• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Capital

fergal

I went past the hotel and saw that the new Head Chef is Richard Hondier. I noted that prices are unchanged, even if the cuisine has become simpler and Chavot is no longer your ** Chef. Although on their website, Assiette Landaise is still mentioned.

I have experienced this dish and the Saddle of Rabbit and they were indeed memorable.

Is Chavot named Eric Chavot or Eric Chavot Crouillere as I saw somewhere once or is this a mistake or maybe another person ?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh that's interesting. Ponchelle was the chap who was appointed Michel Bourdain's spiritual heir at the Connaught (I think he also married Bourdain's daughter) when he retired from Carlos Place. However he was then somewhat uncermoniously turfed out when they signed up Angela Hartnett for the space (less than?) a year later.

At the time, if I recall, his style was very much old school Michel Bourdain Escoffier. No doubt it has moved on somewhat in the interregnum, but Wilton's isn't known for innovation either. One suspects the only foams there would be used by the plongeurs.

It will be interesting to see how he does at the Capital. My first thought would be very good execution, but more luxury classical (verging on the retro) styling. However it would be unfair to judge so early on; let's see how it goes.

J

PS it is also welcome news to see Andrew Turner replacing him at Wiltons. In my experience Turner is an excellent and underrated chef who was slightly lost in the pile that is the Landau. It will be interesting to see if he ports across his signature tastings menus to the more clubby environs of Wiltons...

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!