• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-baking Tartlet Shells --

RuthWells

I would not suggest baking them off before freezing. It has been my experience that the pie shells I attempted to bake and freeze, ended up on the damp side when defrosted. I only freeze unbaked pie shells now.

Is there any way that you can just assemble the tartlet shells in their pans? The restaurant supply store near me stocks inexpensive tartlet shell pans, the aluminum ones like disposable pie pans. Freeze individually, then brush very lightly with flour, line with plastic wrap, then stack the next batch on top. Repeat as necessary. Wrap the entire stack well with plastic. Separate for defrosting.

Another alternative would be to buy them pre-made from Albert Uster. I've tasted their pre-made shells, and they're pretty good. Not home-made, but if I needed to make something in mass quantity, they are the brand I would consider using instead of scratch.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Another alternative would be to buy them pre-made from Albert Uster.  I've tasted their pre-made shells, and they're pretty good.  Not home-made, but if I needed to make something in mass quantity, they are the brand I would consider using instead of scratch.

Perhaps you could bake them now, and store airtight at room temperature or cooler, but not refrigerated or frozen.

Another alternative would be to buy them pre-made from Albert Uster.  I've tasted their pre-made shells, and they're pretty good.  Not home-made, but if I needed to make something in mass quantity, they are the brand I would consider using instead of scratch.

Perhaps you could bake them now, and store airtight at room temperature or cooler, but not refrigerated or frozen.

I would prefer that solution -- I wonder how long they'd keep?!

I use the Tartlet pastry recipe from Sweet Miniatures and it freezes fine for a least a few weeks. If you wanted to be double sure about the crispness you could use PH's sweet tart pastry that has ground almonds in it.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I use the Tartlet pastry recipe from Sweet Miniatures and it freezes fine for a least a few weeks. If you wanted to be double sure about the crispness you could use PH's sweet tart pastry that has ground almonds in it.

I'm only a week away from the event, so may try holding at cool room temp. And I'm using the Sweet Miniatures recipe, too, so thanks for the input!