• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled fish

Hard H2O

Here is a recipe that always turns out great. On Monday I brought 2 quarts to work and set them up in the break room at morning break. They were both gone in no time.

Three 2 or 3 pound pike yielded 2 quarts and 1 pint jar. I ate the pint myself.

It takes two weeks and four days from start to end so plan accordingly.

For the batch I did I needed two batches of brine.

Pickled Fish

Cut fish into bite size pieces

1. Cover fish with solution of 1 cup pickling salt to 1 quart water. Let stand in fridge for 48 hours. No longer.

2. Drain. Cover with white vinegar. Let stand in fridge for 48 hours. No longer.

3. Drain. Layer alternately fish and sliced onion. Cover with brine. Let stand in fridge 2 weeks.

Brine: 2 cups white vinegar

1 ½ cups sugar

1 tsp whole peppercorns

1 tsp allspice

1 tsp whole cloves

2 tsp mustard seed

4 bay leaves

I have had it done with sunfish, bass, pike and walleye.

Pickling anything tends to make it good.  I support it.  Maybe I'll try it.

...Although I do have a question- why brine it for 2 weeks?  Seems a bit excessive...

When pickling I tend to not fool with recipes. I know this is a cold pickle and is not meant for long term storage but it works.

Besides, it is my mother's recipe. I will not sully my late mother's name by implying that there is something wrong with her recipe.

I'm not implying anything is wrong with it.  I guess I'm really asking whether the flavor would be the same or similar with a shorter brine time.

I do not know if more or less time would affect the taste. I do know that it tastes great. It would be interesting to test but I a bit leary.

I'm not implying anything is wrong with it.  I guess I'm really asking whether the flavor would be the same or similar with a shorter brine time.

I do not know if more or less time would affect the taste. I do know that it tastes great. It would be interesting to test but I a bit leary.

I love pickled fish, herring's my fave.

The recipe above calls for a 2 day salt and water cure, followed by a 2 week acid/spice bath. The "brine" has no salt, so maybe it's not the best word.

In my experience with herring and mackerel, it all depends on how big the fish chunks are cut. I'll bet the pike will taste pretty good after a week or even less as long as the mix has penetrated.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

A different tack on pickling fish is a quick pickle AFTER the fish as been cooked. Basically, pan-fry the fish (I've used fresh and salt mackeral filets, headed-but-bone-in fresh herring, etc.), then layer in a dish, top with sliced onions. I then mix vinegar and water with a little sugar and whatever whole spices suit my fancy (allspice works, among many others). Let it sit in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next day. This is a pickle for flavor, not long-term storage; eat within a day or two.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

When I was 5 or 6 I used to LOVE pickled herring. I mean, if you gave me the choice between it and candy, I'd take the herring. I got really sick off it once and haven't been able to enjoy it since. If I remember correctly, I think I was sick all over my uncle... I don't think he eats it anymore either...