• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mislabeled food

paulraphael

Ok, so my local deli is selling "Macadamia Nut Cookies" that don't have macadamia nuts in them. They're full of peanuts.

I brought this up with the manager, pointing out that not only is he ripping people off, but he's potentially endagering people with food allergies.

His roundabout response was that no one else has complained, so it's obviously not a real problem.

Granted, this is a minor issue in a world of war and economic collapse, but this level of disrespect (toward customers, toward the law, but mostly toward food) really rubs me the wrong way.

What's the best way to complain about this guy?

Notes from the underbelly

Ok, so my local deli is selling "Macadamia Nut Cookies" that don't have macadamia nuts in them. They're full of peanuts.

I brought this up with the manager, pointing out that not only is he ripping people off, but he's potentially endagering people with food allergies.

His roundabout response was that no one else has complained, so it's obviously not a real problem.

Granted, this is a minor issue in a world of war and economic collapse, but this level of disrespect (toward customers, toward the law, but mostly toward food) really rubs me the wrong way.

What's the best way to complain about this guy?

Wow...I'm not so sure that it's this particular guy that you need to be worried about. It's really more of a problem with the business itself, and if you pointed out such a major-league problem, and it fell on deaf ears, I'm really thinking that the local news station might be the best way to handle this.

It's really the danger of the peanut allergies that makes me sit up and take notice. "Well, no one's complained, and apparently no one's died...yet, ergo, it's not a problem" is either the most negligent attitude I've ever heard, or it's purposely ignorant. So I'll revise: I guess you should try to contact the owner of the place, and ask about it, yet be clear that you're not "just asking".

Ask the owner what kind of criminal and civil action could become of this, and what the local news might think. This is not the time to pussyfoot around, IMHO. They know *exactly* what they're doing, and if you know it too, the red flag should be raised.

I wonder what *else* they're trying to pull off?

I actually think the guy is just clueless. They buy the cookies from some bakery. I'm probably the only customer who noticed. He said he told the bakery about the problem (when I brought it up last week), and seems to think his responsibility ends there.

The did not seem at all the managerial type. He just does what he's told and has no interest in the big picture. That's really the root of the problem.

Notes from the underbelly

Are the cookies labelled with an ingredient list?

I just went for my ServSafe recertification and listing allergens (as well as knowing what to do in case a customer exhibits an allergic reaction) was on the test and the instructor spent some time on the topic of allergens and food labelling.

Maybe if you find an opportunity to bring it up again, you could mention that if someone had a reaction, they would be held liable (regardless of whether they purchased the cookies or not. They're still selling them). That might get them to notice... but the truth is, if the guy is a clerk selling the cookies he has no skin in the game so to speak....

I would send a nice note to the owner, in a "helpful" tone. First, he may not understand he's being ripped off by the bakery. And second, he may appreciate a heads-up that could keep someone from dying, and him from being sued. In some states, criminal charges could result from such an incident.

It's majorly shady to rip people off, but count me in as being more worried about folks with allergies! People with nut and peanut allergies scare me!

Please, if you have one, when you go out to eat, *tell your server.*

No one's allowed to keel over in my section!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."