• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alain Chapel

winemike

I will be driving to Lyon and then Roanne (going to Troisgros, of course :biggrin: ) and have booked Alain Chapel for the night before.

I have never been there but know the wine list is amazing...

Has anyone been recently? How was it? Any particular dish to choose?.. or avoid?

Many thanks for your input in advance.

Cheers

- Michael

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

I was there in August. It is a very, very pleasant house and very simple, very delicious food. I took some pictures and made some comments here: http://picasaweb.google.fr/ZeJulot/Chapel#

The wine list seemed to have some treasure, though I did not have any. Staff was very nice. I did not understand the mignardises or the amuses, and I would stay away from the frogs' dish. But I promised myself I would be back for the stuffed pied de porc. The poulette is simple and flavourful, a very refined dish in its simplicity, I would call it "not charming", but in a good way. I will definitely try to go again next time I am even vaguely in the area. But I would not plan a trip around it. The bar and the lounge in the back are awesome.

Edited by julot-les-pinceaux (log)

Great pictures indeed! Many thanks for those and for the input.

Too bad about the frogs... one would not expect a miss on frogs while so close to the Dombes...

Cheers

- Michael

Francis Blanche

Julot... If there is stuffed pied de porc on the menu, I will not hesitate a millisecond.

I've had an absolutely amazing one from here a couple of months ago... still on the search for the best on the surface of the planet...

Francis Blanche

Went there for dinner three weeks ago - nice as always, best place of it's type in the area. Dinner for two in La salle.

This plus a bottle of a local Rhone for E85:

Pressé de tourteaux et oeufs de saumon sur une gelée de pot-au-feu, de l’aneth.

Petit rouget, cocos de Paimpol et effiloché de canard

dans une soupe de poissons de roche.

Rognonnade de lapin, ails rôtis et oignons fanes.

Une crème glacée de fromage frais au miel amer.

Comme un mille-feuille de fraises à la crème de verveine,

un sorbet au yaourt.

Pour accompagner votre dessert et votre café, mignardises, pralines et friandises.

112 € Taxes et service 13.5% inclus.

And for those who eat frogs: ahem, feel free to eat real food that isn't from the bottom of a creek - the Revolution was over two-hundred and twenty years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I have little time so cannot go in lengthy detail (can answer questions though and will try to post more details later).

We had couple of starters that do not deserve any particular attention, one was a scallop and oyster in a crustace sauce... all nice but somehow disjointed, no harmony in the dish... a letdown. And a potato cake with burgundy truffles which was pretty tasteless though wonderfully presented.

We then had the famous poulette de bresse en vessie which is most definitely a delicious dish. Cooked to perfection, the poutlry was carved just as perfectly and the vegetables, cooked "a l'anglaise" were a perfect companion to the poulette... not to forget the great foie gras cream sauce that went with it all. Simple and delicious is the best description I can find and in that sense, fully agree with Julot. The wine service was very good and the wine list more "interesting" than fantastic.

My global feeling is that Alain Chapel just "froze" at his death and that the place survives on his talent and aura. The setting is beautiful and certainly worth a detour. For once, and though I normally can't care less, I have to agree with the Michelin guide... worth a detour if you pass by but certainly not a trip.

Cheers

- Mike

Francis Blanche