• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich Pawlak

Report: 5th Annual NJ Hot Dog Tour

15 posts in this topic

I gotta say, this was a fantastic, extremely well planned, timed and organized tour, with not a weak dog in the bunch, from Dee's Truck (my personal favorite of the day), to Galloping Hill (who COMPED EVERY PERSON ON THE TOUR A HOT DOG AND DRINK to start off the Tour--that is amazing generosity, and evidence of the high regard in which our tour organizers, John Fox and Benzee were held), to The Windmill, to Jimmy Buff's to Manny's to Bubba's, each and every place was unique in its own way, and each place was distinctively great in their own way, a tremendous achievement by the thoughtful planners of this tour.

The Galloping Hill dog, a custom dog on a custom bun, I enjoyed with mustard and hot relish, and it was dazzling. But nothing, to me, topped the fresh snap of the natural casing Sabrett dog at Dee's, served on a equally fresh bun, simply perfection. The Windmill was also quite good, nicely grilled footlong dog with very good chili, mustard and onions. Manny's is my current favorite chili dog, with a chili sauce that has hints of nutmeg and cinnamon--I thought I was in a Cincinnati chili parlor!---and a nicely grilled dog. Great service staff also, I must say. JImmy Buff's in East Hanover was the best version of the Italian hot dog that I've had in along while, just well sauteed onions, peppers and potatoes, great pizza bread and a very good tasty dog. But Bubba's was also great in its way; I had parts of a plain dog with mustard and relish, as well as a chili dog, and they were both superb. KIller fresh cut fries at Bubba's, too.

But in the end, its the people on a tour that you enjoy the most, and I've gotta say that this tour had some of the NICEST people you'd ever hope to meet; enthusiastic, eccentric, colorful and best of all, funny.

Truly a great day of fun in the hot dog subculture of New Jersey. I hope I can make it every year from now on.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Rich,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the Tour and I hope to see you every year. In fact, we are planning some smaller get togethers. I'll keep you updated. We're looking to make a trip to Charlies Pool Room, a unique and fun place, as well as a trip including Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook, Middlesex Texas Weiners in Middlesex, and possibly Lutz's Pork Store in Union. Last year we got Charlies to open for us exclusively.

You're right in stating that every place was unique in it's own way. I love reading the opinions of people who have attended because they are so varied as far as what type of chili they liked, what kind of dog (all beef or beef and pork), and the other toppings as well as methods of preparation. Although everyone had their own opinions, all agreed that each place served a good dog. You can read more about it on Roadfood; both the Hot Dog Forum (NJ Hot Dog Tour) and also on the Miscellaneous and Food Related Forum. There are plenty of pictures too.

I enjoyed all of the dogs and went into detail on Roadfood. What sets Dees apart from the many hot dog trucks, carts, and restaurants serving "dirty water Sabretts" are a few things. She uses a 10 to a lb frank which is bigger than many places that use miniscule 11 and 12 to a lb dogs. JJ's in Newark switched to a skinless 12 to a lb dog 2 yeas ago. Dee's also uses a natural casing frank which is much better than the skinless dogs used by many. Perhaps the biggest difference in Dees dogs are that they are served hot and fresh. Too many establishments serve their dogs lukewarm. Dee never leaves her dogs in the water too long. When I sampled 87 hot dog joints 2 years ago, I had plenty of dirty water dogs. Many were in the water too long. They lose flavor and snap. Dee will throw out dogs rather than serve them if they're in the water longer than a few minutes. And although I get my dogs there with mustard only, she is known for her homemade chili and onion sauce.

I'll post here about our future trips in case some want to attend.

John the hot dog guy

I've put on annual Beer Tours in Philly for over 10 years, and I've always strived to visit places that had different brews on tap, so as to avoid overlap and repitition, never an easy task, and ultimately not totally achievable. But what you and Benzee achieved, John , was to give our enormous crowd six different and distinctive hot dog experiences, and that is an amazing feat. Add to that fact that each hot dog was terrific unto itself, and you have a stunning accomplishment.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Guys... I am so jealous! John, please keep me in the loop about future dog trips. I am in NJ a bit more now.

I didn't know that JJ's swithed to skinless about 2 years ago. I like his onions that are spicy.

John - do you recall a hot dog wagon that used to be off of St. Georges avenue in Linden years ago. I used to go there with my friend bob when we were kids so this would be the late, late 80's - early 90's. I think the truck was yellow and he was near where the train tracks are (were) and he made all different types of strange toppings on the dogs. For some reason I just thought of him. I think he made one with Peanut Butter and bananas. We would always go there late in the evening.

Scott,

Not sure about a wagon in Linden. There was (and still is) a truck on St . Georges Ave. in Rahway close to the Linden border. It's called Munce's. It was sold recently but they always had a big selection of toppings.

I'll let you know about our next get together.

John the hot dog guy

Rich, it was a pleasure to meet you this year! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and so did we (except for the chanting of my name, but that's not for this thread). It's funny, but both Brian and I also voted Dee's our favorite of the day, for a few reasons. Manny's Texas Weiners was for the overall experience and atmosphere, but Dee's was our favorite dog of the day. I enjoyed Jimmy Buff's more last year than this year, but it's not for me to nitpick when he's been so generous to us. We did not eat anything but those fantastic fries at Bubba's, and did not have anything at Galloping Hill. I didn't find out until the first trip report about the free food there that day! Nobody said a word about it...it's OK, though. I still have yet to eat a hot dog there. I enjoyed the WindMill's hot dog; Brian did not like the casing.

Please email me for the links to my two flickr photo sets from the Tour if you wish to see them.

Take care!

Even though it's only March, it's never too early to start thinking about the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. This year's, our sixth, will be held on Saturday, September 26th. I have a few good things planned that I hope come off. One stop that was planned was Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook. We had been to their Verona location in 2006. It proved a popular stop. Was looking forward to visiting their Bound Brook location which was bigger and better. Unfortunately, they closed yesterday.

This is the place to post if you want to attend. Also post your comments and suggestions as to where you want to go. This is your Tour and I want to include places that you would like to visit. As always, Benzee will handle the travel arrangements. This year we will have only one bus, so reserve your place early.

John the hot dog guy

I am interested in attending - how do I sign up? What is the cost, where is the meeting point, etc, etc.?????

Thanks!

DonnaMarieNJ

Hi Donna MarieNJ,

This year's Tour will be Saturday, September 26th. The cost has not been determined yet, but in the past it has been $20.00 to $25.00 for the bus and refreshments on the bus. You pay for what you eat at each stop. I'm working on the itinerary currently, and it will be a good mix of places as in the past.

Each year we meet in the parking lot of the Galloping Hill Inn in Union right off exit 138 of the Garden State Parkway. We are not collecting money yet, but you can reserve a spot on the bus. Last year we had 2 buses, but this year we will limit it to one. There will be a waiting list so reserve your spot early. Once we finalize everything, we ask for a check or money order by a certain date. If we don't receive it, we go to the waiting list.

To reserve your spot, e-mail my friend Benzee who will handling the travel arrangements. benzee95@hotmail.com.

John the hot dog guy

Even though it's only March, it's never too early to start thinking about the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. This year's, our sixth, will be held on Saturday, September 26th. I have a few good things planned that I hope come off. One stop that was planned was Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook. We had been to their Verona location in 2006. It proved a popular stop. Was looking forward to visiting their Bound Brook location which was bigger and better. Unfortunately, they closed yesterday.

This is the place to post if you want to attend. Also post your comments and suggestions as to where you want to go. This is your Tour and I want to include places that you would like to visit. As always, Benzee will handle the travel arrangements. This year we will have only one bus, so reserve your place early.

amazing Hot Dog closed their other location? What happened?

Video page isn't working for me. :sad: I wanna see!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie,

Go to http://www.localsource.com. Click on Union (on the left where the towns are) and then click on the story. At the end is a link to the video.

John the hot dog guy

Still doesn't work. I get a big title "Hot Dog Tour Movie" and then a big blank spot underneath that with a tiny little picture in the upper left corner like a photo that won't appear. Tried right clicking it, everything. It just doesn't seem to want to cooperate with my browser.

edited to add:

I tried a different browser, having inadvertently answered my own question and it worked. Very cool! Looks like some seriously good dog eating happening there. Sorry I missed it!!

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, the NJ Hot Dog Tour is one wacked-out,hot dog geek's-dream-come-true of a day, and this year's Tour also included a stop at a great German butcher shop. Like any Tour, if you pace yourself, you can really experience some terrific eating. This year's Tour was my third, and I hope I never ever miss one.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By gfron1
      I'm getting the topic kicked off although my time so far has been spent in the kitchen so I have experienced much of the weekend. Chris Hennes and Misstenacity showed up almost at the same time last night. I scurried them off to the tamale/tortilla workshop while I kept prepping for the tasting dinner tonight. I heard many pics were taken so I'll let them talk about the workshop. They'll be off for the Chile Fest in just a bit. Many, many more details to com.
    • By lesliec
      Content advisory: this is going to come across as an unalloyed rave, so let me say at the outset that I have no connection with Pen-y-bryn other than having stayed there.

Now we have that out of the way - we visited Oamaru for the annual steampunk festival at the end of May this year.  Oamaru, a small (pop. 13,500) town in the South Island, 250-odd kilometres south of Christchurch, is home to one of the best-preserved Victorian precincts in the country.  The Victorian heritage has been embraced by the community, first with Victorian re-enactments and now with the steampunk.  Oamaru calls itself the steampunk capital of New Zealand and the annual Queen's Birthday weekend festival is quite an event.  I could go on at length about it, but this is not the place.

Pen-y-bryn (Welsh for 'top of the hill' was built as a private residence in 1889 and is said to be the largest single-level residential building in New Zealand or Australia.  Here's the house:

I met one of the owners, James Glucksman, through eGullet a couple of years ago, and this seemed a good opportunity to meet my first eG member in person.  James and his partner James Boussy (collectively: the Jameses) are of US origin and have travelled extensively.  The lodge is filled with period furniture, some of it made for the original owner, and decorated with items the Jameses have collected in their travels.  There's a full-sized billiard table (one of three originally made for the New Zealand Parliament; only two would fit so the remaining one came south to Oamaru), a fantastic original Florentine ceiling in the dining room and any number of comfortable places to sit with a book and a drink.  James G is the chef and morning guy (how does that work?); James B is the gardener and evening guy.

Breakfasts are splendid affairs.  As well as (lodge-made) fruit compotes and wonderful jams, muesli and granola, there's always a freshly-made baked selection.  I can thoroughly recommend the croissants, although it's hardly fair to single them out, and I have now been introduced to the famous biscuits and gravy - not something often seen in this country:

Rather good, I must say, and I'd certainly have them again.  I think James said we were the first guests he'd tried them out on.  Sausage gravy, for those of you who are wondering, with just the right level of cayenne.  After that, if you have room, you can have your choice of eggs with bacon, tomato and mushrooms.

For the first few days of our stay we were deeply involved in festival affairs and weren't able to have much more than bed and breakfast at the lodge.  Not that that's anything to be sneezed at, and it was very pleasant to return exhausted in the evening and be met at the door by a James, then ushered into the drawing room for a nightcap - a cocktail, or perhaps a glass of James G's excellent nocino.

On the final day, though, we thought we'd be having a free day and arranged to have two of our friends who had travelled with us from Wellington join us for afternoon tea, to be followed by a proper dinner.  As it turned out we got involved in a photo session in the morning followed by helping pack out of the hall much of the festival had been in, and ended up with only minutes to spare to dress accordingly (one must!) before we were due for tea.  But we made it:

(Photo courtesy Pen-y-bryn)

What a splendid group of people, don't you think?  That's Mrs Hudson (the younger) on the left, then Professor Carwardine, myself (Colonel Hawthorne) and Captain Smollett.  A very distinguished gathering indeed - you may note we had abandoned most of our steampunk accoutrements in favour of a more pure Victorian look (save for my cravat pin, but you can't see that).  Our host was no less splendid:

OK, he didn't dress like that all the time - he cuts a decent figure in chefs' whites as well - but this is what eGullet members can look like when they put their minds to it.

We'd neglected to warn James until the day before of the gluten-free needs of one of the party, but he came through magnificently.  Coronation Chicken and radish/poppy seed/cream cheese sandwiches, feijoa/orange tea cakes, English Royalty currant scones with clotted cream and more of James's jam, along with rosewater/pistachio meringues.  All except the tea cakes were gluten-free, and everything was delicious.  I haven't experienced much gluten-free food, but if it's all like this (I believe it isn't!) I think I could cope.  This was accompanied by our choice from an extensive tea list.  The Jameses have lived in China and their knowledge of teas is vast - they can even do a full tea ceremony at the lodge if you wish.

A very nice touch at afternoon tea was a discreet printed menu so we knew what we were having.  This was also offered later at dinner, to which we now come.

Having dressed appropriately (again - we're getting quite good at it), Mrs Hudson (the younger) and myself descended to the drawing room.  James G had unfortunately been forced to take to his bed after our afternoon tea (we wore him out?), but his young sous-chef Ashley and James B between them gave us a memorable evening.  We began with cocktails and canapés.  For the former we introduced James to the Tolkien.  He's not big on mixed drinks, but allowed that this one was acceptable.  Ashley presented this offering:

Chorizo, mozzarella and cherry tomato with a balsamic reduction, and crostini with stracchino and saltwater pearls.  The chorizo and both cheeses were - again - made at Pen-y-bryn.

After a suitable interval we repaired to the dining room:

James offered a short but thoughtful wine list, and we went with this:

When one is in Otago, one must drink Otago, don't you think?  It was a good choice; warm and fruity and a good match for what followed.

First, cocoa-nib rubbed North Otago venison carpaccio, served with confit cherry tomatoes, sumac-sesame-pinenut soil and balsamic caviar:

This was a beautiful dish in every way.  Although our first meeting on eG was in the chamber sealer topic, I hadn't been aware quite how modernist James's cooking was (he told me later he likes to include modernist elements, but may dial it back depending on his audience.  He didn't have to hold back with us).  Ashley was able to chat happily about maltodextrin and spherification - I flatter myself she enjoyed having people there who knew what she was talking about!  But as the eG modernist community knows, it's not all about appearance; the food has to taste good.  And this certainly did.  If you're wondering, the white thing is a coconut sphere.

Then, after a lovely mixed fruit sorbet with triple sec, the main course.  Sous vide confit Canterbury duck leg with crumbed quenelle of pommes sarladais, sorrel gel, baby bok choy and haricots verts, and port wine sauce.  And look at the plate:

This was another lovely dish.  The duck was just as tender as you'd hope, with just the lightest crisping of the skin.  The potato quenelle was possibly the best of its type I've had, and the dots of sorrel gel provided a nice bitter note.

We had to finish eventually and it was in fine style, with passionfruit-lemon tart with crème Chantilly and vanilla-poached tamarillos (the photo was taken before the tamarillos went on):
          Again, delicious.  A shortcake-style base with delicious thick cream, complemented beautifully by the berry (I think) sauce and tamarillos.   After this it only remained to return to beside the fire in the drawing room to join some new friends we'd made on this trip.  A very lovely evening.   I can thoroughly recommend Pen-y-bryn for a luxury stay if you get to this part of the world.  I have only one criticism - it's completely ruined me for staying anywhere else.  Thanks, guys.  We'll be back.
    • By Kerry Beal
      And so it begins...

I arrived in Las Vegas at 10:30 or so this morning, picked up my rental car and hastened over the the Tuscany Suites to meet up with Chocolot.  After a brief cruise through all the loot that she had accumulated for the workshop we headed out to do a few errands.  We checked in with Melissa and Jean Marie to check that all was well for later in the week and to enjoy a little look around the facility.  I also had to deliver several bottles of wonderful looking paté that Alleguede had made for Jean Marie (I kept one bottle here for snacking purposes this week).  There was serious drooling going on over all the equipment they have available for us to play with.

What was to be a quick stop at Chef Rubber took a little longer than expected - there is a lot to look at there!  And to buy!

We investigated a couple of thrift stores - notably the Habitat for Humanity Reuse to grab a couple of items that will show their usefulness later this week.

And for dinner we hit Lotus of Siam.  We know that we are going back there this week - but it is a place I've wanted to check out since FG wrote about it a few years ago.  And you can never eat too much Thai can you?

Jasmine tea for me.  

Chicken larb.

Khao soi - noodles with a red thai sauce.  And the condiments to go with them - some sort of pickled green (perhaps mustard), onion and of course lime.  

Pepper garlic shrimp - didn't see a table without this one!

And fried rice with veg and egg. 

Right now Ruth is cruising the internet reviews to see what we should order when we return there on Thursday.  
    • By Bu Pun Su
      French food is my favorite cuisine and l’Arpege is my favorite restaurant. Currently, entering the 4th year that I haven’t returned to l’Arpege (Since ’06, I usually make an effort to go there at least once every 2 years). At the very least I had a chance to savor Alain Passard’s cuisine in late ’12 when he became a guest Chef at Beaufort hotel Sentosa – the most memorable part was when Alain personally cooked 2 Brittany lobsters for me. Fortunately, Singapore has a restaurant owned and run by Passard’s apprentice & his former sous chef, Gunther Hubrechsen. Therefore, whenever I crave for (home-style) French cooking that’s light, delicate and delicious, I often come here. Similar to my Les Amis’ experience, I’ve actually been here about 4 times since 2008 but never wrote a (serious) review even once. As a matter of fact, Gunther’s is one of my favorite restaurants in Singapore
      I had dinner at Gunther’s in the same week as my meal at Les Amis. On purpose, I ordered carte-blanche here with similar budget to the Les Amis’ degustation menu. I wondered how these 2 elite gastronomy restaurants (cooking nouvelle cuisine without any molecular element) would fare against each other. A short comparison in a glance,
      Les Amis = 7 courses including one dessert. 2 courses with caviar and 3 courses with black truffle. There were scallop, lobster and wagyu beef
      Gunther’s = 8 courses with a dessert. 1 dish with caviar and also 3 courses with black truffle. There were scallop, gambas and wagyu beef
      Anyway, I ate and enjoyed very much the following stuffs at Gunther’s (my top 3 dishes):
      1st: cold angel hair pasta with Oscietra caviar - the restaurant’s most well-known dish and Chef Hubrechsen should be proud of it. It’s the 3rd time I savor this dish; it’s still very delicious – the flavor, the smells, the texture and all other elements were spot on. High degree of consistency...
      5th: carabinero gambas with tomato rice – given how far Spain from Singapore is, the kitchen did a good job in preparing this prawn. I tasted the gambas’ freshness and sweet flavor; it’s well-seasoned too. The Japanese rice cooked with the prawn’s stock and tomato was pleasant except I prefer rice with firmer texture (like in risotto or paella)
      6th: grilled scallop with black truffle – the main highlight of my meal. The Hokkaido scallop was juicy and tender though not as tasty as the one I had at Les Amis. However, it’s well-enhanced by the sublime and sweet caramelized onion below as well as the pungent winter truffle aroma and flavor on top of it. I liked the onion very much here – a good example how Gunther brought out the essence of its ingredient; possibly the closest one (in terms of ‘deliciousness’) to the Passard’s perfect onion gratin with parmesan that looks deceptively simple
      What makes Gunther’s special is that the talented Belgian chef-owner is capable of generating many different kind of ‘unassuming’ dishes and elevating them to higher level using no more than 3 fresh produce on each plate. It seems modest at times, but actually quite sophisticated. Let me describe a few more dishes I had,
      4th: roasted garlic with onion essence – if I had to pick one dish I like the least, it’s probably the one. The roasted garlic had smooth texture and good smell, well-integrated with mascarpone sauce. However, I found the (garlic) portion was too big. After consuming 2/3 of them, I just swallowed the rest (almost no chewing) so that I wouldn’t be too stuffed and/or dilute my palate for the next dishes
      7th: Char grilled wagyu beef in bordelaise sauce – this was the main course served in a nice portion with a right amount of “fat”. Delicate Japanese beef was generally a safe choice; the chef didn’t do too much and just allowed the natural flavor of high quality wagyu to shine. The sauce and the grilled corn were precisely executed. Nothing wow but it’s hard not to like Japanese beef J
      8th: Truffle parfait – dessert. It’s a soft and light vanilla ice cream served with rich chocolate brownie and topped with aromatic smell induced by the Perigord truffle (having slight peppery taste). I hardly eat dessert with truffle in it. This one was sweet and rather delicious
      There were a couple more dishes I had and you can see/read them on the picture link below. For the meal, I drank 2 glasses of wine. The first glass was 2010 Vincent girardin chassagne-Montrachet; it’s rich and creamy with buttery aromas. The second one was 2009 Black quail Pinot noir; it’s medium bodied with dark berries delicate fragrance and dry finish in slight acidity – a quite refined pinot noir that surprisingly went along nicely with my scallop dish (of course, better with the beef). Oh before I forget, this place only offers one type of bread and butter – to be exact warm mini baguette and salted butter served at room temperature – simple but good; I ate 3 baguettes if not mistaken. The meal ended with a petit four consisting of a green tea macaron and canele – both were fine.
      It was a quiet evening, about half of the restaurant’s capacity was filled. Probably most people were still busy to attend reunion dinner with their friends and colleagues. The dining room decoration was minimalist dominated by dark grey color for the walls (some paintings were hung on them) and medium lighting. This way guests would not feel overwhelmed and the food took center stage. The staffs were polite and helpful without being intrusive. Besides the sommelier, one friendly “Indian” maitre d’ and the greeter, most of restaurants’ FOH staffs were relatively new. Chef Hubrechsen, usually visiting the dining room to greet guests, explained that the staffs turnover at Singapore restaurants were still very high; he even did not have any permanent sous chef assisting him in the kitchen. So the good thing is that it’s almost guaranteed Gunther himself would always be in the kitchen daily to ensure food quality.
      I gave my overall meal experience at Gunther’s nearly 94 pts (a good 2 ¼* by Michelin standard) and it meant about the same level as Shinji by Kanesaka Singapore and Eric Frechon’s Le Bristol, seriously. Another lovely meal, and overall it ranked as the most memorable one I’ve ever had here. Well, there was no bad meal experience at Gunther’s. Hope I can return again sometimes next year, even better if not on my own expenses. Lastly, I prefer this place over Les Amis by a small margin. Check here for pictures, https://picasaweb.google.com/118237905546308956881/GuntherSRestaurantSingapore#
    • By Kerry Beal
      Today we started out with a trip to the college to start getting ourselves set up for tomorrow. Then at 10 am we met at ChocolateFX and started our tour. Of course hair nets are obligatory if you are going to go into a food manufacturing facility!

Wilma and Art had the small pan set up so that we could pan some raisins.

Here's Pat (psantucc), with beard appropriately netted, applying some chocolate to the raisins.

Ava (FrogPrincesse's little one) preparing to add more chocolate, Kyle helping and FrogPrincesse awaiting her turn.

The fancy packing machine.

Listening with rapt attention to Wilma explaining the making of ganache truffles in the round silicone molds.