• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

unmolding

Chocolot

Yesterday, I unmolded 20 trays. Some of them (the ones I really like) just softly plopped out--it was a joy to behold. Then some of the others needed a lot more help. I had to refrigerate and then beat them until I thought the mold police would arrest me for abuse! Does ayone else have this problem? I think the chocolate is in temper-after all, some of them plopped. All of them looked great once they were out. I clean the molds and polish with cotton balls religiously. I never wash them. It didn't seem to matter the design-some plopped and some didn't. I think I treated all of them equally when shelling and filling. Do you ever get to the point that they ALL plop? Someone please give me hope.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

It's usually a matter of time and having the perfect temper. I sometimes have the same problem and no matter what, I have to refrigerate the molds, even after waiting a day. Chocolate will continue to shrink for up to 48 hours, as far as I know, so patience is key here. If your chocolate has been properly crystallized, you should have at least a 95% success rate in getting the chocolates to release, or higher.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

I can't remember who on eG taught me this trick but it works quite often:

This assumes polycarbonate molds with a little "give" to them. Turn the mold upside down close to a clean surface then take opposite corners and twist in the same manner as you would to release ice cubes from their trays.

Some molds are simply too rigid to use this trick but when it works it's great.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

From my experience its all a matter of temper - not just having the chocolate in good temper when it goes into the mould but also allowing the mould to cool properly so that it stays in temper.

I use the method Anna N described above of twisting the mould. Occassionaly one or two will stick and they need a gentle tap of the corner of the mould to release.

could also be the thickness of the chocolate shells. sometimes, if the shells are too thin there's just not enough mass for the shrinking to pull them away from the sides enough. also, with all the polishing, there's actually static to take into consideration.

could also be the thickness of the chocolate shells. sometimes, if the shells are too thin there's just not enough mass for the shrinking to pull them away from the sides enough.  also, with all the polishing, there's actually static to take into consideration.

I think that might be the problem. Some of the shells were so thin they broke. I'll try making them a bit thicker. Thanks.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I have more difficulty with unmolding milk and white, and sometimes even if I unmold perfectly tempered dark after a few days some pieces still stick. After a bit of headscratching I realized the pieces that stuck were exactly on top of where my fingers were when I held the mold for filling and capping......

I have more difficulty with unmolding  milk and white, and sometimes even if I unmold perfectly tempered dark after a few days some pieces still stick.  After a bit of headscratching I realized the pieces that stuck were exactly on top of where my fingers were when I held the mold for filling and capping......

That's an interesting observation and something I will be watching for. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog