• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocadoes

SobaAddict70

Any ideas? Uruapan is known as the "Avacado capital of the world."

yep. every time we have travelled in mexico my husband and i have made a side trip into the state of michoacan--uruapan is a fairly large city, with an interesting botanical park, in michoacan--but i have always been told the whole state is involved in the avocado production.

the aztecs supposedly followed large heavy meals of pork and other meats with a ripe raw avocado--they beliveed that the avocado aided digestion, i think, and as it turns out the avocado does have beneficial monounsaturated fat.

a ripe avocado just picked from a huge avocado tree bears little resemblance to the mealy, tasteless fruits often available here in the states. when i'm in mexico i ask my waiter to bring me a sliced, plain raw avocado with every meal--they always have one available, and i love it with just about everything.

A friend made this as part of my birthday dinner recently. Equal amounts of avocados and ruby red grapefruit. Cut the avocados in bite-sized chunks and supreme the grapefruit. Toss in a bowl with shaved fennel and a champagne vinaigrette. An old idea but with no bibb lettuce or bottled dressing to interfere (that's how my mom used to do it).

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

a ripe avocado just picked from a huge avocado tree bears little resemblance to the mealy, tasteless fruits often available here in the states.

Aren't avocados one of the fruits that won't ripen on the tree? I know I've read that somewhere; anyone know if that's correct?

a ripe avocado just picked from a huge avocado tree bears little resemblance to the mealy, tasteless fruits often available here in the states.

Aren't avocados one of the fruits that won't ripen on the tree? I know I've read that somewhere; anyone know if that's correct?

When I lived in Panama, we had five avocado trees in our yard. The avocados would "hold" on the tree indefinitely. They wouldn't completely ripen while on the tree.

Depending on when you picked the avocados (early or late in the season), they took from 2-7 days to soften after being picked.

So, they certainly could have been picked on, say, a Thursday and very easily sliced up for StellaBella's lunch on Saturday.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I made a crab and avocado salad yesterday by dicing the avocado flesh, squeezing over lemon juice, then adding the crab meat, some chopped fresh tomatos, spring onions, flat leaf parsley, cayenne pepper, salt and mayo. I served this on a bed of watercress which sat on some cucumber, deseeded, sliced and made into a poncy cheffy style "crown" on the plate. I dressed the cress and cue with olive oil and sherry vinegar. I also confess that I formed the salad into a hockey puck with a ring mould so it looked neat when I sat it on the greens. And I drizzled round some EVOO. Sad I know. Tasted great though.

Suvir, There's a Costco in LIC, a mile or so from the 59th Street bridge, on the water. I have a card until November, if you ever want to go out there.

I suck at Costco. I usually go to the cashier with two or three items. People think I'm a freak. (Note to self - Eat more Reeces)...

I did not know avocados became mealy.

By the way, my favorite is avocado slices on whole grain with mustard and mayonaise (on the bread), cheddar, under the broiler, with tomato and maybe thin slices of onion. Sprouts if I'm in Cali.

Edited by elyse (log)

Why is it that only Haas and Florida avocados are readily available in the market when there are about a hundred other avocado varieties.  One I've been looking for is called "Fuertes" I think.  Any info on purveyers of the more unusual types of this fruit?

Where do you live, nervousnelli? Here in central California, I'm lucky enough to get a number of varieties in season, especially if I shop at our local farmers' markets. One vendor in particular has the Fuertes you speak of, as well as Haas, the big and buttery Reeds, and my personal favorite, Gwens.

This thread has me drooling copiously all over my keyboard . . .

Avocadoes also go nice when cut into slices and floated into some chicken soup with some cilantro -- I've had chicken soup served that way at Mexican restaurants.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So, they certainly could have been picked on, say, a Thursday and very easily sliced up for StellaBella's lunch on Saturday.

i may have been high on LUV but i swear that on my honeymoon in guatemala my husband and i sat underneath an avocado tree on lake atitlan and the avocados were falling off around us and they were ripe. but, like i say, i could have been high.

i may have been high on LUV but i swear that on my honeymoon in guatemala my husband and i sat underneath an avocado tree on lake atitlan and the avocados were falling off around us and they were ripe. but, like i say, i could have been high.

Or maybe that first one conked you on your pretty little head.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...

One of my favorites: a kind of chunky, mango-avocado salsa. Cubed avocado, ripe mango, tomato and red onion, mixed with lime juice, salt, cilantro and sometimes jalapeno.

While staying in the Chilean countryside, I often had fresh buttered rolls with mashed avocado and sliced smoked turkey for breakfast, which is undoubtedly the best breakfast I've ever had. The avocadoes in Chile (called paltas) were different from what I've often had here in the US - not as oily-tasting. They were really creamy and fresh though. Yum.

One of my favorites: a kind of chunky, mango-avocado salsa. Cubed avocado, ripe mango, tomato and red onion, mixed with lime juice, salt, cilantro and sometimes jalapeno.

While staying in the Chilean countryside, I often had fresh buttered rolls with mashed avocado and sliced smoked turkey for breakfast, which is undoubtedly the best breakfast I've ever had. The avocadoes in Chile (called paltas) were different from what I've often had here in the US - not as oily-tasting. They were really creamy and fresh though. Yum.

MMMmmm, I want some of that, a margarita, and a plane ticket out of this horrible land of snow!

Melissa

It is really comforting to see all of these wonderful avacado reciepes. I adore their vegetal fatty taste, which lends it's rich texture to sweet, salty,and acidic dishes. I think that is the avacados real strength: being a nuetral base for these pure flavors. Also the contrast of richness and a crunchy foil is quite nice - think mille-feuille, puff pastry, sesame and poppy seeds;

One word of advice: Avoid cooking them at a high heat. It was a slow night on the line, a couple of years ago. I decided to make avacado fries. A few batches of tests revealed that avacados gain a very harsh plasticky (?) taste when fried. Maybe I need to refine my technique- at least one person has triumphed with an avacado pie.

I remember having an avocado 'shake' in Indonesia over 20 years ago... but mostly I'm a Californian who eats avocados at every opportunity. One use not yet mentioned is slices of avocado at the bottom of 'tortilla soup', a Mexican spicy chicken soup with tortilla strips.

-chardgirl

Mixed greens & herbs, blood orange sections, seared scallops, avocado, sea salt, balsamic. . . mmmmmmmmmdelicious.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I remember having an avocado 'shake' in Indonesia over 20 years ago... but mostly I'm a Californian who eats avocados at every opportunity. One use not yet mentioned is slices of avocado at the bottom of 'tortilla soup', a Mexican spicy chicken soup with tortilla strips.

-chardgirl

Yes. And as a garnish atop a spicy Mexican seafood cocktail.

Sophie Grigson's brilliant suggestion is to mash a ripe avocado into fresh hummus.

Awesome, especially the way I had it last week:

Extra garlic in the hummus.

Freshly baked pita bread.

Grilled lamb or sable (black cod).

Fresh mint and coriander (cilantro).

Shaved red onion optional.

Not for the faint of heart.

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

I'm researching an article about avocados, and would love to hear what you do with avocados beyond guacamole. If any chefs are reading this, I'm especially interested in anything you serve to your customers that is unexpected, and how they react to the unusual dishes.

In the unusual food pairings thread, I posted about the snack I had at the IACP conference, at the avocado booth: a chunk of avocado, rolled in corn nuts and draped in white cotton candy. It was unbelievable!

In my research, I've come across avocado pie, and some other intriguing combinations. I want to hear more!!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I love avocados. :wub: Other than the obvious Mexican dishes, I use them in salads all the time. They are a fabulous addition to many sandwiches, especially a blt. An avocado vinaigrette goes well with grilled salmon, especially chili spiced salmon. I've done an avocado, corn & onion based salsa and served it with pork.

They are also a nice garnish/addition to a shrimp ceviche or salad.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

During my childhood in South Africa, 1950s-60s, we used to make a dish called Avocado Ritz - basically half an avocado in its skin, with the cavity filled with shrimp salad - as an appetizer. You can find one version of it here

http://www.rainbownation.com/recipes/recipe.asp?type=1&id=1

I do exactly this with chicken salad all the time, when I'm making lunch for myself. I'll have to try it with shrimp. Sounds delicious.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Make a BLT but instead of lettuce, add slices of avocado. It is superb.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver