• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gobs of Pecans

Lindacakes

I bought a couple of packages of pecans, thinking I needed them for a recipe. I didn't use them. I'm stuck with a lot of pecans.

Suggestions?

What would you do with a large amount of pecans?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

You can make spiced pecans and store in the freezer -- lovely for Thanksgiving and Christmas table.

Also, pralines are always a hit.

Butter pecan ice cream.

And if nothing strikes your fancy, you can keep them in the freezer and they keep very well for a long time.

They are so good in Claire Clark's Oatmeal, Pecan Cookies. The recipe takes about 1/2 lb. She also uses dried apricots and cherries but I have a chocolate loving family so 1/2 lb of dark Callebaut chocolate ends up in mine instead.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Slovak nut roll, with pecans instead of walnuts.

Pecan Tassies

Pecan-crusted Chicken

http://www.pecan.com/recipes.htm

http://southernfood.about.com/od/pecans/Pecan_Recipes.htm - note: I've made the butter-toasted pecans in this list - they are just too good.

http://www.ilovepecans.org/recipes.html

Have fun, and let us know what you decide do with them. Always looking to try something new.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Also, pralines are always a hit.

Good ol' New Orleans stye pralines. I have to make huge quantities of those every year around christmas. I think people in this area where I live must have been deprived of the fact that they exist because I made a few for friends when I first moved here and now I have a whole list (that keeps growing) of people who order them every year along with the friends who expect them and get a bit grumpy if I don't do them. I don't mind making them but pecans are really expensive here so I have to sell them for more than I feel good about.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Odd that you should mention this. Today I am preparing pecan rice.

A medley of brown, red and black rice with a cup of pecans stirred after the rice has cooked and now it will be held with the "KeepWarm" function until this evening. This allows the pecan flavor to infuse into the rices without them turning to mush.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Make my pecan brittle.

RUTH’S PECAN BRITTLE

4 cups pecan pieces

¼ cup whipping cream

¼ cup light corn syrup

¼ cup water

1 cup sugar

¼ cup butter

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon vanilla

Butter a half-sheet pan; set aside. Preheat oven to 200*. Place pecans in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Keep warm in oven while candy is cooking. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine cream, corn syrup, water and sugar. Place over medium-high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil If sugar crystals are present, wash down with a wet pastry brush. Cook to 285* Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Continue cooking to 270* Stir in salt, soda and vanilla. Add warm pecans. Stir to coat nuts. Pour onto prepared baking sheet. Using 2 forks, and working quickly, separate brittle into fairly large pieces. Allow to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

- Make pecan sticky buns!

- Salt and pepper some filets of chicken or fish, roll them in chopped pecans, then pan fry 'em.

- Add chopped toasted pecans to banana muffins, or even better, to banana pancakes for breakfast.

- Stir finely chopped pecans into crepe batter, make crepes, then stuff 'em with slices of apples or pears sauteed in butter. Drizzle on some caramel sauce.

- Make David Lebovitz's recipe for Buttercrunch Toffee. Substitute pecans for the almonds. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2005...latealmond.html

If you store the pecans in airtight bags in the freezer, they'll last for months. My late father in law used to drive halfway across the state to collect pecans at his favorite tree on the old family property. All fall/winter, he'd sit in front of the TV and crack pecans, saving the nutmeats for his wife's pralines.

I put pecans in all sorts of things...make a cheeseball/log and roll it in pecans. Saute pecans in butter and cayenne pepper and a pinch of sugar for tossing in salads, sprinkling over grilled fish or pork, or eating out of hand. Pecan pie, of course, and my new favorite pecan sandies from Dorie Greenspans "Baking--My Home to Yours" cookbook. Page 127, I think. Greenspan's recipe calls for finely grinding the pecans, a techinque that opens up the world of nut-enriched cookies & cakes.

Honestly, the most common way I eat pecans is sprinkled over Fage yogurt, with a drizzle of local honey.

Mmmmmm . . . there seems to be a preponderance of brittle people out there. Brittle sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try Ruth's recipe this weekend.

Brittle also sounds like a good idea for Christmas presents.

Also pralines.

What's the holding time for these goodies, i.e., how far can I make them ahead?

There's a recipe for pecan meringues in Recipe Gullet that I also want to try.

Thank you for your suggestions, all good, and I'll work on 'em till the pecans are gone!

Brittle, praline, and buttercrunch can be kept for quite a while, as long as the final product is kept in a cool, dry place. When I make my brittles, etc, I store them in aluminum tins.

If you run out of things you want to try, you can store the pecans in airtight containers. I use a Seal-a-Meal with a vacuum on it, then keep them stored away from direct light. I have kept walnuts, pecans, macadamias, and pistachios for over a year by using this method.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

When it came time to do the baking I realized I didn't have cream -- I made a recipe in Heirloom Baking (Brass Sisters) that called for two cups of pecans.

Ooooweee. That was good. Has a butterscotch brownie base, a layer of toasted pecans, and then a brown sugar meringue topping. Just delicious and a big hit at poker night.

Nice contrast in textures, nutty and chewy.