• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macadamia Nut Oil

Shel_B

Recently an acquaintance suggested using Macadamia nut oil in cooking and salad dressings. I've not done so yet, but have been reading about the oil, it's benefits, pros and cons ... from what I can tell, not having tried it - still need a good local source - it may be a nice oil to use in mayonnaise. Has anyone used the oil, either in mayo, in cooking, or on salads? Comments? Any recommended brands or sources?

FWIW, I prefer organic and generally avoid anything in plastic containers.

... Shel

I use macadamia nut oil frequently, primarily due to the sweet and fatty fragrance it has with buttery undertones. It has ~80% monounsaturated fat which gives it somewhat a olive oil quality (~73%). Viscosity is pretty thick and it is strongly odoriferous which probably makes it ideal for salad dressing as has been suggested. I know of some mayonnaise recipes that use macadamia nut oil, while I haven't tried any myself, I would suspect it would have a distinct nuttiness to it.

Personally, I use macadamia nut oil from Hawaii, but I would assume there are a lot of quality brands. I would look for macadamia nut that has a nice yellow transparent tint to it.

I've never used macadamia nut oil, but if it's anything like other nut oils (and like macadamia nuts themselves), it will go rancid relatively quickly, so buy the smallest bottle you can find!

That's good advice. Tks!

... Shel