• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Wine Glasses

tim

Hi,

We are looking for practical wine glasses for a restaurant. We want good shapes stems, thin/clear glass and reasonable prices. Riedels Restaurant glasses appear to be one options but we would like to know about the new unbreakable (triton, kwarx, etc.) glasses.

Obviously, cost is also a factor and we would appreciate knowing restaurant opinions on the value of alternative glasses.

Thanks,

Tim

Chris,

It's casual restaurant with sophisitcated new american cuisine. Mains run from $15 - $24 and wines range from $32 to $80.

We are looking for practical wine glasses for the lower end wines.

Tim

If the non-glass glasses don't feel and behave like glass, don't do it. The only time plastic glasses should be used is on the patio. Otherwise, I'd be pretty pissed if I was served wine in a plastic glass.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Not from a restaurant standpoint: We use Triton glasses at home, and while they are NOT unbreakable, they are very durable and stand up extremely well to the dishwasher. When I say "not unbreakable", I mean that they will break if you drop them from some distance onto the floor. But they will not break or chip if you just tip them over, even onto a hard surface. I'd think they'd be worth a premium of whatever percent over a standard fairly high-end glass - but probably not over a really cheap glass, because they are pretty costly. They look and feel great, by the way.