• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Bend Area recommendations?

walternewton

I'm going to be making a trip to Big Bend National Park area around Thanksgiving, looking for any advice about restaurants in Marathon, Alpine, Marfa etc. - thanks in advance.

If you're on the Terlingua side, there's a little place called the Starlight Diner on the hill with the ghost town and the general store.

The menu was surprisingly sophisticated and the food surprisingly fresh (given where we were). It's called the 'starlight' because part of the roof is missing and you can see the stars.

The night I was there, they had live jazz. The night before, when I tried to eat there, I found a hand written sign "gone exploring in Mexico, back in 2 days". Your mileage may vary.

You don't say where you're coming from, but try and travel through Marfa. If you haven't been there, it's a real treat. Have some wine at the Marfa Book Company, and meal at Jett's Grill at Hotel Paisano.

AND you can see the Marfa lights, decide for yourself whether Texas was settled by aliens.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to be making a trip to Big Bend National Park area around Thanksgiving, looking for any advice about restaurants in Marathon, Alpine, Marfa etc. - thanks in advance.

It was many years ago, but we had a terrific steak with twice-baked potato at the Gage Hotel in Marathon.

Buen provecho, Panosmex