• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

plastic wrap sticks to proofing bread

KitchenQueen

I'm working on Pane Sicilano-3 loaves each on half sheet pans.

This has to be refrigerated overnight, then I get to peel the stuck plastic wrap off the loaves again tomorrow. Peel too hard, watch it deflate.

No room on the pans to put a taller glass or cup in the middle to raise the wrap a bit. A bit of Pam on the loaves doesn't really help much. I've been through this many times before.

This is for a potluck tomorrow. I'll be up an an ungodly hour to let these come to room temp and bake them. And I have to be AT WORK at 7am.

Any guesses on my mood at that hour? Even pure Kona can't cure that zombieism.

Any fixes I never heard of?

When I retard in the fridge, I never use plastic wrap, just lightly cover the loaves with a dish towel after spraying the loaves lightly with oil. Edited to add, I sometimes flour the towel itself lightly. I've never had it stick this way.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Every day I retard for baking in the morning. My bread (which isn't as fragile) goes on parchment on a standard baking sheet. I cover it with a kitchen garbage bag. To keep the bag from touching I use an elevated cooling wire rack LIKE THESE that stands above the dough. I've also had to get creative and find things to hold the bag up like cones, skewers, etc.. One tool that has come in handy is that little pastry tip cleaning stand or the pate choux filler tip. Good luck.

When I retard in the fridge, I never use plastic wrap, just lightly cover the loaves with a dish towel after spraying the loaves lightly with oil.  Edited to add, I sometimes flour the towel itself lightly.  I've never had it stick this way.

They will be covered with sesame seeds. The towels aren't too heavy? And I have no towels large enough to cover the entire pan and edges too. The edges would form a nasty little crust, wouldn't they?

Just asking.

But I will get myself out and get some larger and lighter ones for future use. Damn that switch I made to almost all microfibre.

I have a few casserole towels, but they weigh a ton.

Yes, the towel has to cover the whole pan and edges. I usually use flour sack towels and I've not found them to be too heavy. I forgot that Pane Sicilano has sesame seeds on it,

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Every day I retard for baking in the morning.  My bread (which isn't as fragile) goes on parchment on a standard baking sheet.  I cover it with a kitchen garbage bag.  To keep the bag from touching I use an elevated cooling wire rack LIKE THESE that stands above the dough.  I've also had to get creative and find things to hold the bag up like cones, skewers, etc..  One tool that has come in handy is that little pastry tip cleaning stand or the pate choux filler tip.  Good luck.

The wire rack I have, but mine is not quite tall enough, I've tried it.

But your last 2 suggestions I'm not familiar with. Whazza pastry tip cleaning stand?

The wire rack I have, but mine is not  quite tall enough, I've tried it.

But your last 2 suggestions I'm not familiar with.  Whazza pastry tip cleaning stand?

Not even sure if that's what they are, but imagine a fifty cent piece lying down with a 3" toothpick standing staight up out of it, and the whole thing being one piece of metal. It comes in pastry tip kits often times. But forget all that, just be creative - why not a wire coat hanger bent to fit around the pan. Skewers brought together and tied with a twisty tie. You have something at home that will let you sleep well :)

The wire rack I have, but mine is not  quite tall enough, I've tried it.

But your last 2 suggestions I'm not familiar with.  Whazza pastry tip cleaning stand?

Not even sure if that's what they are, but imagine a fifty cent piece lying down with a 3" toothpick standing staight up out of it, and the whole thing being one piece of metal. It comes in pastry tip kits often times. But forget all that, just be creative - why not a wire coat hanger bent to fit around the pan. Skewers brought together and tied with a twisty tie. You have something at home that will let you sleep well :)

Sounds like it might be a rose nail for making flowers with your pastry tips.

I use a large heavy plastic bag laid over floured dough with a old pillowcase on top of that. Don't often have trouble with it sticking - don't know if that's due to the heavier plastic or the flour.

[Not even sure if that's what they are, but imagine a fifty cent piece lying down with a 3" toothpick standing staight up out of it, and the whole thing being one piece of metal.  It comes in pastry tip kits often times.  But forget all that, just be creative - why not a wire coat hanger bent to fit around the pan.  Skewers brought together and tied with a twisty tie.  You have something at home that will let you sleep well :)

it's a flower nail (looks a little like a gigantic thumbtack?). You hold the "nail" part in your fingers, put a square of waxed paper on the nail and pipe the flower on the wax paper. Some people use it as a heating core of sorts when baking a big cake (14"+ but I've never found it to be useful). So now I have another suggestion for using it, thanks Rob!

Oiling the plastic does greatly reduce the sticking.

However, these days I put my dough into a big (big enough for room to rise) tupperware-type box.

And I've been proofing shaped loaves on (and under) floured linen (dishtowels) since noting how nicely the linen lining in my fancy bannetons worked.

The linen allows the dough surface to dry just a little, which makes for easier handling, better slashing, etc. In comparison, putting them in/under plastic produces a "sweaty" surface.

I emphasised that the fabric must be linen. Dough sticks to cotton much much much more than it does to linen!

Different people advise different flours for flouring the linen. Rye works for me. I rub it (not much of it) around and tip off what doesn't stay trapped in the cloth. I've heard good reports of rice flour. (I gather its better not to use wheat flour.)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

try more pan spray on top. i shape mine, good coat of pan spray on top and then plastic. 2 day retard in cooler. about a hundred a week. pulls off easy every time :wink:

watermelon lizards catch bass in charleston!

simplicity is the mother of all beauty - Big John's Tavern

I'm working on Pane Sicilano-3 loaves each on  half sheet pans.

This has to be refrigerated overnight, then I get to peel the stuck plastic wrap off the loaves again tomorrow.  Peel too hard, watch it deflate.

No room on the pans to put a taller glass or cup in the middle  to raise the wrap a bit.  A bit of Pam on the loaves doesn't really help much.  I've been through this many times before.

This is for a potluck tomorrow.  I'll be up an an ungodly hour to let these come to room temp and bake them.  And I have to be AT WORK at 7am.

Any guesses on my mood at that hour?  Even pure Kona can't cure that zombieism.

Any fixes I never heard of?

When we proof we cover the dough with sheets of freezer paper (shiny side down) that has been sprayed with PAM. We usually have very little trouble getting it off, especially if the dough is chilled. You should be able to find rolls of freezer paper at Costco or other stores like that.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

instead of plastic wrap, cover with a large plastic container... like a rubbermaid rectangular tub or sheetcake carrier. Or King Arthur sells those clear acrylic covers with handles you see on breakfast buffets. Less waste and no sticking, plus you can put other things on top of it in the fridge.