• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is Pork Maw the same as Caul Fat?

adey73

"Maw" is an colloquial word meaning "mouth" or "jaw". . . or, curiously enough, meaning "stomach." In the American South, if you hear "hog maw" it most likely refers to a pig stomach.

Caul fat is a fatty membrane that surrounds the internal organs of a pig, cow, etc. Completely different.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

The root of the word originally meant bag or sack so it often refers to the stomach or other internal organs (fish maw is often the swimbladder, sow maw is sometimes the stomach, sometime the womb). Maw as used as a reference to the mouth/jaws/gullet is a reference to this area as the opening of the sack of the stomach.

Its an old fashioned sort of word now, but I wonder why it is used so much now in context of a translation of a animal internal body part.

Hi Adey, i think pork maw is the actual stomach itself. It's quite common in Chinese cooking, we put it in in soups as one of those textural things. Never cooked it myself but it's one of those old fashioned ingredients my mum used to feed to me when i was a child. Why it's called Pork Maw and not just Pork Tripe i don't know.

Ahhh thanks for that.

Have you ever sourced Caul Fat with your adventures with pig?

Am passing through Brum in October and I know the market has lots of butchers stocking the gnarly bits. You got any ideas/recommendations where I could get some Caul when am there?

No, never had the pleasure of using it. Though I’ve always wanted to make my own faggots using caul fat, a good local dish that when made right deserves praise.

I don’t plan to go to the indoor market this week so can’t advise whether the dozen or so gnarly butchers in there will supply it. In fact if you go before me you can ask around and let me know! The one to go to is in the centre next to Pearce’s Shellfish, I think they’re called Doherty’s (or A&P) and usually have the gnarly-ist stuff on display. They seem to shift the most offal and I’ve had some very good calves liver from there in the past. Have a good look around the market anyway, there’s another shellfish stall G Smiths that is also worthy of a mention and Barlow’s fish will surprise you with their variety. There’s a little gem of a SE Asian grocers too.

Caul fat is interesting stuff, what you planning on doing with it? What meaty offally treats have you in mind, nudge, nudge.

Hi,

The caul fat that is harvested for cooking purposes is the membrane lining the diaphragm. The diaphragm is attached to the skirt and has the hanging tender laying across the middle. This allows for a large round sheet of the lace-like fat.

Picture of Caul Fat

In the US, the USDA no longer permits sales of caul fat. It is available from some State inspected meat processors.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

I must try to look in at the indoor market when I next go to Birmingham. I have a vague recollection of collecting a Christmas bird from the old market circa 1960. Long lines of turkeys hanging by their feet ready to be sold.

Doherty's seem to have a phone so you could try phoning them:

Doherty Butchers

Stall 122, Indoor Market Trader, Pershore St, Birmingham, West Midlands B5 6PA

Tel: 0121 666 7405

Prawncrackers- Am going to make a plate of piggy goodness and one element was going to be tenderloin worth a pork forcemeat from some trimming stuck to it and then wrapped in the Caul to keep it together.

Prawncrackers- Am going to make a plate of piggy goodness and one element was going to be tenderloin worth a pork forcemeat from some trimming stuck to it and then wrapped in the Caul to keep it together.

You can get by without the caul fat. Cut open the tenderloin, stuff it with the forcemeat, wrap hard in double layer clingfilm and put in the freezer until firm but not frozen. Unwrap, sear in pan (while praying it all won't collapse), finish in oven.

Or you could try the opposite: Sear tenderloin quickly, stuff, wrap, poach in simmering water with clingfilm still in place.