• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Springfield's Original Cashew Chicken

mudbug

For those of you familiar with Springfield's Original Cashew Chicken, created by David Leong of Leong's Tea House which closed in 1997, you may be interested in the following information:

Bill Chiu, a dear friend of David Leong's, and one of the founders of the cashew chicken landmark The Bamboo Inn passed away this past Saturday, September 20, 2008. The Bamboo Inn opened it's doors in 1973 and was the first restaurant outside of the Leong family to sell the original recipe which remained unchanged through 2008. Visitation for Bill Chiu is today and funeral services are tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m.

The Bamboo Inn closed it's doors for the last time in March of 2008. A blog has been created in tribute to the restaurant and as a means for those who have moved away from the area, to pay their respects to Bill, catch up with his brother who also worked there for the duration, and to share memories and stories of the eatery. Please feel free to pass along this information and comment at their site, since the circumstances surrounding health issues did not allow them the luxury of time in officially being able to say goodbye to their patrons who were very much their family. Their family would love to hear from you.

http://thebambooinn.blogspot.com/

Edited by mudbug (log)

When DH and I were first married (1974), we lived a couple of blocks from Bamboo Inn... As poor college students both working full-time, we ate many, many meals from Bamboo Inn. I actually have their recipe for the Springfield Cashew Chicken. Haven't made it for years...

I just read this post to DH and he said, "Bamboo Inn! I hep you???"