• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocadoes

SobaAddict70

I use avocado frequently (salads, sandwiches, etc). But the most amazing application of avocado I have had to date was an 'avocado pie' from a restaurant on the island of Cozumel. Very creamy texture, great avocado flavor melded with lime tang.

My wife tried to replicate it once when we had a boatload of avocados show up from friends in California. Didn't get the texture right at all.

Hmmmm...I wonder if they would send me their recipe?

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

A friend of mine makes a great avocado salad -- main ingredients are avocado slices, orange sections, red onion. It creates an incredible combination of flavors, I love it, it really zings! on your palate. She puts different things in it each time, but those are the three constants.

God I love avocados. :wub: They're the only food that I absolutely crave on a regular basis. They usually don't make it past being skinned and sliced at my house, but if they do, I put them on sandwiches (love them on turkey burgers), in salads, and in sushi rolls.

Edited by lesfen (log)

I make an avocado and black bean salad with red onions and tomatoes a little cilantro. I dress it with Cumin and Roasted Garlic Mayo.

Also entered a recipe contest once with a savory roasted chile chiffon cake with avocado icing. :shock: Even I have to admitt that this was not a great idea.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

A dessert in Brasil that I loved as a kid there was "Creme de Abacate". Basically, Avocado pureed with lime juice and sugar, served in a stemmed glass.

Sounds crazy, but avocados were the size of your head down there, and resemble the lighter flavour of the Florida variety, so it definitely worked.

Different, eh? :cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

besides my favorite sandwich "spread", i.e. crumbled crisp bacon mashed into ripe avocado with a little onion,

I make Avocado Ice Cream: Thusly

1 can evaporated milk very cold. (14 1/2 oz) NOT sweetened condensed milk.

1/2 cup Orange juice, strained to remove pulp

1/2 cup Lemon juice, ditto!

1 cup Mashed ripe Haas avocados - use the others if you must but they have to be very ripe and free of any fibers.

1 1/2 cup Sugar or Splenda.

pinch of salt.

The best way to do this is to pour the evap. milk in a metal bowl (chills faster) and put in in the coldest part of the fridge or even in the freezer for a few minutes.

Meanwhile assemble the rest of the ingredients.

Using a wire whip or wire beater on mixer, beat the milk until it looks sort of like whipped cream and has doubled in bulk, approximately...

Add the juices and the avocado, continue beating until creamy then add the sugar and salt while continuing to beat.

Be sure it is well blended, no lumps of avocado.

You can freeze this in an ice cream freezer OR you can treat it like a granita, put in a container in the freezer and take it out every half hour to stir and rake it to break up any ice crystals.

An ice cream freezer is easier.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My favourite breakfast, lunch, or sometimes dinner, is sourdough wholeish grain bread, like a pain levain, or a wheatberry/granary bread.

Toasted crisp. cooled somewhat so that the butter spread onto it does not melt.

Then i top it with thick slices of avocado, squeeze a ton of lemon on top, and sprinkle it with coarse salt. I can either top it with a couple of green onions and eat it like this, or eat the green onion on the side, bite for bite with the avocado toast.

A favourite favourite food!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Same theme - when I lived in Santa Cruz, CA, there was the notorious Capitola Avocado Pie - basically a "key" lime pie with the addition of an avocado. I know I have the recipe at home. These were a huge sale item at the annual Arts and Crafts Fair.

Chicken and avocado enchiladas. The creaminess of the avocado helps balance the salsa molido.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Well it's not cooking but my trainer comes over with a whole kit of treatments that she makes

for application from head to toe. She starts with the scalp and uses avocado and macadamia nut

oil because the vitamins A,B,D,&E are beneficial for moisturizing. She applies this to the entire scalp

and all of the hair to nourish and soothe the cuticle of each individual strand, she puts a shower cap

on to hold the warmth as we do this outside next to the pool. Her other recipes are magic and

your entire body feels just awesome after. A hui ho...........

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

At the newly-opened Green Zebra, here in Chicago, I just had a fabulous dish...Avocado Panna Cotta, served with tomato gelee, creme fraiche and sweet corn chips.

It was just fantastic, although I only have an inkling of how to make it :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Definitely more than guacamole. Besides all the salad, salsa, etc. ideas given already, I love them with just lemon, salt and pepper. Sometimes I half them lengthwise, take the seed out, and eat it like that from the shell with a spoon. Yum!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This is my favorite, it works with most fish and chicken. The avocado butter can be piped for an elegant presentation. It freezes well and will last in the fridge for about a month.

8 swordfish steaks

Lemon or lime wedges and chopped parsley for garnish

Marinade

1/3 cup soy sauce

1 tsp. lemon zest

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 clove garlic

2 tsps. Dijon mustard

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Wisk together all marinade ingredients. Place fish in shallow glass or porcelain baking dish and pour on the marinade, piercing the fish with a fork to assure penetration. Turn fish and pierce it again. Marinate covered in fridge for 1 hour, up to 6 if necessary.

Grill the fish over hot fire or under broiler for 5-6 min. on each side, brushing the fish often with the marinade. Figure 10 min. total cooking time for each inch of thickness of the fish steaks. Serve the fish garnished with lemon or lime wedges, chopped parsley and topped with Avocado Butter. (below)

Avocado Butter

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup ripe mashed avocado

5 tbls. fresh lemon or lime juice

2 tbls. chopped fresh parsley

2 cloves garlic, minced

Salt, to taste

Whip the butter in a small mixing bowl until it is soft and creamy. Beat in the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate the butter until ready to serve. (For fancy presentation, I pipe the butter on the fish just before serving.)

From Piret's, George and Piret Munger, 1985

• 6 months later...

Thanks goodness for this thread! We just got a delivery of a gift of *20* avocadoes. For real! Unfortuantely we're going out of town for the weekend, but come Monday I'll be trying some of these suggestions. My husband is Chilean and is an avocado (palta) freak, and in agreement with Papaya's post, avocadoes spread on fresh bread is the best breakfast around.

Any other ideas of what to do with, and how to store, 20 avocadoes? I'm afraid they'll ripen too quickly, and they don't take well to the fridge. Can you slice 'em and freeze 'em a la Trader Joe's?

I had a friend who spent a lot of time in Brazil, and she gave me a great avocado recipe, which is a variation on some that were posted earlier. I've lost the actual recipe, but this can be done to taste very easily.

Whiz about 4 good sized, very ripe avocados in a blender. Add sugar; I think it was around 1/4 cup. Also add regular milk until you get a nice pudding-y texture, then add a couple of tablespoons of port wine. Spoon into cups and serve with a lime wedge and squeeze the juice onto the pudding as you eat.

My personal favorite is avocado slices on a BLT. Hurry, spring.

what great ideas, esp for sweeter dishes...

inspiring.

until now my humble best (other than guac)

had been to put slices into sandwiches or

chunks into salsa

or

puree along with other ingredients to really

raise gazpacho one more level of sublime....

milagai

I love this recipe inspired by Jamison and Jamison in their book, A Real American Breakfast; it's a Brown Butter Scramble with Avocado. (Great book by the way).

Mix eggs with some cream or half and half, minced roasted garlic, a dash of hot sauce and s&p. Cook some butter until nutty brown (~ 5 min), cook eggs until soft curds form (do NOT overcook). Quickly fold in bite size pieces of avocado and remove from heat. Eat with or on good toast.

This is absolutely, voluptuously, luscious.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I made a great dish a few years ago that uses avocado in an unusual way. It's scallopine of veal, napped with a truffle cream sauce and then topped with thin cold slices of avocado. I think I got the idea from an issue of Saveur. Very tasty.

--