• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Food Network Star, Season 5

jumanggy

Today I received an e-mail from the casting associate of The Food Network. They're starting the casting process for the upcoming season of TNFNS. You can go to http://www.foodnetwork.com/star and upload a video/application or mail it (received by October 31) in DVD or mini-DVD format to their offices.

Alternatively, they also have open casting calls:

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:

* Cooking Know-How: You can be self-taught or professionally trained or somewhere in between, BUT YOU MUST HAVE FOOD KNOWLEDGE!!

* Personality that Pops: Do people often tell you that you have the charisma and personality to have your own cooking show?

* Teaching Skills: Do you teach at culinary school or maybe a cooking class and want to bring those teaching skills to the next level? Do you have a clear point of view on food and want to teach America about it?

****One winner will receive his or her own six-episode show!!

(snipped part about the online application, see above)

ATTEND AN OPEN CALL- Please bring your filled out application to the open call events.

Washington DC- Friday, October 3rd, 2008- 10am-3pm

The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of Washington

1820 North Fort Myer Drive Arlington, VA 22209

New York, NY- Monday, October 6th, 2008- 11am-3pm

Sutton Place Restaurant and Bar

1015 Second Ave. (btw. 53rd and 54th) New York, NY 10022

Los Angeles, CA- Wednesday October 15th, 2008 10am-3pm

Art Institute of California- Los Angeles

2900 31st Santa Monica, CA 90405- 3035

Charleston, SC- Thursday October 23rd, 2008 10am-3pm

The Art Institute of Charleston

24 North Market Street Charleston, SC 29401-2623

Portland, OR- Thursday October 23rd, 2008- 10am-3pm

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront

1401 SW Naito Parkway Portland, OR 97201

Philadelphia, PA- Wednesday October 29th, 2008 10am-3pm

Embassy Suites Center City Philadelphia

1776 Benjamin Franklin Parkway Philadelphia, PA 19107

Anyway, I am totally not eligible for this (though I suppose if I really wanted to, I could try anyway), but the thought of someone knowledgeable and from eG really excited me :smile:

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

i will confess to having sent a demo tape to the first season's casting team. after seeing how the contest has devolved, i wonder how they get anyone to apply, let alone sign a contract....

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Honestly, who the hell cares anymore? Their show is terrible, and they just keep trying to force feed us BS shows. What ever happend to the second and third season winners? The only one that ever became of anything is Guy. Which is a total toolbag.

Stop supporting this network. All they care about now is how much product placement and Rachel Ray shit they can put out. They dont care about the food aspect anymore. They just want $$$.

Watch good shows like Top Chef instead. Watch the PBS shows instead. Just stop supporting this horrid network that has become a cash cow. BTW What ever happend to Mike Symon on Iron Chef? Exactly, Food Network has tarnished the good name of Iron Chef of the old. Morimoto is the ONLY thing keeping that show alive. Cat Cora- sucks Mario Battalli-good Mike Symon-sucks Bobby Flay-okay

They dont even have the right format that original Iron Chef once had. Chefs that cooked their own style of catagories. French Chineese Japaneese Itialian.

• 4 weeks later...
can you post the tape so we can see it?

Wish I could at the moment - I had to sent in a mini DV tape since I couldn't find the cord to connect the camcorder to the computer to upload. But - if I can find the cord, I still have the original tape - so I'll post then! :biggrin:

• 7 months later...
I happened to see the first episode (?) while traveling last week and saw the one lady lie about something, get busted, and still be allowed to continue.  Not really interested in seeing any more.

Eh that's about par for the course, I mean look at Robert Irvine - he lied and still has a job! Why not continue the trend right?

Is anyone watching this season?

I am but it's been pretty bland and boring so far. Most of the contestants are pretty mainstream. No one is outrageous, even the requisite gay guy is entertainingly cliche. And this batch seems to have better cooking ability.

Gotta agree with gfron1, very disappointed that they kept the woman who screwed up her team leadership role and then lied about it. Very not cool, and the selection committee keeps saying how wonderful this woman is....NOT.

The oldest competitor is a very charming, cool cucumber who can actually cook. Think he's got a decent chance of making the final if not winning the thing.

So far it's been kind of a snore. :sad:

I am but it's been pretty bland and boring so far. Most of the contestants are pretty mainstream. No one is outrageous, even the requisite gay guy is entertainingly cliche. And this batch seems to have better cooking ability.

Gotta agree with gfron1, very disappointed that they kept the woman who screwed up her team leadership role and then lied about it. Very not cool, and the selection committee keeps saying how wonderful this woman is....NOT.

The oldest competitor is a very charming, cool cucumber who can actually cook. Think he's got a decent chance of making the final if not winning the thing.

Well, I think at least this year the quality of the contestants its a bit better. I like the competitor you are referring to,the older one. They did let that one liar get away with it, but last week the guy that tried to throw the housewife under the bus got sent home. All he did was help her plate and made it sound like he cooked the food for her. Also, being judged by Bobby Flay and Giada.........good grief. But I find it entertaining. Certainly not the caliber of top chef!!! (Of course, notice I don't know any of their names!)

Edited by GwennP (log)

As I recall, she told several lies including trying to shift the blame to her team for their "dessert" choice for the 16th anniversary of Food Network dinner. It was her suggestion to use store-bought angel food cake (shades of Semi-Homemade/Sandra Lee :blink:), cut it into squares, dot it with jam, and sprinkle some mint leaves over it. It was hideous. Not until she was cornered did she admit it was her idea. She also managed to "forget" to purchase key ingredients for her other teammates dishes :hmmm: which I found suspect. Might be fun to watch and see what she'll try to get away with next.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

As I recall, she told several lies including trying to shift the blame to her team for their "dessert" choice for the 16th anniversary of Food Network dinner. It was her suggestion to use store-bought angel food cake (shades of Semi-Homemade/Sandra Lee :blink:), cut it into squares, dot it with jam, and sprinkle some mint leaves over it. It was hideous. Not until she was cornered did she admit it was her idea. She also managed to "forget" to purchase key ingredients for her other teammates dishes :hmmm: which I found suspect. Might be fun to watch and see what she'll try to get away with next.

I was appalled when she tried to say the dessert was a team decision...NOT. She made it on the fly in the middle of Whole Foods. I also didn't like that during their actual production time that night, she blatantly ignored her teammates when they asked for direction on what to do with the angle food cake. Doesn't make me trust her very much. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time in commercial kitchens. If I tried that with any of my staff (or they with me for that matter) they'd have me for lunch.

And the whole fiasco in Whole Foods rubbed me the wrong way. She had no organizational skills, a complete lack of understanding as to what the team plan was, and leaving behind key ingredients needed by other team members smacked of either too much "me first" or sabotage. In either case, just not good or fair.

And they like her, they really like her. Time will tell...

Well, she's certainly not my favorite, and I doubt I'd watch one of her shows, but at least the judging panel had the great good sense to launch that over-aged-frat-boy-Guy-Fieri-wannabe-Neanderthal Brett this week.

He got on my last nerve before the cooking even started with his line about "why don't you girls (emphasis mine......errrrrrrrr :angry: ) finish unpacking and talk about lipstick or something" in the first 5 minutes of the first episode.

WHAT A FRIGGING TOOL. He didn't win any more points with his behavior this week, and if they hadn't launched his sorry butt this week, I would've sworn off FN (even Ina !) forever.

At this point I really like the older guy and Jamieka (who's name I'm sure I just horribly mis-spelled.....sorry). I would absolutely watch a show that either of them were in. And I agree with Reignking, they have MUCH better presence (Guy Fieri Jr. excepted.......) coming in.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Yeah, the buzzword this season appears to be integrity. Heh. :rolleyes:

And the crying has already started.

But I can't help but watch. It cracks me up. That Brett guy was the first ringer exposed, the next should rear its head full force.

I like Jamika, she is camera friendly and poised. But, collard and cornbread is inspired? Not even black eyed peas too? Sorry, but that was lame to garner such high praise.

Just waiting for it to pop up "recent posts"...

They could've eliminated a few last night -- both guys. I'm glad they kicked off the obnoxious idiot who said "that was a Paula Deen" recipe. Duh. And did he even taste the food? Had he, he could've eliminated some of the onions, easily.

And health girl is still just as awful. In her short bit with Tyler, she said something about not spending money on proteins, but on beans, instead. Might want to check the label on those beans...

I thought it ironic that Tyler Florence reamed the woman (Jamika?) who suggested boiling the used marinade for a sauce to save money. Two weeks ago I saw Anne Burrell suggest exactly the same thing on Secrets of a Restaurant Chef on FN.

I thought it ironic that Tyler Florence reamed the woman (Jamika?) who suggested boiling the used marinade for a sauce to save money. Two weeks ago I saw Anne Burrell suggest exactly the same thing on Secrets of a Restaurant Chef on FN.

I've made a fantastic beef kabobs w/ peanut sauce from the Weber grilling cookbook that combines the (boiled) marinade with peanut butter.

But that is with beef -- I wouldn't do that with anything else.

Hmm, I boil off marinade all the time, why not? Though I use it for glazing rather than saucing.

I was looking for bigger fireworks between Debbie and Eddie. Both have done some bad things, based on what we have seen. Remember, she bought the angel food cake and made others use it for a dessert and claimed it was a group decision. This time, she foisted off the pudding and kept herself out of the dessert failure. I'm sure topping it with pine nuts would have done the trick! I don't trust either of them. I want to see her forced to make dessert - I think it is her achilles heel.

Hmm, I boil off marinade all the time, why not? Though I use it for glazing rather than saucing.

I was looking for bigger fireworks between Debbie and Eddie. Both have done some bad things, based on what we have seen. Remember, she bought the angel food cake and made others use it for a dessert and claimed it was a group decision. This time, she foisted off the pudding and kept herself out of the dessert failure. I'm sure topping it with pine nuts would have done the trick! I don't trust either of them. I want to see her forced to make dessert - I think it is her achilles heel.

I couldn't believe she was going on about her partner's integrity....geesh! I also don't see what is wrong with boiling a marinade and using it, especially if it's not poultry - that I can see more. I still don't know the contestant's names!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm embaressed to say I'm still watching this. Caught just the last 15 minutes of last nights episode--just enuf to see Debbie lying AGAIN and the judges called her on it too, but yet here she still is in the running. Is that network just wanting to lose every bit of integrity? Every year I watch less and less of this channel and actions like this are not helping.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman