• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Deluxe - Wayne, NJ - Any thoughts?

JrZyChris

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this place out yet. They opened in the beginning of September and are located (if you are headed northbound on 23) right where the Spindletop Diner and then later, Northstar Diner used to be located. Just before the Rt 23 / Packanack Lake Road intersection.

We couldnt get into the parking lot.....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We were there opening night & then again a couple of wks later. The burgers are pretty good, but even though you request "rare," they really don't come out that way. The first trip I had a turkey burger which was OK. The fries are very good. Service is pretty good. The parking lot is not the best.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Had dinner there for the first time last night. Was not a busy--though we ended up there around 9PM. My initial impression of the restaurant was that the staff was not on top of their cleaning duties! I spotted a couple of flies buzzing and tables were not being bused as quickly as I would have liked. There was also food on the floor, fries that had fallen off people's tables, things like that. Not filthy by any means but not the way I think a restaurant should present itself.

It's always hopping, though, so I stayed and my boyfriend said his mushroom/swiss burger was good. Not great. Fries were OK. I did not get a burger (I know!) but it was too late for me so I had an Asian chicken salad: generic mesclun with grilled chicken and chopped cucumber and tomato. There was one piece of undercooked/raw chicken but the dressing was bright, gingery and the chicken tasted like it'd been marinated.

It's not exactly a diner, but the burgers did not seem to stand out or differentiate themselves in any way so as to merit a second visit. Especially after I spotted the Five Guys sign in the Michael's shopping center just north on 23!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Took the opportunity to spend a nice lunch break with the wife without the daughter (she had to take off work for a doctor visit). Since we heard a lot about this new joint on 23, figured we'd give it a shot. It was pretty crowded at 1:15 on a Monday afternoon and the parking lot was just about full.

I agree with the above reviews - service was not fantastic, but not horrible. It seemed like our young waiter was rather inexperienced and I had to wait for my Diet Coke refills after asking and even give the waiter a reminder stare.

As far as the food - perfectly average. Better than Fudruckers and Fatburger but its no Gaffer's, Luger's. The burger was cooked to order, fresh toppings, nice sharp blue cheese. The fries were delivered in a cute pomme frittes upside down cone contraption. We were too full to attempt a sample of the 'cupcake of the day' but we managed to save a little room for a classic chocolate shake. While a little but small for the price (about 12-16oz), it was solidly decent.

Since the prices were very fair, we will definitely go back again. If you're looking for upscale yuppy food, keep looking. The retro 50's decor was cute but not something I'd want in my dining room.