• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocadoes

SobaAddict70

In a class I took we put slices of avocado underneath a chicken "gypsy" soup with veggies, chicken and sprinked with crushed tortilla chips. Yum! The cool avocado gently cooked when the soup was ladled on and it made for a texture orgy (crunchy chips, smooth soup, soft chicken and refreshing avocado).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Avocados are probably my favorite thing in the whole world (see avatar, left).

My favorite application is smeared on toast topped with thick-sliced pepper bacon. Salty/fatty, creamy/chewy/crunchy. Yee-ha.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

What happened to my avocado? This has happened to me a few times, and always burns me up, as I often pay $2 a piece for these buggers. Is this evidence of freezing or just bruising? Something nastier?

Thanks

tn_gallery_21496_2373_64446.jpg

Edited to add: This is my first posted image. Not sure how to make it larger. But if you can't tell from the pic, the flesh is almost completely gray-black. It also had an almost pithy texture to it.

Edited by bavila (log)

Bridget Avila

My Blog

What happened to my avocado?  This has happened to me a few times, and always burns me up, as I often pay $2 a piece for these buggers.  Is this evidence of freezing or just bruising?  Something nastier?

Thanks

tn_gallery_21496_2373_64446.jpg

Edited to add: This is my first posted image.  Not sure how to make it larger.  But if you can't tell from the pic, the flesh is almost completely gray-black.  It also had an almost pithy texture to it.

Sounds to me like it is just old and overripe. They usually have a rather sickening odor, too.

We went to PA a couple of years ago and were gently chided for using avocado so often in the recipes we posted. Was astounded to see them at $2.00. We are less than 100 miles from the avocado growing area and are getting them for around .75.

I don't think there is any way that I've tasted them that I don't like.

We went to PA a couple of years ago and were gently chided for using avocado so often in the recipes we posted. Was astounded to see them at $2.00. We are less than 100 miles from the avocado growing area and are getting them for around .75.

I don't think there is any way that I've tasted them that I don't like.

Yes, the price is ridiculous. We og to Costa Rica every few years and eat tons of avocado there. We can usually buy a kilo there for what we'd pay for one avocado here. :hmmm:

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I fill my avocadoes with dill and canned tuna in oil for a quick salad... Salt maldon is optional, but nice. A friend of mine serves them with steamed mussels, and the combination is actually quite tasty.

Edited by Mar Calpena (log)

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/