• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Rabbit Candy Linked to Tainted Milk

sheetz

Saw this article posted on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_on_...te_rabbit_candy

I wonder how many of us ate these growing up. Just about all the Chinese kids I knew ate them.

oh no, our kids favourite candy.....wasn't it funny to watch the uninitiated try to peel the paper off! and when I told my son just now he said he ate a whole packet a month ago. He is now compiling a mental list of all the Chinese products with milk in them that he has eaten recently...and then he said, 'what about vitasoy?' ...duh

Wow, this isn't even the first time White Rabbit has been embroiled in controversy. There was a formaldehyde-related recall in 2007:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../289512/1/.html

but to be fair, the company stated that the tainted rabbits were actually from imitators.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Saw this article posted on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_on_...te_rabbit_candy

I wonder how many of us ate these growing up. Just about all the Chinese kids I knew ate them.

I was talking about white rabbits a few weeks ago with an Indonesian Chinese friend and she was surprised I knew about them too (I'm Chinese but from the States). She said she thought it was only an Indonesan thing - I said no, all Chinese kids ate them, no matter where they grew up.

I STILL do, after 40 some years. What is going to happen? Will my face turn yellow now? Oh... wait... it's already yellow.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I STILL do, after 40 some years. What is going to happen? Will my face turn yellow now? Oh... wait... it's already yellow.

:biggrin:

hehe

you might go white? :raz:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

• 1 year later...

Oh, oh. It's 2010. Just bought a bag of White Rabbit candy for the first time to try them and now find this topic. Mine are good to October 2010.

Anyone hear of any contamination lately?

I have a recipe to make it from Anita Chu's (Pastry Girl) Field Guide to Candy and will do so next week.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The article jo-mel linked this topic to said:

"White Rabbit candy, first produced in 1959 to mark the 10th anniversary of new China, is now a household name in China, and is sold to more than 50 countries and regions."

Anita Chu (Pastry Girl) in her new candy book, Field Guide to Candy says:

"White Rabbit Cream Candy was invented by Aipixi Candy Factory in 1943."

And, thanks for asking, we are still feeling fine. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.