• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

oysters and steak

need to entertain someone in London and they have requested Oysters and Steak, any suggestions  - they won't eat in  a Ramsay joint!!

Assuming you don't mean on the same plate :raz: : Etranger, Gloucester Road sprang to mind first. The Charolais is great, and they'll do you a Wagyu too.

H

need to entertain someone in London and they have requested Oysters and Steak, any suggestions  - they won't eat in  a Ramsay joint!!

Assuming you don't mean on the same plate :raz: : Etranger, Gloucester Road sprang to mind first. The Charolais is great, and they'll do you a Wagyu too.

H

Why on earth make that assumption? ??? :huh:

"Steak and Oyster Pie" is a true classic of English cooking.

There were some good steaks, which came to the table naked, just so we could abuse them before they were burnt. And the star dish, a steak and oyster pie, was worth the trip on its own. 
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle3908077.ece

AA Gill reviewing Hix Oyster & Chop House, which might be just the ticket...

... though I'm not too sure about a review that barely gets half way through before saying -

So, that’s enough about me. Let’s talk about what Mark Hix thinks about me.

Many a true word, if not spoken in jest, is written in irony.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Why on earth make that assumption? ??? :huh:

Many a true word, if not spoken in jest, is written in irony.

LOL! Crikey, I think I'm allowed to indicate my axioms without fear of too much retribuition aren't I? Glad I did now, or I could have been accused of an awful misdirection! :laugh:

Edited by howardlong (log)

...  Hix Oyster & Chop House, which might be just the ticket...

Mark hix's Oyster and chop house/ scotts/ st john

I knew there was a thread here somewhere... http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=115056

PS and scotts http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=98967

and of course http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=22732

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

has anyone eaten at bordeaux?

yes, several times, very good deals in the week, very reasonable prices including wine, starters and mains definatly the stronger aspects, pastry a little weak

well worth a visit, it has never been too busy when i have been,

my only gripe would be that the service is a trying to be a little stuffy and a bit pushy compared to the rustic regional cuisine, overall i love the place, try the terrines and charcuterie for two!

I've been a couple of times as well - once with Andy when it first opened and had a stupidly long menu and once a couple of weeks back for dinner. The food is very pleasant and as Simon says reasonably priced. I have never seen more than a handful of people there so worry about how long it can survive. Whilst the menu has been shortened, last time I went I thought it was still too long.

Service is good although almost too attentive - they all seem so bloody happy just to be serving someone! Ollie has added a nice touch to the very pleasant bread and butter by adding a lovely pork rillette (I think it is pork, but my memoy could be playing tricks!) and cornichons. All in all well worth a visit!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?