon my mouth is watering at the thought of chocolate chili pots creme for dessert, that sounds right up my alley. I may have to look into finding a recipe for that...do you have a favorite? If not, I'll see what google brings.

Here's what I've decided on,

For appetizers, fresh guacamole and chips, and a selection of cheeses and crackers

salad, mixed greens with toasted walnuts, goat cheese and dried berries with a balsamic dressing

braised short ribs in red wine and dijon mustard sauce....from epicurious. Have it going now, here's the recipe Will serve with creamy mashed potatoes and crusty bread.

I was torn between that or this months Bon Appetit cover recipe that has rave reviews at Epicurious, Texas Beef Brisket Chili. It has no beans and has butternut squash, which I thought has a unique seasonal flavor.

So, I bought all the ingredients for that too as a backup...will make tomorrow and either use or freeze. Here's therecipe

For dessert, I was thinking of making a family favorite. It's basically a flourless chocolate cake, rich and decadent, made with equal amounts of chocolate and butter and super easy. This recipe is from Orangette's blog. I am intrigued though by the idea of chili chocolate pots de creme so am not 100% yet on dessert.

Thanks everyone for all of your great suggestions.

Chocolate Chili Pots de Creme

This is so stupid simple - I really need to make this again!

1 1/4 c. heavy cream

2/3 c. milk (scant)

1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne (I like chipotle better)

2 to 6 dried red chiles (I used all 6 a combination of ancho, pasilla, and california red)

12 oz bittersweet or semisweet (or a combination)

2 eggs

Combine cream, milk and dried chilies (seed and stem) in a heavy saucepan. Heat until just barely boiling and let steep 15 minutes. Strain, add cayenne, and reheat.

Place chocolate in chunks in a food processor, pour the hot milk mixture over, let stand 30 seconds. Process for 1 minute, add eggs, and process for another 45 seconds.

Pour into 1/4 c. ramekins and let stand 6 hours or overnight.

Now - this is all well and good - impressive, wonderful dessert but I frequently throw in the remainder of the pint of cream and put it all in an icecream machine and freeze. Yummy too. Depends on the season. :wub::biggrin:

Jaz,

I almost did that, and will next time I make this dessert. Didn't this time because not everyone likes spice the way I do. :)

Sharon,

Thanks for the recipe! I will make this one soon for sure. :biggrin:

Have to say, the short ribs recipe I used, link in earlier post above, is by far the best way I've braised ribs or brisket yet. So simple and delicious, just five ingredients, beef, shallots, red wine, plum tomatoes and course dijon mustard.

They all work beautifully together and a key is that you reduce 4 cups of wine at the beginning, to one cup and use that as your braising liquid. Just brown the beef, then the shallots, set the shallots aside, add the wine and mustard and let it go. Halfway through add in the shallots and tomatoes, then at the end add a little more mustard to the sauce, plenty of salt and pepper and it's heavenly.

Am eating the leftovers, what little there were, now for lunch. :raz: