• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail Order Pastrami - New York City Style

ratgirlny

My husband is always complaining about the quality of the standard pastrami that we buy at the supermarket, saying it is too lean and bland. I want to get him pastrami that is really good for his birthday. Are there any mailorder companies that sell really good quality pastrami? We live just outside NYC, btw, but I don't have time to go into the city to buy anything.

thanks!

I've had Boar's Head brand and liked it a lot.  Maybe a local sandwich deli uses it and you can get a pound or two if you like it.

No, Boar's Head is precisely the kind of overly lean and bland pastrami that he doesn't like. He wants the kind you get at the best deli's in NYC. Maybe I should post this on the New York board?

Well, Katz's (CaliPoutine's suggestion) does actually sell online - you don't have to go into the city to get it. Just scroll down...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Go to a regular deli, ask them to order you a Roman Cut or Flat Pastrami

get a jar of basic dill pickles and pour the juice into a crockpot

cut the pastrami in half and jam into crockpot...set on low for at least 4 hours then get some rye bread

thats what I do anyway

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

There are a few places that might satisfy your husband's craving. Katz's, as feedmec00kies has mentioned above, does mail order. I believe 2nd Avenue deli does as well, and Artie's on the upper west side doesn't do bad pastrami - Artie's website.

But, I'm wondering, since you live just outside of NYC, where you're located and if there isn't some hidden wonder nearby?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In my opinion, the best Pastrami comes from Empire National in Brooklyn (they're the people who supply Second Avenue Deli) and you can read at about them at this link

http://www.savethedeli.com/?p=304

Very sadly (or very frighteningly) the link they give for Empire National's website doesn't go to Empire National's site any more - I sincerely hope that they are not out of business, and I trust that if they are, somebody here will tell me.

But if you can locate them, they're a great source for what is (or maybe "used to be" the best pastrami around).

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

There are a few places that might satisfy your husband's craving. Katz's, as feedmec00kies has mentioned above, does mail order.  I believe 2nd Avenue deli does as well, and Artie's on the upper west side doesn't do bad pastrami - Artie's website.

But,  I'm wondering, since you live just outside of NYC, where you're located and if there isn't some hidden wonder nearby?

We are in southern Westchester. If anyone knows of good pastrami in Westchester, let me know! I don't have time to head into the city to do this. I have 3 kids and a fulltime job. I need a place that does mailorder, the way that Murray's Cheese does.

OK, I just realized that I wasn't reading closely enough. I see that Katz's does do online. Thanks! I'll go with that option. Has anyone heard of a place called Ben's Best. They seem to also do online ordering.

Thanks!

OK, I just realized that I wasn't reading closely enough. I see that Katz's does do online. Thanks! I'll go with that option. Has anyone heard of a place called Ben's Best. They seem to also do online ordering.

Thanks!

Ben's Best on Queens Blvd. in Rego Park has always gotten their pastrami from Empire National which I posted about above - the exact same Pastrami that Second Avenue Deli used to serve.

Of course, if Empire National is gone (refer to my earlier post), which I don't know for sure, then Ben's wouldn't be serving it. But that's the pastrami they have always carried, and though the 2nd Avenue Deli used to claim that it was a "special cure" made just for them, it's the same one that Empire National sells to everyone (or perhaps I mean "sold").

You could ask Ben's if they're still getting the pastrami from Empire National, and if they are, you should be in for a treat.

There's a small regional chain of delis mostly on Long Island called "Ben's" but they're not related to Ben's Best in Rego Park in any way, and I have no idea what pastrami they carry.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

ratgirl - I'm an expatriated New Yorker, living in Cleveland. Cleveland's Mister Brisket makes the best pastrami that I have ever tasted! And - they ship. Call them at 1-877-BRISKET (247-7538), or browse their website.

gallery_21337_6308_33704.jpg

Mister Brisket Pastrami Sandwich

gallery_21337_6308_140960.jpg

gallery_21337_6308_96725.jpg

gallery_21337_6308_25642.jpg

Mr. Brisket BBQ Brisket Sandwich - also delicious

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

• 3 months later...

btw, Langer's sells by the pound via phone or fax, but it's more expensive than Katz's at $20/lb vs $13/lb. However, they do sell their fabulous corn rye as well at $4.75/loaf.

http://www.langersdeli.com/togo/index.html