• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday lunch in London

PhilD

I am trying to decide on a suitable venue for a birthday meal with my family including my father who is in his '80's.

Earlier this year we went to Claridges and enjoyed the Sunday lunch set menu at £33 (I think). Overall excellent value for the service and venue, and quite good value for the food. So it ticked all the boxes for a good value treat.

We are looking for something similar. Good value food, coupled with grandeur and style.

What would you recommend?

Edited by PhilD (log)

If you can bear heading a bit west the Belvedere in Holland Park is a beautiful room with a nice set menu lunch (last time I checked it was three courses for £24.95)

It's always very popular though so be sure to book - lunch slots are at 12pm and 2:30 as I recall!

Elizabeth, AKA Izabel_blue

The Bombay Brasserie lunch buffet is very suitable for the elderly, I find.

It's bog standard Indian in a dated setting, though.

I thought they were doing it up? Biggest PITA is the way they play on all the zelebs turning up there. Unfortunately it's true. Woody Allen was there last time I went for Sunday Lunch with his nanny or wife or daughter or something.

H

• 3 weeks later...

I thought they were doing it up? Biggest PITA is the way they play on all the zelebs turning up there. Unfortunately it's true. Woody Allen was there last time I went for Sunday Lunch with his nanny or wife or daughter or something.

H

You mean the Bombay Brasserie in South Kensington? Why on earth would any celeb go there ? The place is ghastly !!!! I live 2 minutes away, and ate there once -- Masala Zone food at Cinnamon Club prices. I do wonder what the refurbishment will entail.

H

You mean the Bombay Brasserie in South Kensington? Why on earth would any celeb go there ? The place is ghastly !!!! I live 2 minutes away, and ate there once -- Masala Zone food at Cinnamon Club prices. I do wonder what the refurbishment will entail.

I happened to park up by there on Saturday on my way to Waitrose, and it's still well and truly under rennovation. I'm surprised you didn't realise it's a zeleb joint - they really play on it.

Historcally, I actually liked it. I believe my tastes may have changed since then though...

H

H

I happened to park up by there on Saturday on my way to Waitrose, and it's still well and truly under rennovation. I'm surprised you didn't realise it's a zeleb joint - they really play on it.

Historcally, I actually liked it. I believe my tastes may have changed since then though...

H

I take the tube at Gloucester Road station everyday, and the elevator had an advertisement for the nearby "Light of India" which boasts of it's recommendation by the "American Airlines crew, circa 2003." I always have a good laugh when I read it -- though I haven't seen many stewardesses around, unfortunately.

I take the tube at Gloucester Road station everyday, and the elevator had an advertisement for the nearby "Light of India" which boasts of it's recommendation by the "American Airlines crew, circa 2003."  I always have a good laugh when I read it -- though I haven't seen many stewardesses around, unfortunately.

Well if you travel East then we probably share a carriage quite often as I get on at South Ken unless, like today, when the weather's nice when I take a push bike.

The Millenium Hotel almost adjacent puts up quite a lot of crew. I'm not sure I'd want to be self loading freight the next morning if the crew had been frequenting the Light of India the night before ;-)

H

Foliage at The Mandarin on Hyde Park.

Very good food, a splendid view over the park, super-nice staff and amazing value at £27 (last time I looked). Watch out for the expensive glasses of champagne they try and foist on you at the start, though.

Sarah

Thank you to everyone for the recomendations. We chose Foliage and really enjoyed the meal - see comments on the Foliage thread.

Howard - we are saving The Capitol for a romatic meal for two - it looks so nice.

Also looking forward to the Bombay Brasserie reopening - we had a trip down memory lane before it closed and to my surprise the food was very good. It was tatty, but the refurb should fix this. I hear the Taj Group is going to import some of their top Indian team to re-launch the food.

Howard - we are saving The Capitol for a romatic meal for two - it looks so nice.

Setting food aside, romantic is not a word I would use to describe the Capital, more akin to a nice corridor with table and chairs :hmmm:

Ah, but the chairs are brand new as of about three weeks ago, I'll have you know, and fit enough for a latter day Philip Larkin. "I work all day, and get half-drunk at night". Apparently. :cool:

H