• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 Nights in Vegas...

Hi all,

I"ll be in Vegas for 2 nights and need some dinner advice:

On one night we (2 persons) will dine at one of the Emeril's restaurants, since we have a gift voucher (150$).

The question is: which one? Any suggestions? Delmonico and Table 10 both sound interesting...

For the other night Iam still unsure...are the top end places like Michael Mina, Alex or Picasso really worth the price? From what I saw and read they seem like your average french cuisine-based fine dining restaurant to me. Nothing special.

(We come from great dinners at Chicago's Alinea and L.A.'s superb Providence, so the stakes are high...on the other hand we now had to suffer through 10 days of eating in rural Arizona and Utah, so we might be thankful for anything that is not a bad burger, inedible beef ribs or terrible steak with even worse fries... :wacko: ).

Robuchon and Savoy are not an option - way overpriced in my opinion.

Any thoughts about Bouchon? The menu doesn't look too intriguing imho.

Thank you all!

regards

kai

My husband and I dined at L'atelier de Joel Robuchon at MGM when we were in Vegas this past April. I chose the restaurant based off of recommendations on this forum and wasnt' disappointed. I thought the tasting menu was worth the price, the seating at the bar was a nice opportunity to watch the kitchen, the food and the service were excellent. They don't advertise a standard wine pairing with the menu, but they do know people want this, so they have put together a series of wines to go with the courses. What I did like about it was that they noticed both my husband and I were going a little slow on the wine, so they did some splitting of the glasses/half pours for us, which was much appreciated.

I've always liked bar seating at nice restaurants and this proved to be the case again. Vegas is great for people watching, so it was fun to be three stools down from a couple with giant 7-11 slurpee cups eating a $125 meal/each; and then on the other side being a few stools away from Hung, the Top Chef winner, and watching him politely respond to the woman who was sooo excited to meet him.

I've dined at Alinea and L20 here in Chicago, and feel you won't be disappointed in this place.

Also, I wouldn't be too hard on rural Arizona and Utah. We've had some really nice meals beyong burger and fries in these areas. (And one of our favorite places in Chicago to take people is a burger place - it's all about expectations.)

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Bouchon is a great Bistro and one of the most pretty I have been to.. However,it's a bistro and you seem like you are looking for a high end exerpience.. Bouchon is great for breakfast or brunch.

My favorite place I went to this last trip was Cut.. It was outstanding.. I had this crab appetizer that was probably the best dish I have had in a long time.. Joel Robuchon is another favorite of mine in Vegas..

Cut is a steakhouse but has some really wonderful dishes besides steak..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I adore fine dining (I'm from NYC, and have dined at some of the best in NY: Per Se, Bouley, Aureole, Eleven Madison Park). I've also dined in Chicago at Tru and Charlie Trotter's so I am able to strongly recommend Alex to you while you're in LV. It's definitely up there with the best of the US restaurants. Not overpriced (especially in comparison to Per Se) at all. I found the service charming and attentive. Food is wonderfully creative. Decor is opulent. Sommelier made some of the best picks ever. I hope you enjoy yourself. You should check out the menu at the Wynn website. It looks wonderful. My most recent dining at Alex was six weeks ago, and it was wonderful!

I say give L'Atelier de Joel Rubochon at the MGM Grand a try. I think you will really like it.

Does the other meal have to be really high end? If so, try Alex over at the Wynn. I hear great things about it. Is it maybe "just like a typical, well done fancy French type place"? I dunno. Maybe. But it's not like a really well done French type place is a bad experience.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

On one night we (2 persons) will dine at one of the Emeril's restaurants, since we have a gift voucher (150$).

The question is: which one? Any suggestions? Delmonico and Table 10 both sound interesting...

kai, Delmonico's is a good steakhouse. Very large restaurant. It's worth trying. I don't know anything about Table 10 except it's new at the Palazzo.

For the other night Iam still unsure...are the top end places like Michael Mina, Alex or Picasso really worth the price? From what I saw and read they seem like your average french cuisine-based fine dining restaurant to me. Nothing special.

(We come from great dinners at Chicago's Alinea and L.A.'s superb Providence, so the stakes are high...on the other hand we now had to suffer through 10 days of eating in rural Arizona and Utah, so we might be thankful for anything that is not a bad burger, inedible beef ribs or terrible steak with even worse fries...  :wacko: ).

Robuchon and Savoy are not an option - way overpriced in my opinion.

Alex is really worth the price. Before Robuchon & Savoy came to Las Vegas, Alex Stratta arguably had the best fine dining restaurant in Las Vegas.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon is not overpriced (perhaps under $150 USD for the nine-course menu decouverte). In fact, I consider Robuchon's "casual" restaurant the best fine dining value along the Strip.

Any thoughts about Bouchon? The menu doesn't look too intriguing imho.

Bouchon for breakfast. It's fine for what it is. Half the fun is trying to find it the first time, even with a map. I think I posted directions (with photos) how to get there.

As for lunch, you should really try Sensi at the Bellagio. Chef Martin Heierling is very creative, combining European and Asian flavors together. If you don't mind going to a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, you can dine at Cut Steakhouse at the Palazzo or Spago Las Vegas at Caesar's.

kai, it sounds like you two like the dinner at Providence. Schmeck es gut?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...