• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

College Tour and Dining-Seattle, Portland, Eugene

I can't believe my baby is getting ready to choose colleges, but 'tis so. She and I, along with her boyfriend and his mother, are planning a 4 day visit to Puget Sound, U of O, Lewis and Clark and Willamette, right before Thanksgiving. The "princess daughter" is a little bit picky--no tomatoes pass her lips, and she's not a big beef eater (although she ordered steak at Jamie Oliver's 15 in London, and swooned over it), bf loves pasta, does not enjoy bacon (??!) but otherwise seems willing to try stuff, and cooks a bit. I'm not certain about his mom's eating prefs. We'll need bfast, lunch and dinner recs in or around Seattle, Portland and Eugene, and would appreciate any must sees or college hang-out favs...all I can think of at the moment is that the bf will love the flying fish at Pike market.

Thanks so much for any recommendations!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Have you searched this board? People probably aren't answering because specific threads already exist for each city. And if you follow LEdlund's link, you'll find a terrific thread on eateries in the Pike Place Market.

If you want more information, you may want to be more specific in your request. Are you looking for specific types of meals (Pac NW inspired, Asian, Vegetarian)? What is your price range for each meal? Where are you staying? How far are you willing to drive?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

sorry it was so broad.

does this narrow it down:

any particular college favorites or must-sees or traditions for potential students of u of o, university of puget sound, lewis and clark, and/or willamette.

i appreciate the link to the other board, and will post there as soon as the moderator approves my request.

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

My #3 son, who still attends the UofO, apparently eats at least six times a week (boy, I hope I'm exaggerating!) at Burrito Boy, which has several outlets near the university. My #2 son, who lives in San Francisco and appreciates fine food, insists on at least two or three stops at Burrito Boy when he's home for a visit. So I'd call this a college favorite. I've eaten there several times and it's quite good, but it's not the addiction for me it is for them--must be because I did my undergrad elsewhere!

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

For college eats in Eugene, try Sy's pizza, Brail's (which is an american diner that also serves good korean food) Toshi's ramen is good also. 5th street market has a good food court. Glenwood is good for breakfast/brunch, as is studio one cafe (which does a great french toast with an almond custard and rasberry compote)

While your in town check out Beppe and Gianni's for good italian food, then prince puckler's across the street for ice cream.

thanks--these are perfect! just what i was looking for--the french toast sounds divine. we will be in both seattle and tacoma, so if anyone has suggestions, i surely appreciate the help!

www.chezcherie.com

In Eugene, I'll second Toshi's for ramen and Sy's for pizza (and garlic knots). If you make it to Burrito Boy you can't go wrong with the lengua burrito. I'd also add Maple Garden for inexpensive and delicious Chinese.

Marche at the 5th St. Market is arguably the best food in town. If your troupe isn't interested in fine dining for dinner, you might consider it for Sunday brunch.